Register now to get rid of these ads!

tech? radiator and water pump outlets different hose size?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by burndup, Feb 26, 2004.

1. burndup

burndup
    from Norco, CA

Whats everyones thoughts one solving this one, say you are using a radiator that has different diameter inlets/ outlets than does you water pump/ water neck.

First thing that comes to mind is using exhaust adapters... but they dont have that bead rolled into them to help keep your hose from popping off.. and they'll rust pretty quick.

Do they make adapters specially made for this purpose?

fab 'em outta brass or copper?

Thanks,
    J

2. I had to do this.
    It took over an hour searching through
    the formed hoses section at the parts store with a neck
    down and the proper curves.

TZ

3. Deyomatic

Deyomatic
    from CT

I don't think your hose would pop off. People use exhaust pipe for turbo applications all the time. Yes, they DO leak and blow off sometimes, but not very often.
    I agree about the rust.
    I wonder if Aluminized pipe is aluminized on the inside as well. Stainless might be an option, but I don't know how expensive that would be. --(Thinking out loud).

Anyway, the tip is...rough up the part of the pipe that the hose will go over with some sandpaper to give the clamped hose something to "bite" into. It'll be near impossible to ever get it off again.

4. They make a small rubber adapter for this problem. I have one hangin on the wall. I'll get a number off of it and a pic for you.
    Clark

5. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Make a rubber spacer from a used piece of hose that will fit onto the OD of the smallest diameter outlet. Be sure this spacer is the same OD as the large diameter outlet. You can then use the same size hose on both. I used this setup on one of those chrome convoluted radiator hoses that you see and worked great.

6. I always just use the hose made for necking down from big to little.
    I've never spent much time lookin' for formed hoses because its not an issue for me, but the formed hoses do look nicer.
    adapter hoses, the simplest solution.

7. Paul

Paul
    Editor

I have used the stepped end hoses before too,
    if you can't find one hose to make up the total length you can make one up with parts from a couple hoses
    splice using a straight piece of stainless tube.
    you can buy a tool for rolling a bead in the end of your tube.

Paul

8. Aside from the size adaptation problem - which would be easily cured by having a muffler shop expand a pice of pipe for you - one easy way out is to buy a pair of 90 degree molded radiator hoses.
    I did that one, cut them to length and combined it with a piece of 1 1/2" .120 wall tubing.
    Ran it for five years and finally took it in to the parts house so the gal there could find a one piece pre-made hose.
    The tubing was roughed up - not painted - as suggested above and a total of four worm drive hose clamps were used to tie the hose to the tubing.

What I would do is have a radiator shop change the hose bib sizes to what's required.
    It's a common rad shop operation.

The less expensive way out would be to use a flex-hose that has a different size on each end.
    These are very common and work well.

I've run flex hose as an upper hose in my 32 ever since it's been running.
    First hose went about 7 years and was replaced because it was swollen up and soft - not leaking though - and the new flex hose is doing fine.

9. burndup

burndup
    from Norco, CA

you guys are talking about putting hose over hose?

huh...

flex hose with different end sizes... heck, didn't know they made that...

It'll be fun to watch the guy at kragen get an aneurysm...

Thanks,
    J

10. [ QUOTE ]

It'll be fun to watch the guy at kragen get an aneurysm...

Thanks,
    J

[/ QUOTE ]
    I wish I lived closer to Burbank, also be fun to see you trying to describe it. [​IMG]

11. burndup

burndup
    from Norco, CA

"Yo, holmes, whas crackin, G? Aight, I gots dis FOOKED up 66, caddy, yeah thas right, the shit is da bommmmmmb, its like that much pimp. Aight, I needsa radiator hose that'll fit the messed up shit that the cracked out brutha at the junkyard sold me. See, the little bitch is a differnt size. I needsa hose that'll fit dis shit on one side, and dat shit on the utha. You smell what i'm steppin in, my brutha?"

It'll probably be about like that. He'll likely reply:

"Yo, that shit is whack, what year is it, and does it have AC?"

Thats about when he'll black out and start bleeding out the ear.

12. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

13. Hey Burndup, can you translate that in to Viet-Cong so I can use it at my O'Reily's? [​IMG]

14. NoSurf

NoSurf

We got the cubical gopher action here in my office...

From me laughing my ass off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

15. burndup

burndup
    from Norco, CA

[ QUOTE ]
    Hey Burndup, can you translate that in to Viet-Cong so I can use it at my O'Reily's?

[/ QUOTE ]

Damn, wheres Ngo Long Dong when you need him, man, I miss that dude, I think he cause my Imprelirist Dawg spleen to rupture last time he posted, I cracked up so badly!

16. Digger_Dave

Digger_Dave
    Member Emeritus

[ QUOTE ]
    They make a small rubber adapter for this problem. Clark

[/ QUOTE ]

Use them myself. The sizes come in different ID and OD combinations. (mine are 2" ID to fit the OD of the water outlet on the engine, and 2 1/2" OD to fit inside the 2 1/2" ID hose for the rad)

They slip in the end of the bigger hose and you only need one clamp. Most people will never notice the difference. Most rad shops have them. Or you can get them at NAPA.

17. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

"you can buy a tool for rolling a bead in the end of your tube"

Where?? I've been looking for quite a while. I know they exist, and I think there's one in some unknown aircraft catalog I can't find, but I haven't located a source. Bruce

18. [ QUOTE ]

Where?? I've been looking for quite a while. I know they exist, and I think there's one in some unknown aircraft catalog I can't find, but I haven't located a source. Bruce

[/ QUOTE ]

i couldn't find one either , so i made one myself

19. tool in use , if any body needs a tube rolled i'd be happy to do it

20. burndup

burndup
    from Norco, CA

21. Don't need a tube rolled, but I noticed the lathe, which means that there is probably a brigport in the vacinity, right?
    I got some old header flanges I need opened up a bit to go from 15/8 primaries to 13/4. Can you hook me up?

sorry thread thief in action. [​IMG] [​IMG]

22. yup , there's one right next to it.....you just want 1-5/8" round ports opened up to 1-3/4? i can do that

23. I'll send you a PM

24. Paul

Paul
    Editor

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

here's one,

[​IMG]

http://www.mittlerbros.com/Beadroller_acc.htm

Paul