Register now to get rid of these ads!

TECH-- Ten more homemade hot rod shop tools.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kiwi Kev, May 27, 2007.

1. 1---Bow tie press....

I made this ugly thing a long time ago so I could press Chevy bow ties into sheetmetal. At first it was just the C clamp but it got modified one day when I needed to go deeper on a panel. I just cut out a male and female bow tie shape and cleaned them up with a sander and file and mounted them so they line up when you wind the clamp down.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. 2---Home made brake.

I built this brake many years ago from scrap metal at a shop I was working at. I paid $45 to have a 45 degree angle machined on the top part. There are nuts welded under the 3 holes on each side at different locations so you can bend different thickness material. I also have a piece of round stock with a couple of tabs welded to it for bending radius'. If I need to use it like a leaf brake I just cut a piece of flat bar and clamp it in place. Been using it for close to 20 years now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. 3---Drill stand.

Take a piece of 1 1/2" square tubing, drill a bunch of 1/2" holes all the way through it, weld a piece of 2" flat bar to the bottom of it, paint it, mark on the drill sizes and you have a low buck drill stand.

[​IMG]

4. 4---Wheel caliper.

Every tire shop has a plastic one of these but I didn't have one so I traced the outline of one at the tire shop, made a few adjustments and cut my own from aluminum.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. monzadood

monzadood
    BANNED

i think i`ll make me a drill-bit stand at work monday. thanks for the good tech tips.

6. 5---Flat bar brake.

Made this to go in the hydraulic press, sure beats the big hammer and vise method.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. 6---Dull chisel

Get a wide chisel and sand the sharp end dull and you'll be surprise how often you use it, especially repairing floors, installing patch panels, lining up pillars when chopping tops, driprails etc.

[​IMG]

8. 7---Roll cage X bar clamp together helper thingy.

This notched piece of angle iron is used to line up and clamp the 2 pieces that intesect the first bar of the X when installing a roll cage. It can be clamped in place or you can use hose clamps until everything is tacked.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. 8---Old couch leather.

For spark protection on all kinds of fab' work. Old leather or suede jackets from the thrift store work well too.

[​IMG]

10. 9---Vice grip flanger.

Shape a couple of pieces of steel so they form a male and female step and weld them into some old vice grips and you have a hand flanger. Handy for patch panel installation. I have an air tool that does the same thing and bead roller but these have saved me a couple of times.

[​IMG]

11. publicenemy1925

publicenemy1925
    from OKC, OK

Cool tools once again. I feel special because I have the same chisel in my toolbox and I use more than anyone can imagine.

12. 10---Vise grip tube liner upper.

Weld a piece of angle iron to these funny looking vise grip clamps and you gave a pretty good tube joint clamper for butt welding small tube.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. noboD

noboD

Thanks for posting some neat tools.

14. Plus 2 more........

Bottle cap metal shaping hammer ( I know, you all have one already) and cheapass sanbag made from old couch leather and beach sand.

[​IMG]

15. Bobby Green

Bobby Green

You crafty bastard. ........ I'm coming over to your place with Lucky. I'll get to check out everything in person. sweeet.

16. Firefly

Firefly

Ha, ha - glad to see you are keeping up with tradition and wearing your 'Kiwi safety boots" in the garage (as per #4 photo)

17. Yep, that's how I spot the Kiwi's at the swap meets.

18. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

great tech, thanks

19. Smith79

Smith79

cut the center out of the angle and you could weld just about the whole way around the tube with out repositioning it

20. bobx

bobx
    from Indiana

I love these kind of posts.

thanks.

21. or as a couple of my northern minnasota pals like to call this one paul bunyons crack pipe

22. Ned_Gob

Ned_Gob

Those are great ideas , I have the oxy-cap hammer but not the sand bag , cool . Oh yeah , nice saftey shoes !!!!!!!!

23. knotheads

knotheads

i think ill make one of these ...just as soon as i finish that 20 ton press i started about 25 years ago ...lol

24. knotheads

knotheads

i made one of these years ago from a pair of "road kill" vise grips and it does work as good as the same thing from eastwood

25. swimeasy

swimeasy

GREAT thread!!!

26. MercMan1951

MercMan1951

Awesome ideas...I love home-built tools! You have some serious ingenuity going on here...

27. fiat128

fiat128
    from El Paso TX

Thanks for the post, your homemade tool tips have to be my favorite posts on the HAMB.

28. Flathead Youngin'

Flathead Youngin'

Hey, you beat me to it!:D

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=185205

Good stuff on here....I like how you solve problems with cheap items laying around the garage.

How did you sew the leather bag?

EDIT: your's are a little different...you cut the 90 degree bends and welded them to the top??

29. Upholstery shop sewed up the leather bag for me. I know these are not all original ideas so I like it when you guys post replies with improvements or other versions! I had a good one about a chain with a hook on one end that you use when drilling large holes horizontally, a method I've been using for 30 years. I worked in a shop where we would sometimes have to shorten the frames of large trucks using steel plates with lots of holes and there was no mag drill. It's a great method and I even drilled out a front axle on a car using it but I know if I post it on here there's a chance some of you guys will end up with broken wrists, dented foreheads etc.

30. happy hoppy

happy hoppy

thanks for this post, this is why I log onto the hamb.