Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical TECH WEEK: Chopping a Pre-War GM Coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Curt Six, May 6, 2021.

1. Curt Six

Curt Six

01 unchopped overhead.jpg

A while back I took my ’41 Buick Super to @Cody Walls shop, Traditional Metalcraft, and we spent the week chopping the top and taking a bunch of photos. We ran a short, one-page story on it in issue #82 of The Rodder’s Journal, but I’d always intended to post a step-by-step here on the HAMB, so here it is. I think a lot of this can be applied to many of the turret-top GM coupes from about 1939 to just after the war (pre-’39 GMs have a similar roofline, but the tulip/catwalk area doesn’t have the defined bodyline wrapping below the back window that the ’39-and-up cars have, so laying down that backlight and dealing with the sail panels would be a little different).

Some of these notes are very basic “Customizing 101” types of things, but I’m putting them in here anyway. Twenty years ago when I first found the HAMB I learned an awful lot digging through threads like Cleatus’ “A Fool Chops at Home” (still one of my favorites). I always liked that you could find everything from the most basic info to the most advanced right here, so hopefully this adds to that archive.

PREPARATION, PLANNING & MEASURING
    02 paint removal overhead.jpg
    I removed all the trim, glass, window tracks, vent windows, etc. in my shop before taking the car to Cody’s. That stuff always takes longer than you think—especially when you’re wrestling with 80-year-old window gaskets and trying not to break the back glass. With that out of the way, we stripped the primer off the areas around where we’d be cutting.

I studied a bunch of different chops on early-’40s cars while figuring out how I was going to chop mine. I really liked the proportions of Jake Christmas’ Buick from Texas. He was kind enough to send me some measurements off of his car—which had 3” taken out of the pillars—so we knew we’d be cutting at least that much.

03a marking up chop labled.jpg

04a marking up chop labled.jpg
    Cut lines were marked using a 3” wide cardboard template that we could wrap around the A and B-pillars. Cody uses a ballpoint pen to make his marks (in these photos I went over them digitally in red to make them easier to see). I suppose this could be done with Dykem and a scribe, but pen is quick and easy and gives you an accurate line. Just don’t use tape because it will burn back as you cut and then all that measuring you did is out the window.

The “vertical” lines on the pillars provide a centerline that will help with alignment when everything’s coming back together. It goes without saying that those vertical lines should extend above and below your horizontal cut lines so they’re visible once the pillars are chopped.

06 unchopped profile paint removed.jpg
    Here’s one last look at the un-chopped profile. I didn't take pictures of the bracing, but the car was braced with 1” square steel tube welded inside the cabin in an X shape below the window line—driver’s side A-pillar to passenger’s side B-pillar and vice versa. That keeps the body from getting out of shape when the structure normally provided by the roof is removed. Once that’s done, it’s time to cut your perfectly good car to pieces.

THE CHOP
    07 cutting B-pillar.jpg
    The first cuts should be at the top cut line. That way you can chop the pillars while they’re still attached to the car (it’s difficult to cut the part of the pillar that’s attached to the roof after it’s separated from the body because the roof becomes so flimsy). A 4-1/2” metal cut-off wheel was used to make most of the cuts. When you're cutting through those pillars, the inner structure can grab the wheel, which can make a standard wheel explode. To avoid shrapnel, spring for a few of the diamond blade metal wheels. They’re about $12 at Home Depot and will last a whole lot longer than the standard discs.

08 cutting inner structure.jpg
    Here Cody’s cutting out the inner quarter window area, which will be chopped and replaced later on. These inner supports help stiffen things up and they also provide things like mounting points for the headliner bows.

09 B-pillar and sail panel cut.jpg
    The proportions of the quarter windows kind of drive the rest of the profile, and since I didn’t want to alter the angle of the B-pillar or shrink the length of the windows too much we cut out the top halves and left the bottoms intact. That way we could chop the quarter windows first, then do the rest of the roof around them.

10 cutting windshield center bar.jpg
    The center windshield support has mounting points for the stainless trim that separates the glass, so we were careful to leave those intact.

