This little A Coupe has been in the family for getting on 10 years and I've got through nearly as many 4 bangers in that time, ranging from a succession of stockers to full race spec. The project was born from yet another Babbitt busted block and the timely offer of a French Flatty motor. The plan was to fit the Flatty V8 keeping as much A as possible, with all the changes looking factory. I had acquired ready for the build an ex French military engine, a '36 gearbox which turned out to have innards from a variety of years and a '39 pedal set. I was sticking with the stock unsplit wishbones, torque tube and rear axle which had been rebuilt the previous year. I wanted the car that could have been, the Ford that never was, the missing link. THE STRIPDOWN Two spanners and a screwdriver and a spare Saturday with a couple of mates, we soon had the body off the chassis. Finished just as it was getting dark and the rolling chassis was pictured the next morning. A picture of the French flatty that will be used in the build. ENGINE MOUNTS So where are we, after a quick mock up with the engine on a chain, I decided the surplus lip on the front cross member needed a trim to clear the new crank pulley. Easy peasy first job soon done. As I wanted to keep the stock axle and torque tube, the engine position was really already decided. The engine mount centre ended up 6 1/4 inches from the rad mount centre. This will probably cause problems fitting a mechanical fan, but the spin off should be minimal cutting of the bulkhead, and a little more clearance for the steering box, and more important to me I haven't got to mess with the length of the torque tube. I made the mounts from 3x2 1/8 wall box using the pattern in the Vern Tardel book. They will be plug welded into the chassis rails, the position is very close to the cross member, so I will run a bead of weld along the edge to strengthen them up nicely. That's done now on to the gearbox mounts. Warning the following section contains images of welding that might shock, frighten or cause emotional intensity. GEARBOX MOUNTS Once the engine mounts were tacked in, my thoughts turned to the other end the gearbox. I jacked the gearbox up to keep the engine level as poss and avoid any acute angles on the drive shaft, also keeping in mind the steering box clearance. This position highlighted that I would be needing some alterations to the crossmember but nothing too complicated. Happy with the position I started fabricating the mounts. I cut them out of plywood then transferred these patterns to 1/8 steel. As the original crossmember is unboxed and my new mounts are all hanging on one side, I thought a little boxing around that area would be a smart move, so I plugwelded a couple of square plates to the crossmember as a base to build the rest up on. Soon had the mounts tacked in, a quick strip down to check I could access all the nuts and bolts around the torque tube and that bit was done. Now to sort out the clearance between the torgue tube and crossmember. After taking a few measurements I pulled the engine and box again, cut out the crossmembers centre to clear and welded a strip around the edge to put a bit of strength back. When everything is tacked and checked I am going to drop the axles and flip the chassis over for the final welding.