Register now to get rid of these ads!

TECH: overspray's painting tips for my buddy "EYEBALL"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by overspray, Nov 29, 2007.

1. GizmoJoe

GizmoJoe

For those having trouble viewing... I had better luck with Firefox than I did with Internet Explorer to see the videos.
    Nice work on this, overspray.

2. Anderson

Anderson

This is an amazing post! Most informative tech posts ever. I would really love for these to be put in DVD form or something. Thanks you very much overspray!!!

3. Motoboy

Motoboy

Great videos! I need to watch those a few times and let all that soak in!
    Thanks!

One question, being from North country, how cold can it be and still be able to get good results?

4. XLNT!!!!!!!! But, WTF's all the chirping in the background?

5. garvinzoom

garvinzoom

Great tech and your antics kept me interested. Thanks for taking your time to share those with everybody!

6. eric

eric

Wow!! thank you Overspray!! wish you had posted this a few days earlier! so much information i could have used when i flaked the roof of my brothers wifes car this past weekend!! thanks again, very detailed!!

7. lewislynn

lewislynn

Absolutely outstanding!!!

8. srosa707

srosa707
    from Sacramento

AWESOME! My wife overheard me watching the vids and suggested you put out a video or maybe even a series of videos. Excellent TECH post.

9. My vote for the best tech for sure.

10. SlmLrd

SlmLrd
    from DAGO

eggcellent!

Sounds like those crickets are the ones kicking up the dust in your shop! Thanks for the AMAZING tech article, great work.

11. etxhfeg

etxhfeg
    from Sweden

Elvis IS alive!!! And he sings like never before... :eek:

Anyway, excellent tech tip! Really pedagogical and easy to follow. Thanks a million! Can't wait to watch these videos again and then lay down some paint on my own car.

12. overspray

overspray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Had some interest in "The King's" favorite little gravity spray gun (1.0mm tip).

I don't have a current source, so here's a picture of the gun and box. It just says made in china. I can't remember the Iwata model it's copied from. If anyone has an autobody supply or tool supply that has these pleas post the info. I get more use out of these little guns. They are between a small "touch-up" gun and a larger production gun. They are very efficient and by working well at low pressure produce less overspray.

The one on the left is my new (about 7 years old gun) and the one on the right is about 16 years old. Both are basically the same but different aircaps and cups.

The other picture is the #10 aircap on my old Sharpe model 775. It really breaks up paint spray into mice small droplets and diffuses metallics great. I use it for basecoats, clearcoats, and single stage paints. (There is a Devilbiss no drip cup on the Sharpe gun)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. overspray

overspray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

"PEDAGOGICAL"

Yup, I had to look that up! I consider myself to have a good vocabulary, but that's a new addition---and a wonderful compliment. Thank you all for the compliments. My intent was to help out fellow hotrodders and enthusiasts improve their own personal skills by sharing some of my experience. So far I have achieved that goal. I will be the first to admit that I AM NOT the best painter, but I have been fortunate to have picked up some good knowledge from some really fine craftsman, which I have added to my own experiences.

I am always in awe of the talent that hangs out on this wonderful place.

Thanks again--Ryan.

overspray

14. kornbinder

kornbinder
    from Sonora, CA

WOW!!! What a tech, thanks. When you get around to putting this on DVD, put me down for a copy.

15. That was great! Thank you. I didn't know it got up to 90* in North Dakota in November!

16. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

I can't figure out which I liked more, the elvis costume or your overture at the end. Amazing, you've got my vote buddy.

17. Brad S.

Brad S.

It tells me "Oops no video!" when I click on it.

Dammit. Did you move it?

18. Overspray
    Thanks for taking the time to put together these videos! For being so short there is an immense amount of content. You obviously are a thinker and pay attention to what's going on. Your ability to share your knowledge is exemplary.I learned a great deal from your videos even though I have some experience already. As a plus you seem to be a real character!

Thank You!!!
    Alden

19. Brad B

Brad B
    from Nor Cal

Overspray, thank you for this post. it could not come at a better time. I'm about to start painting my 41 chevy. I want to do a gloss black ( two stage) and the roof in heavy flake.

