Register now to get rid of these ads!

TECH....Ten homemade hot rod shop tools.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kiwi Kev, Mar 17, 2007.

1. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

you are a mad friggin genius!!! thanks for sharing.

2. jusjunk

jusjunk
    BANNED
    from Michigan

Ive got a similar toe gauge but mine goes all the way to the out side of the tires and i usually locate on the higesht (or widest if you will) point of the outside of the tire.. Works great..
    http://home.comcast.net/~n8dc-8/tool.html
    Thats the link to the pics of mine.
    Dave

3. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

HAMBer of the year!!!

4. Morrisman

Morrisman
    from England

Here's a simple bender made from stuff laying around the shop. Not exactly a tool, just an idea how to get neat bends of sheet metal with no flash gear. I used a small hammer to gently tap the lip over, then a block of wood to flatten it out.
    [​IMG]

I used it to make the lips on this sand blaster base funnel, so they sealed. It made it a nice neat straight and sand-proof join, after tacking with the Mig.

[​IMG]

5. fiat128

fiat128
    from El Paso TX

Very cool post. Thanks for the ideas now I have to find some railroad track not in use.

I made a similar sheetmetal brake but bigger out of 4X4 posts with angle iron attached to the edges in a routed out recess.

6. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

great tech. now if i only knew someone who works for a railroad:rolleyes:

7. Flatdog

Flatdog
    Member Emeritus

Great stuff,Thought I'd seen it all but some of these ideas are new to me.

8. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

you are the Master!!! bater.

9. CoalTownKid

CoalTownKid

this wouldn't work to reverse a spring eye would it??

10. CoalTownKid....Yes it would, that's the main reason I made it.

Evel....I have ten tips for that too but goes on a different website:D

11. KIRK!

KIRK!

All killer, no filler!!!

12. Great ideas. Looks like I have a few new projects now.

13. That is very similar to the one I used in the alignment shop. Very nice.

Atwater Mike likes this.
  14. hot rod wille

hot rod wille

Hey Kev---it's 10:30---get To Work!!!!

15. I haven't used the toe guage for a couple of years and I think it could be put to better use by someone who has a shop or builds more cars than me so I'm putting it up for sale in the classifieds, also the anvil as I have a bigger one.

16. 49 Fastback

49 Fastback
    from Ohio

VP of the National Railroad Association: "It's the strangest thing. Miles of track have vanished from the country. And then, my neighbor, who's this big hot rodder, keeps hammering late at night on his new anvil."
    Another VP: "My neighborhood rodder's hammering too!"

Nice tech.

Tucker

17. you aren't the coyote that has acme anvils .....removes railroad track to derail trains into the tunnel to get the roadrunner.... but instead the train heads where your standing at the other end......are ya?
    hold up sign thjat says "oops"

saw your car in the new Rolls and Pleats today...
    paperdog

18. You've got some good ideas there Kev.Always used railroad iron around the shop.Cool idea about making an anvil out of it.;)

19. meanirishmofo

meanirishmofo
    from Hi

That Anvil is my favorite, Good job.

20. Cadien

Cadien

Speaking of railroad track. Old railroad spikes can be ground and polished to make stamping or doming tools. Clean and polish the top and cut the poin off the spike and whack away.
    The strangest use of track was on my first car. A 51 Chevy truck. When I bought it, It had two sections of railroad track welded in as crossmembers in the rear to weight the ass down for more traction.

21. on my oxy torch at work i have a similar setup to the one kiwi kev uses but rather than clamp the centrepoint in mine is slotted for a bolt that is ground to fit in between the mixer tubes on the cutting head. i cant help think it would be a little top heavy with a clamp but hey looks like you've got a handle on it there...

sko_ford likes this.
  22. blue collar stu.........I had a circle cutter like that that I made when I was a teenager. It was a shaped piece of 1/8" thick material with a point on the end that had a small nut welded on the other end. Then a machine screw wth a washer and wing nut welded on the head went through the tubes to attach it. I liked it alot but I must have misplaced it one day and made the one I use now. That's a small vice grip on there, not full size.

23. TxRat

TxRat

great post guys. I'll be making one of these. soon

[​IMG]

24. Thanks for sharing these really good/cheap ideas. We should publish a small tech manual for sale, with all these tech tips. Proceeds to benefit the Hamb of course. I've got a few up my sleeve as well. Stole 'em, excuse me, borrowed them from the Porsche race team I used to work for. Hell, we used to align our $350k /200mph race car with fishing line and a simple metal metric scale.

25. Now this is funny.:p

26. When you're running that toe gauge, you can use cheepo white spray paint to make a paint line around the tire in the center of the tire. Then use the pointers to scribe in the white paint. Now when you move the gauge to the rear of the tires, you can be sure to be in exactly the same spot on the tire side-to-side, concentric to the wheel bearing. Tread blocks tend to be less than consistant, rims can be slightly bent, etc.
    The paint will generally wear off in a mile or 2.

Commercially purchased toe gauges have what amounts to a strip of tape measure riveted to the cross bar for taking measurements, except with a funky numbering system. No one looks at the numbers, cuz it's relative to where the pointer on the other side is. Chisel lines in 1" intervals make a sufficient marker, and you can measure the fractions with the 6" steel rule in your pocket.

27. I can see it now, trains will be de railing all over the country as hot rodders start pulling up sections of track for there home made tools.............:rolleyes: :D

28. Kustm52

Kustm52

29. You are the man.. i wish i had access to rail road track:)

30. ratt7

ratt7

Excellent Ideas, got me thinking now to.