Register now to get rid of these ads!

tech question- solid core plug wires and electronic distributors

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by praisethelowered, Mar 30, 2006.

1. praisethelowered

praisethelowered

I saw a flatty with one of those "magneto" looking electronic distributors made by Joe Hunt, and running cloth covered spark plug wires.

I want that set up! . . . good for the street but pushes the right aesthetic buttons for a period car.

But Taylor Vertex and all electronic distribor mfr.'s seem to say you can't use solid core plug wires.. . . and the cloth covered wires all seem to be copper core.

Has anybody been running this combo long enough to determine that is isn't a problem?

by the way i don't care at all about radio interference if that is all this is about.

2. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I've been running solid core wires on a Chrysler electronic ign system for 8 or 9 years. BUT it's only been a weekend show type of use. Not a great deal of mileage. I'd go by what the ign maker (warranty holder) says. I'm not sure but I believe you can get modern secondary wire with a woven cover for the look that you want.

3. flatoz

flatoz

A question I would like to know too. Psychobilly boi is doing the exact same thing that Tommy is, chrysler dizzy and solid wires, but is this just ok for this ignition?

anyone???

4. Brandy

Brandy
    from Texas

You can get modern wires that appear to be original.....................

http://www.magnetoparts.com/wire.htm

5. SimonSez

SimonSez

According to that site, they are all solid copper core wires.

Can you just get the cloth wrapping and put it over some 7 mm silicone carbon-core or spiral-wound resistance wire ??

6. Brandy

Brandy
    from Texas

I havent checked but let me see what I have on file. Like I'm a computer nerd.:D

7. Blair

Blair
    from xx

I've run solid-core wires on a big block chevy with an HEI with a MSD module and have had no problems and over 70K miles.

8. Does your rev protection work?

9. Bugman

Bugman

The theory is that the same EM interfearance that causes the feedback in your radio can screw up teh electronic ignition. I would think it would cause more problems with digital electronics than analog ones. Both the MSD 6AL and factory Mopar electronic ignitions are analog. Also, IIRC, the electronic stuff works better with the resistance of a carbon core wires VS almost zero resistance of the copper core wires.