Again, thank you for shedding some light.

Brad

20. NTAPHSE

NTAPHSE

I like how you snuck in the middle finger at the end of the first video!

Thanks for the great info.

21. NTAPHSE

NTAPHSE

Overspray, can you explain "wet out" please?

22. Mr 42

Mr 42
    from Sweden

Super Tech many thanks.
    A small question thought, how do you keep your guns so clean??
    Mine looks like they been in the war :)

23. overspray

overspray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

"Wet out" means how the droplets flow together as the spray pattern hits the panel or surface you are painting. When I watch the "WET OUt", I'm looking to see how much fluid/paint I'm getting on the surface and how wet it looks as it flows smoothe. If it keeps on flowing and wetting, it will puddle and "run". If it doesn't flow out smoothe enough you will see the texture/roughness (commonly called "orange-peel"). It takes practise with spraying technique, correct gun settings, proper distance from the spray tip to the surface, the speed of the spray gun as it moves across the surface, correct air pressure, correct viscosity (the reduction of the paint with thinner/reducer), and the evaporation quality of the thinner/reducer (fast to slow evaporating) compared to the spray (air) temperature, and the amount of air flow passing over the paint that will evaporate the solvents (thinner/reducer).

That is a lot of variables to keep track of, but it all boils down to practise and experience.

As a beginner-start by spraying something small and easier to control these variables. Inside doors, small parts, inside trunks and hoods, dashes, are good places to start practising and developing that "3RD EYE" to help watch the "WET OUT". Then move on to bigger areas and panels.

Plan the job for all the above conditions-temperature and air flow usually determine how you adjust the rest.

overspray

24. overspray

overspray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have the "been to War guns" also. I got in the habit of cleaning my guns more thoroughly after the catalyzed (hardner) paints replaced lacquer and enamel. (Yes I'm OLD.) If you don't clean up after spraying 2 part paint-- the spray gun becomes a wall hanging. I use a small paint brush (with natural bristles) to clean the outside very well with lacquer thinner. I flush out the gun by spraying clean thinner thru it at least 3 times. I remove the aircap and brush and flush with clean thinner, then blow everything with compressed air to make sure all the little holes are open. Then I put a little thinner in the cup and give it a final test spray to make sure the pattern and settings still work. I usually leave a small amount of thinner in the gun and store in a cabinet.

Every so often I will partially disassemble the gun and clean the fluid rod, check the gaskets , and inspect the fluid tip and clean it. Occationally I will soak the head of the gun in thinner. Most newer spray guns have neoprene gaskets and packings that will not be affected by thinner. Some have packings that will be ruined by soaking in thinner. My old Binks Model 7 has a carbon packing around the fluid rod that swells if you soak it with the rod removed. Then you buy a packing overhaul kit and do a gun rebuild.

overspray

25. budd

budd

thanks overspray, i'm going to give painting a body a try this spring, i do paint the metal work i do but it's so small i dont even fan my gun, i have just cheap hvlp's, $100 for 2 large guns and one small one, now i'm just thinning my paint about 10%, all in all it works for what i'm doing, you should write a book, oversprays auto painting guide,

26. CaddyRat

CaddyRat

I only got the first video to work. Are these videos posted anywhere else or can I get a copy of them? Sounds like they're pretty awesome. after the first one I got "Oops sorry no video"

27. overspray

overspray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If the Firefox thing don't work or some of you who can't get the videos, PM me and I'll try email the link. Clean out the old files in your computer and see if that helps, too.

Anybody with more computer savvy know what else to do?

overspray

28. -Brent-

-Brent-

Thanks Overspray, that was a lot of fun. I learned a bunch too.

29. f1 fred

f1 fred
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from mn

Thank you

tech week winner right here if it were up to me

you did an excellent job of explaining and you kept it interesting

You should burn this to dvd and sell it, if you dont want to make money on it donate it to the hamb!

p.s. you should be teaching at a high school or tech school, great job!

show us some more PLEASE!

30. Darby

Darby

great--thank you. couple things there i'd never thought of before (including costume changes...)