11 cutting through roof support.jpg
    Last cut, then the roof was free.

Last edited: May 7, 2021
    dana barlow, ClarkH, brEad and 5 others like this.
  2. Curt Six

Curt Six

12a lifting off roof.jpeg
    13a roof removed.jpeg
    14 overhead of roof removed.jpg
    With the roof removed you can see the bracing inside the car.

14a head on roof in place.jpeg
    We set the roof back in place and I really liked the 3” chop. I thought the windshield height and the profile looked good, so we didn’t cut any more. Sometimes you have to make relief cuts in the roof just inboard of the A-pillars so that you can stretch the tops outward to meet the bottoms of the pillars, but at 3” that was not necessary here.

ClarkH, brEad, kadillackid and 6 others like this.
  3. Curt Six

Curt Six

QUARTER WINDOWS
    15a B-pillars chopped labled.jpg
    Quarter windows can make or break a chop, so you’ve got to get them right. Corner #1 was going to stay the same because I didn’t want to change the B-pillar angle, and corner #2 stayed the same because I wanted to maintain the smooth visual arc from the top of the side windows rearward through the quarter windows. With the quarter window frame clamped in place, you can see that corner #3 will need tweaking in order to get everything lined up.

16 shrinking and stretching quarter windows.jpg To bring everything in line, the upper radius of the window opening (the section between corners #2 and #3) had to be tightened up. That window frame is made up of two pieces of 18-gauge steel pinch-welded together. Cody’s got this killer ’40s-era shrinker and stretcher set that made quick work of the double-wall 18-gauge. If you don’t have access to equipment like this, you could probably achieve the same result by either cutting the inner and outer structure apart and shrinking them separately on a smaller home shrinker, or by making a series of very small relief/pie-cuts around the radius and welding them up.

17 B-pillars re-shaped.jpg This is after the first couple of passes through the shrinker. With the tighter upper radius it comes close to aligning with corner #3, but it’s not there yet. We needed to shrink a little more, which we realized would then require that we shorten the length of the window a little bit to get everything to line up.

17-2 B-pillars re-shaped with radius.jpg
    17-3 B-pillars reshaped with radius.jpeg Here we’ve done two things…first, the upper radius is tighter. Second, we cut out corner #3, removed a small horizontal section from the bottom of the window frame, and slid the corner forward. In these photos, it looks like there is a kink right at the top of the corner, but there isn’t…there are just a bunch of weld seams and grinder marks that make it look a little funky.

18 day 1 end unchopped door frame.jpg
    Two kooks and a half-chopped top. With the stock driver’s window frame, you can see how much we removed from the height of the car. It’s not a super heavy chop, but I like the proportions.

ClarkH, brEad, j hansen and 8 others like this.
  4. CTaulbert

CTaulbert
    from Detroit

#dreamteam

Looking good!

Stogy likes this.

5. Curt Six

Curt Six

THE LOWERED LID
    19 filing A-pillars.jpg

The cut edges of the pillars were cleaned up to make the seams as tight as possible.

20 roof going back on.jpg You can see how Cody likes to cut out corners with a radius rather than a right angle. This prevents the corners from getting sucked in from the heat when you’re welding things back together.

21 first look at new profile.jpg
    22 new profile rear three-quarter.jpg Here’s the roof clamped back in place. If you squint you can see things taking shape. We left the back window surround attached throughout the chop to maintain alignment.

23a welding A-pillars labled.jpg

With everything looking good, the A and B-pillars were welded up. This is where there centerlines on the pillars are helpful.

PATCHES AND PANELS
    24 chopping door frames.jpg Next we chopped the tops of the window frames off (again at the top cut line) and set them aside for later.

24ab roof in place with missing section marked up.jpg
    When the roof came down, it also slid forward, leaving a gap in the drip rail and the roof itself.

