Register now to get rid of these ads!

tech question-silicone brake fluid

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 6-71, Sep 9, 2007.

1. 6-71

6-71

This might be a stupid question, but is there any good way to tell wether a brake system has silicone fluid or dot 3 in it. this is actually my own vehicle,and I am pretty sure I used silicone in it,but not positive.I did a search,and dont need any rants about how silicone sucks.any way to tell?:)

2. We put silicone fluid in the Coronet we were working on and I noticed that it was purple. I don't know if all silicone fluid is purple, but I do know that all the dot 3 fluid is a brownish color. Hope that helps

3. Frosty2

Frosty2
    from Hambone,IN

Silicone is paint safe and dot 3 isn't.Put a couple of drops on a painted scrap piece.

4. Ford52PU

Ford52PU
    from PA

It starts out purple but goes clear after awhile.

5. oldchevyseller

oldchevyseller
    from mankato mn

to see if it is a glycol or silicone fluid, put some in a glass jar.

Add water a drop at a time. Glycol fluid will dissolve in water with milky looking results sort of you will notice

but silicone fluid will form two distinct layers, with water on the bottom. Silicone stays clean and clear in a brake system, but old glycol looks rusty after years of use.

The purple dye transfers from silicone to glycol fluid if you mix them together

you can pour some of your fluid in a styrofoam cup and it should eat it up if it is glycol,,most ofthe time it will , sometimes it is so used that itlooks good but wont eat the cup, best test its the water in a little jar, sort of the oil and water test, they will seperate really quick and have 2 layers, that will mean silicone:D

6. oldchevyseller

oldchevyseller
    from mankato mn

also if you do change to silicone, got to flush the hell out of it, or replace all the wheel cylinder rubbers, i always have they dont like to be in 2 diferent fluids during their lifetime,:rolleyes:

i guess you are running 4 wheel drums? if not just flush really good

7. Notorious

Notorious

There are a million variables in this matter and I'm way too wasted to get into them all right now. But for vehicles that may not see constant use, synthetics offer some important advantages. If ultimate performance is your requirement, I'd urge you to do your homework for your particular application and needs, short answer. Valvoline Synpower (?) is an excellent compromise and should be fine in most street and many all purpose vehicles. I could go on ad nauseum on this subject. But it's much more important for whomever to do their homework and become educated on this subject rather than listening to anyone's regurgitated opinions, including mine.