Register now to get rid of these ads!

tech? no. tach. i call it "look what i did", a bit of tachometer work.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ray, Feb 13, 2008.

1. ray

ray
    from colorado

slowly i've been working on the interior of my 51 chevy, the eventual plan is for a dead perfect 60's style, part of the look i'm after is SW greenline gauges. i've been collecting them over the years, finding a few good scores along the way, like a NOS speedo on ebay that the seller left all the dirt on so it looked rusty, and a new set of 3 gauges never removed from the box, removing vintage speed parts from their original package for the first time ranks right up there with sex.

anyway, the tachometer has been the difficult one for me. i wanted to run a SW pedestal mount greenline tach on the console, problem is, these tachs are popular with the muscle car crowd, so there is plenty of demand for them, decent ones have been fetching $250 or more. there was just a 10k greenline on ebay that went for something like 6 bills. it sucks playing with the big boys!

so a few years back, i picked up this panel mount tach because it was cheap, note the munched bezel. it had been disassembled by some caveman i guess.

[​IMG]

then at the swap meet last weekend, i found this no-name pedestal tach, i didn't even talk the guy down from the $10 he was asking.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

now i got the makings of something!

i disassemble both tachs and do some trial fitting, the SW tach fits in the housing with a few minor mods, so i whip up this locating ring on the lathe:

[​IMG]

fit ti the tach:

[​IMG]

all together and sitting on it's new home:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

just wait till you see the gauge panel for the dash i'm working on. ;)

sko_ford likes this.
  2. the pedestal tach looks sweet ive looking for one like it myself , the consol also looks bitchin cant wait to see the panel for the dash ..

3. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

hey, dam nice..sweet idea.

4. ALindustrial

ALindustrial

nice! i love the looks of it.. everything still work properly?

5. ray

ray
    from colorado

i have no idea, the tach is untested!:D i just never got around to it, if it doesn't work i can just swap the face out to another movement easy enough, even some new pep boys cheapie would work.

thanks guys.

...the console is a couple of pieces of 63 buick riviera, and a whole lotta billet. billet rules!:D

6. Lil' Billy

Lil' Billy
    from Georgia

I read this thread earlier and forgot to post, but that is a really smart idea! I think I may "borrow" it.

7. Fast67VelleN2O

Fast67VelleN2O

Is that a Starfire console?

8. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

Great idea and Cool Green Line SW tach, that's the same one used in the Yanko'ss,Capo'ss:D.

9. ray

ray
    from colorado

sorta 63 riviera, the riv donated the rearmost waterfall section and the shifter bezel. the rest is billet aluminum i made to match the riviera pieces.

10. Hanksville Hot Rods

Hanksville Hot Rods
    Alliance Vendor
    from Denver-ish

11. Mercmad

Mercmad
    BANNED
    from Brisvegas

looks good,but remember what those console mounted tachs were like to use? driving looking at the floor ain't a good idea :)

12. Looks good. I have a plan for a small on the column tach inside a chrome bullet I found, I don't know that it will be "correct" period wise but I don't really give a sh!t.

s.

13. ray

ray
    from colorado

i know...most cars i have it'd be up in or on the dash, but this car (51 chevy) and the style i'm building it, just don't work for me. i want a "factory influenced" look, as if a guy in the 60's took all the interior out of a new 64 car and installed it in his custom, as was done at the time, with the exception that most of these parts are custom made. the tach in this car is admittedly more for form than function.

thanks guys for the compliments.