24b driprail patch pieces.jpeg
    The patches needed for the gap in the roof could be fabricated, but it’s a lot easier if you’ve got spare parts from the scrapyard. @FLAT-TOP BOB at Owens’ Salvage in Texas had a ’41 Buick fordor in his yard and was able to sell me 8” sections cut out of the roof on both sides, and corresponding sections from the tops of the window frames and garnish moldings. I didn’t take photos before we cut them apart, but here’s what was left after we cut the patches we needed.

dana barlow, Stogy, catdad49 and 3 others like this.
  6. Curt Six

Curt Six

25 driprail patches.jpg Here’s one of the patches clamped in place. The cool thing about using donor pieces is that you get the roof, drip rail and inner doorjamb section all in one piece.

26 sail panel pattern.jpg
    27 sail panel pattern profile.jpg Although we left the sail panels in place when we cut the roof off, they will need to be replaced to fit the new contours of the roof. Heavy construction paper makes a good, flexible template. The other thing you can see in the first photo above is that we’ve cut along the bodyline below the backlight, leaving only the center couple of inches intact. This allowed the window to lean forward and show us where the rear profile of the roof needed to be. In the second photo you can see that the crown of the roof was still a little high here, but that was adjusted before the sail panels were finished.

28 shaping sail panel Pullmax.jpg
    29 shaping sail panel Pullmax.jpg Sail panels are tricky because they’re one big compound curve, and everyone’s got their own way of doing them. Cody uses a combination of a Pullmax, an English wheel and a planishing hammer. Here he’s using the Pullmax with a shrinking die to form the basic contour in the 18-gauge steel.

30 shaping sail panel English wheel.jpg
    31 shaping sail panel English wheel.jpg Next, several passes through the English wheel help to further shape and smooth the panel.

32 sail panel clecos.jpg
    After a dozen trips back and forth between the English wheel and the car, the sail panel was ready. Clecos held it in place so that the shape could be transferred to the original sail panels as cut lines.

33 sail panel trimmed.jpg Then we cut a big ass hole in the roof.

33a sail panel.jpeg
    34 sail panel tacked and skirts on.jpg After tacking the sail panel in place, we looked at it from a bunch of different angles to make sure it was right before it was fully welded.

ClarkH, slim38, brEad and 9 others like this.
  7. Curt Six

Curt Six

35 patch panel above drip rail.jpg Next we cut a long, thin 18-gauge piece to bridge the gap from the drip rail to the rest of the roof. One trick I learned from Cody was to use 18-gauge for patches that will be metalworked because once you’re done beating and grinding on them, they thin themselves out to 19-gauge, matching the factory steel.

36 patch panel over rear window.jpg A similar patch was made to connect the window surround with the roof.

37 patch panels welded in.jpg Here it is all welded up. I wish I could take credit for any of the welding, but that’s all Cody. My welds keep abrasive wheel manufacturers in business.

40 chopping window frame front.jpg The angle of the A and B-pillars didn’t change, so replacing the window frames was a matter of splitting them in half and filling the gap in the horizontal section at the top.

41 chopping window frame patch.jpg This is where those spare window frame tops come into play. The fact that the donor car was a fordor didn’t matter because all we needed were a few inches of the straight section from the top.

42 window frame complete.jpg
    43 window chopped complete 2.jpg Here’s the window frame with the patch welded in place.

44 window frame hammer and dolly.jpg A little hammer and dolly work got everything in shape. We’ll still need to add steel to perfect the gaps around the doors and window frames, but that will come later.

ClarkH, brEad, dana barlow and 9 others like this.
  8. Curt Six

Curt Six

50 planishing hammer roof 1.jpg
    51 planishing hammer roof 2.jpg Cody begins smoothing out the highs and lows in the new metalwork with a pneumatic planishing hammer…

52 hammer and dolly roof 1.jpg …then follows up with hammers and dollies for fine tuning.

55 internal structure 1.jpg This just shows how the internal structural steel was chopped and reshaped to match the new quarter window. This stuff will be covered by the garnish moldings, so there’s no need to spend a bunch of time dialing in the corner radius like we did on the outside.

56 internal structure 2.jpg We had to cut out the package tray support in order to access the underside of the catwalk area for metalworking (hammer and dolly, etc.) A new patch panel with a bead rolled down the center provided the replacement structure.

