Register now to get rid of these ads!

Tech ???? rear ends for hot rods

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by slazzen, Feb 3, 2004.

1. hey what is a narrow model mopar rear that uses the early ford bolt pattern and has a good gear ratio for a hot rod ??? what kinda junk yard donor am i lookin for????

2. Early B-body mopar... '65 would be your first choice... I believe the '64 still had the keyed axles... I know '63's did. BTW, these are fairly narrow rears.
    Look in Polara, Belvedere and Savoy's... The darts later on had 8 3/4" rears... but had a small pattern that was smaller than Fords.

Sam.

3. And, don't forget, up til sometime in the early 70's, the drivers side lugs were reverse thread too.

Jay

4. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Imperial rears up to probably '64 had early Ford pattern. No idea of width, but a friend has an unaltered one from a circa '62 on his '51 Merc.

5. A bodies late 60s. Dart, valient, they were pretty narrow.

6. Rainer

Rainer

I have a 66 dart rear end in my plymouth - fits very nice - jep but 4" pattern - what you can do is changing to later axles with the right pattern - in the late 60ies some racer did this because you can't get 15inch rims

7. [ QUOTE ]
    Imperial rears up to probably '64 had early Ford pattern. No idea of width, but a friend has an unaltered one from a circa '62 on his '51 Merc.

[/ QUOTE ]

54-66 Imperial... and these from RRT

American Motors All 5 lug Jeep, All 2WD (Except 79-85 Eagle, Cherokee, Cherokee Chief) 1942-86
    Chrysler 8 cyl. & wagon 1946-55
    Chrysler Imperial (Special HD) 1954-66
    Ford All (Except with Wide 5 pattern) 1928-48
    Ford Full size pickup & Vans 1949-96
    International Scout, TravelAll
    Mercury All 1939-51
    Lincoln All 1952-60
    Suzuki Samurai 1986-89

8. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

Are we talking Dana 44's here? I'm not up on Mopar rears.

9. i am talking what options do we have we all know the next to imposable high priced bronco 9 I am trying to find a not so sought after alternative for my roadster p/u I am running a traditional SBC with a t350 tranny

10. Scouts are all over the U-Pull-ITs down here. Same width as a Bronco but with a bolt on plate on the back side like a GM 10 bolt rear. I was going get one until I came across an open banjo.

11. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

Does it have to be Mopar? I'd go with an early Bronco rear - very narrow, 9", 5x5.5 pattern

[​IMG]