Register now to get rid of these ads!

Tech Request: Auto Tranny rebuild

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hubnut, Oct 18, 2007.

1. Hoptup32

Hoptup32

I rebuild a TH350 a couple of years ago. There are alot of parts inside of a transmission, but they are grouped together in different groups, so go slow and assemble each group seperately and before you know it, you're done!

I highly recommend the book "Turbo Hydra-Matic 350 Handbook" by Ron Sessions. I also purchased one of the VHS videos, it was helpful to actually see someone disassemble and assemble the trans so you know what to expect.

I opted, as squirrel mentioned, to buy a cam bearing install tool(Leslie LS18000) on ebay to remove and install all of the new bushing. The local trans shop wanted $150 just to install the bushings, with me suppling the bushings!

I bought all of my parts from here:

http://www.bulkpart.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=2&Category_Code=General-Motors

They have the trans gel and just about everything else you might need.

2. What trans kits do you really want to stay away from? I saw B&M and TCI listed as no-no's, any others? Anyone have any dealings with Northern Autos kits? I believe they're Transtar and NAP performance. They do recommend the TransGo shift kits also.

Im looking to put together a pretty much stock tranny. Nothing thats gonna get beat on or run to death.

Johnny-B that link gave alot of insight. That guy seems to have it down. Thank you.

3. Bluesfella

Bluesfella

When I did my 700R4, I used the Transgo shift kit. I think it's pretty straight-forward and pretty well explained in the directions. I didn't have any problem with it.

One mistake I made was opting for a cheaper torque converter and not asking enough questions about stall speed. I ended up with a 2100 stall lockup converter, which is fine, but the stall speed is a tad high for normal street use. It's either that, or a result of buying a cheap converter, but if I had it to do over again, I would call an expert and get his opinion on stall speed/brand.

I used the ATSG manual that was mentioned earlier, and I bought a video from these guys (actually bought it on e-bay). I also rented the two specialized tools I needed from them. That, plus one other Haynes manual on tranny rebuilds was all I needed...

4. malibu283

malibu283

Call me I'll get you a kit from Daddy and help yout thru the rebuild