58 filled antenna and windshield support.jpg The center windshield support looks pretty gnarly, but it was sound enough, and it will be covered up anyway. While we were welding that back together, we also filled the hole for the aerial.

70 complete 1.JPG
    71 complete 2.JPG
    72 complete 3.JPG Here are a few different angles of the finished chop. Of course everything will get a skim coat of filler and tons of sanding before it’s painted. We also haven’t chopped the garnish moldings, vent windows, or stainless trim yet. But hopefully this gives an overview of one way to chop one of these pre-war GM coupes.

tom in nh, Chief 64, Cosmo49 and 35 others like this.
  9. Beautiful, superb, details. Phenomenally done.

10. Sweet Tech!! I love that is not a crazy low window chop, feels right!

I combined your upper Before and After at the bottom for those who don't want to scroll!!!

Looks like Magic!

72 complete 3 Before after.jpg

Last edited: May 7, 2021
  11. getow

getow

I have a horrible eye for that, both present and future. Awesome talent. Congrats. I envy your capabilities. Hats off. And cool ass equipment to boot..

Stogy, fauj and chryslerfan55 like this.
  12. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Amazing how a talented person like Cody makes it look easy! But we know it isn't!

loudbang, Stogy and fauj like this.
  13. Great pics and explanations. The basic process can be applied to many chopped tops.

Sent from my SM-A102U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Stogy and chryslerfan55 like this.
  14. Why do I get the feeling that Cody’s boss (his wife) was looking at you two and wondering what mischief you were getting into.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

loudbang and Stogy like this.
  15. Very cool and great documentation!

16. The37Kid

The37Kid

Nice work, thanks for all the photos. Bob

17. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Fantastic tech! Chop looks just right! Love the lines of the car.
    Cody has some mad skills and shop equipment.

Stogy likes this.
  18. catdad49

catdad49

Great process, Thanks for showing All your Work ( Just like Math class)!

19. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great Tech showcasing the tools of the trade and a Wonderful trip in the Custom Shop...great play by play in imagery and explanation...great outcome by all involved...looks just like the Artist Rendered Factory Print Advertising...

Thanks for sharing @Curt Six...

dana barlow, loudbang and brady1929 like this.
  20. Amazing chop! That rear 3/4 view blows me away

Stogy and loudbang like this.
  21. Nailed it!

Stogy likes this.
  22. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Great Tech Week post -- And quite impressive work on the chop. Well done, guys!

23. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Awesome!

24. Curt Six

Curt Six

I think she was just sick of us begging her to run to town to pick up Po Boys for lunch every day.

Thanks for the kind words on the chop, fellas. I've made a good bit of progress since it was at Cody's, so I'll have to post some updates soon.

25. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

What a great chop and documentation! You said in the opening post it was at Cody's for a week. Any idea of the man-hours involved? I would guess that between your preliminary prep work and what's left to finish up, you could probably double that number. Then multiply that by 2 or 3 for regular humans.

26. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Great job, and great looking car!

27. Curt Six

Curt Six

@GearheadsQCE we had about 60 hours at Cody’s shop...I was there for five full days, then the following week he put another 15 or so hours in it on his own (he also nosed the hood while it was there). Your estimate of doubling that time before it’s done is probably accurate, once you figure chopping and bodyworking garnish moldings, chopping the stainless trim, vent windows, etc. then reinstalling everything (gaskets and glass, etc.)

Stogy and dana barlow like this.
  28. cretin

cretin

That chop looks fantastic. You guys nailed the proportions.

Stogy likes this.
  29. Marty4-0

Marty4-0

Thanks for showing so much detail regarding the process and fitting

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

Stogy likes this.
  30. Curt Six

Curt Six

Thanks a lot fellas. And I don't know about "dream team" @CTaulbert unless your dream team is one guy who's a kickass metalshaper and another guy who stares at stuff way too long trying to decide if it looks "right." o_O Thanks man.

Tman, kidcampbell71 and CTaulbert like this.