Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical TECH WEEK: Cutting curved laminated glass the cheap and easy way.

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Morgan91, Feb 22, 2014.

1. morac41

morac41

Hi Morgan 91....Thanks for posting ..have been hangin to see how you cut your screen....are you still useing a two piece or did you install it all in one piece screen..I have several curved screens to practice on...my install is for a 49 Caddy split screen chopped 4 1/2"...have found 70's VW Kombie is nearly the correct curve and I should get the 2 screens out of it..they are pretty cheap so not to expensive if I stuff a couple up.... Doug

2. 53choptop

53choptop

3. fourtogo

fourtogo
    from long beach

Auto glass guys don't like doing old/used glass. They will tell you no <!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:TrackMoves/> <w:TrackFormatting/> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:DoNotPromoteQF/> <w:LidThemeOther>EN-US</w:LidThemeOther> <w:LidThemeAsian>X-NONE</w:LidThemeAsian> <w:LidThemeComplexScript>X-NONE</w:LidThemeComplexScript> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> <w:SplitPgBreakAndParaMark/> <w:DontVertAlignCellWithSp/> <w:DontBreakConstrainedForcedTables/> <w:DontVertAlignInTxbx/> <w:Word11KerningPairs/> <w:CachedColBalance/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> <m:mathPr> <m:mathFont m:val="Cambria Math"/> <m:brkBin m:val="before"/> <m:brkBinSub m:val="&#45;-"/> <m:smallFrac m:val="off"/> <m:dispDef/> <m:lMargin m:val="0"/> <m:rMargin m:val="0"/> <m:defJc m:val="centerGroup"/> <m:wrapIndent m:val="1440"/> <m:intLim m:val="subSup"/> <m:naryLim m:val="undOvr"/> </m:mathPr></w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--> guarantees on used glass. They don't know how it's been handled or abused. If it cracks while chopping it down, it be will I am sorry.

4. navyboy

navyboy

interseting.

5. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Actually, I've had MUCH better luck with doing old windshields. The newer, foreign made ones are made of thinner glass, and often cannot be picked up carelessly after beign chopped. They just break under their own weight. Old ones are stronger, thicker!
    The curvier they are, the harder they are to cut without problems.

6. Morgan91

Morgan91
    from Australia

No worries! Yeah im still running a split windshield at the moment... will eventually try and get a one peice olds one for it.

7. gas pumper

gas pumper

The plastic film that gets cloudy with age from the edges can be from having to put a lot of pressure around the gasket as you work the glass into the gasket. It will separate a little and not show up for a while as fogged. So making the glass a little undersized helps. Also on curved glass sometimes tweeking the metal flange to better suit the glass can make getting the glass in easier. Pre-fitting the glass to the hole and looking for misalignment and consistant gaps can help. A fresh new gasket makes installing easier. Once they get hard and start cracking they are hard to work with.

I had always cut the plastic with a razor blade and never tried the fire method.

Painting the edge all around the glass helps seal the plastic to the glass and keeps moisture from getting in there.

8. nomadabug

nomadabug

I used methyl- hydrate (hardware store) to separate the laminate. It burns much cleaner and is hotter. In fact, if the cut on both sides is in line, the methyl-hydrate (alcohol ) will dissolve the laminate without igniting it.