Register now to get rid of these ads!

tech: poor man's louvers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by NoSurf, Jul 6, 2010.

1. NoSurf

NoSurf

Awhile ago I decided I wanted some louvers in the visor on my coupe. Problem was it was welded in when I put it together a couple years ago.

Reading an old reprint of "The Ford Speed Secrets" I came across a little article that showed a way that they "punched" louvers back in the really early days.

[​IMG]

I decided to give it a try. I would make a couple dies out of a local tree, Osage Orange or Hedge-apple, a very hard wood.

First I had to get on the drawing board and decide what size louvers I wanted. I chose a 4" long by 1/2" wide by 1/2" tall louver with radiused ends. Here's my draftsman working on the redlines:

[​IMG]

I took a piece of hedge and cut it up on the tablesaw to get the raw blocks:

[​IMG]

Then I used some wood chisels and files to shape the positive and negative dies:

[​IMG]

The Hedge is a very hard wood, 2760 lbf. In comparison, Red Oak is 1290 lbf and White Oak is 1360 lbf. (from http://www.wood-database.com/wood-identification/).

I used some 10 penny finish nails for guide pins. The louvers would be made by drilling two relief holes, then cutting between them with a cut-off wheel in my angle grinder. Then pressing the metal to shape. This alleviates the need to have the dies actually cut/shear the metal and makes the wood dies last longer.

guide holes:

[​IMG]

sliced:

[​IMG]

Next I placed the dies on the visor, with the guides lined up:

[​IMG]

Then placed the C-clamps on to press the metal:

[​IMG]

The layout did interfere with the edge bead somewhat, but it came out good:

[​IMG]

The next one:

[​IMG]

You can see where between the metal didn't quite get formed perfectly. I will adjust it later with a hammer and dolly. You can also see where the paint is chipping. That will get cleaned up as well.

[​IMG]

21 louvers:

[​IMG]

I still have some cleaning up to do, and spray some primer, but I am very happy with the results.

In hindsight, I should have used a larger piece of wood for my dies, so I could make them where they are being compressed perpendicular to the grain, rather than parallel like I did. They did hold up ok, at the end I had to add some more clamps to hold the dies together. I made them a little shallow because I didnt want to take out the windshield. I could have added another 1/2" of material to the back side of each die and been ok.

I think the positive pressure that builds up under the visor at speed will be relieved somewhat now, which is what my goal was.

2. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

great tech, and seriously kicking it old school...

3. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

exceptional!

4. belair

belair

Also know as Osage orange, bois d'arch (bo-dark), or as we called them when I was a kid, horse apple trees. Makes good bows. A great post. The louvers look great, I like them a lot better than holes. Low-tech rules!

5. willymakeit

willymakeit

A great post. Hedge is a pain to work . I found a old ,small louver press in trash that I'm cleaning up. Nice work.

6. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

did you wear your wooden vans slip-ons? dude. that's crazy. nice work.

7. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

Stuff like this impress's the heck out of me. And he didn't even have to write a check.

8. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

That's awesome!!! I was going to cut up some high school lockers but shit this looks like a great option. Anything to keep me from giving my money to ZMAN for louvers hahaha!!!

9. Babyearl

Babyearl

Now this is what it's all about,,Super nice work.

10. xderelict

xderelict
    Member Emeritus

Well played.Very cool tech.

11. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

You're a funny man, but that's why boobie got the hood and not you. :p

12. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Really? I thought it was because Boobie gives a shit about Internationals. I'm going to cut those louvers out of that hood one night when he's not there and splice them into my hood sides. I know I know, nobody cares about my hood sides.

Don't worry ZMAN you're definitely getting my hood when I am ready.....and deck lid.

13. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Man, that looks good. Definitely one of those things you just do without telling anyone. Because jerks like me I would just tell you it would never work.

Your draftsman has mad skills too.

14. cruzr

cruzr

now thats Hot Rodding !~!

15. Nice grass roots louvers! They look great!

16. M.Edell

M.Edell

17. Slick man, a pal makes bows out of Osage, I could sure use a large stick! ;)

18. gasheat

gasheat
    from Dallas

Best tech in a while. I like it.

19. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is really, really cool! Thank you for sharing!

BTW... I'm really jealous you have a drafting machine! I've always wanted a drafting machine!! :cool:

20. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The talent on this board never ceases to amaze me , as well as remind me of my lack of same.......................

21. How big a piece do you want? I have a 7-8ft log (6-7" Dia) that has air dried that I was going to use for a bow, but I'll never get around to it! I can cut off whatever you need and mail it in a box (FEDEX) if you really want one. You or anyone else just pay for the postage.
    Anyone else wanta try it, let me know.

22. chevydeucewagon

chevydeucewagon

Great post/tech! Good looking work!

23. That is a slick way to get louvers. My old coupe had some that looked just like yours and they do seem to relieve the pressure at speed.

24. Good show old bean!

25. yblock292

yblock292

26. DMFB

DMFB

That is real craftsmanship right there! Awesome job!

27. 2muchstuff

2muchstuff
    from Eastern KS

That turned out really good. I'd have been right there with Kevin - telling you hedge is only good for fence posts and firewood! Now the coupe is ready for the high speed trip to Bonneville.

28. Man, wonder what shipping from WV would be?!