Register now to get rid of these ads!

Tech: Planning a top chop- how much?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Halfdozen, Mar 8, 2008.

1. Halfdozen

Halfdozen
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This worked for me, thought I'd pass it along: Chop it on paper first.

With a ruler, magic marker and a sheet of bristol board, I made some checkerboard strips 1" wide with alternating black and white one inch squares. A few little wads of duct tape fastened them to the pillars and the roof skin above the drip rail. Taped more bristol board inside the windows then photographed the car. Blew the pics up to 11 x 17, then cut up and taped the pics until I had the proportions I wanted. The checkered strips provide a scale accurate to the photo, allowing you to see exactly how much was taken out/ added where to achieve the desired chop.
    The pics are of sketchy quality, they're scans of old prints. Hopefully they convey the idea.

Edit: Tried to attach pics, too large. If interested please see
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=248773
    How do I delete this "thread"??

2. atomickustom

atomickustom

I'll go you one further: put masking tape or cardboard on all of your windows at the level you plan to chop to and see if you can actually drive the car! Some people are shocked at how much difference "a few inches" makes in drivability! It's also not a bad idea to check for headroom while you're at it. I used a $10 seat from a junkyard to figure out how far down to go with my top and have never regretted it.