Register now to get rid of these ads!

tech ?- online trouble shooting fun!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by praisethelowered, Sep 6, 2005.

1. praisethelowered

praisethelowered

Man, my ranchero is running great

oh yeah. . . except that about a week ago it started to do this thing where the motor cuts out after i have been driving ten minutes or so . . then i pull over and it fires back up. . . . then it goes fine the rest of the day. wierd.

The motor is a 200-6 , with a mallory unilite, MSD 6A, carter electric fuel pump. . .

It's tough because there is no way to catch it in the act. . . by the time I pull over everything is fine and it starts back up like nothing happened

I guessed it was low fuel pressure so I swapped the pump with a spare I had on the shelf and that didn't help. Now I am wondering what electrical component would just stop working intermittantly like that. . . and then work fine. Do coils die like that or are they all or nothing?

Any suggestions of what to check next?

2. gregga

gregga

I had a '64 Nova wagon that would do the same thing. 75 mph and the engine quit. I looked at everything under the hood for a problem. It finally came down to the ignition switch in the dash. The weight of the extra keys would wiggle the worn switch enough to shut it off. When I turned it to restart it, it was fine. I found it accidentally when I hit it during a shut-down and the engine killed before I turned it. Worth a look.

3. DrJ

DrJ

Is that the Ford "black box" ignition?
    or similar?
    If so, the black box becomes heat sensitive and only craps out when it gets hot, and takes about as long as it takes to coast to the curb and open the hood to cool off enough to fire up again and repeat.
    If it backfires a bit when it quits there's a good chance thats it.
    Only way to check it is replace it with a known good box and if it doesn't quit anymore that was it.

AMC used them for a while and whenI worked for them, I kept a spare "good" box in my desk just to test the cars with.

4. squirrel

squirrel

no, the MSD unit replaces the ford black box.

Try disconnecting the MSD, to see if it's the Unilite or the MSD cutting out.

As for the key thing...try wiggling the key when it cuts out, but be prepared for a loud BOOM if that's the problem!