Register now to get rid of these ads!

TECH: Make a 4 door into a 2 door

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Squablow, Nov 6, 2005.

1. Bugman

Bugman

Ahh, memories...:D

2. atch

atch

you are gonna post pix when it's done, aren't ya?

3. Spitfire1776

Spitfire1776
    from York, PA

I must admit I initially cringed at the thought of cutting that Fury to pieces, but I like the way you did it. Rock on.

4. farna

farna

Here's a link to another good 4 to 2 door conversion:
    http://www.rgkustoms.com/rambler/
    and www.driveonline.com/html/best.html (same car, in DRIVE! magazine).

The guy kept the low-tech 195.6 six banger in the thing, but it dressed up nice with a bit of chrome!

I like the idea of a three door wagon... one on driver's side, two on passenger would be neat, and sure would get a few double takes as people looked! I bet quite a few would look aat one side of the car then go back for a second look once they saw the opposite side. AMC made one or two concept cars with two doors on one side an one on the other in the 60s. Of course they were destroyed, like most concepts, after the factory was through with them.

5. attitudor

attitudor
    from Finland

6. Squablow

Squablow

The four door Kingsway into a two door hardtop is fantastic, I read all about it on ForwardLook.net a while ago. That guy does incredible work. I don't know if I would have taken on that challenging of a project, that one's a little too advanced for me.

The way mine was done should be simple enough for anyone with decent welding skills and the right parts to pull off.

Of course I will post pictures of the car when it's done, and updates as I move forward with the car.

As for the Rambler wagon, it's a neat car, but the guy just welded the back doors shut and blanked out the windows to make a faux sedan delivery. I would have liked to see that one get a longer set of front doors first, I think it looks a little out of proportion with the four door front doors. Still nice work and an interesting project.

7. Squablow

Squablow

I wasn't worried, but a lot of other people were. The car looked like it was a really clean solid car. But in reality, it is pretty rusty, with shitty rockers and needing some floorpan work, and a complete repaint. If I'm gonna do all that work and repaint it, I'm gonna have a coupe when I'm done.

8. buds56

buds56

got out to my garage and took some more pics of my 55

Attached Files:

9. buds56

buds56

more

Attached Files:

10. Leaving it a three door (at least for a little while) would be sooo killer. What a thought.

11. metalshapes

metalshapes

Really cool tech...

Specially since you used Factory parts to end up with the car you wanted.

The same could be done to build Phantom.
    I think it should be possible to build a '64 2dr Hardtop Galaxie Wagon out of mostly factory parts...

12. I'm sure you thought about making it without the post. Now that it's done, You have more insight. What would be the major hangup to do that? Great work. I like.......

13. Crease

Crease

WOW! Nicely done.

14. TIKIFREAK13

TIKIFREAK13
    from Duluth MN

wow cant beleave i missed this thread but i know for a fact that a 55 4 door post can turn intoo a 55 2 door post same way did it to mine in 91 sold car in 99 did same way cut all four door stuff off & hung 2 door post door then rear window tops bottoms on parts car were rusty so used 4 door doors for patch paniels now i was building a drag car so did not use any of the inside window or metal just mounted lexon windows to window frames i will try to find pics of car before & after when sold it was a 2 lane clone ....

15. Squablow

Squablow

I'd be very interested in seeing your in-progress pics of that buildup, any info I can get for doing my '57 would be great, apparently there were a few people who did this before to the 55-57 Chevy.

16. chopped

chopped

Good thing about your long winters is the time you all have to dream up this stuff. I'm now giving serious thought to trying this on a tri-5. Any other links or sites on this. Hell of an idea you guys have!

17. ROADKILLER

ROADKILLER
    from IL

That can be done on 53/54 chevys cant it?

Killer.

18. Squablow

Squablow

Certainly. Would be a bit more work to do to a 53/54 Chev than it was for the '60 Plymouth, but it can be done. The difference is in the C-pillar, it's different on the four door than the two door, so there's where the mods come in.

In fact, I have a '53 four door Chev in my parking lot right now, and if the right two door sedan parts car came along, I'd put it together. Since I know what I'm doing a little more now, I dont' think it would take more than 4 or 5 days working to turn a four door into a two door complete.

19. Wow! Somehow I missed this thread. Nice work.

20. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

This is killer! How cool!

21. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

nice job man. way to use the ole noodle. you prolly just trippled it's value.

22. Man, you sure make this shit look easy. Good work so far. Hmmmm, what about a '54 Nomad wagon? Hmmm:rolleyes:

23. Nice job on both the car and the tech post!

24. "HOTROD"

"HOTROD"
    from Seattle

yes,

Dan

25. George G

George G

Holy shit. Now I've seen it all! Great Work!

26. Yeah I fuckin hate when people do that.. but ya know I only hate it because most people suck at it. Oh god and those retards and only weld the back 2 doors shut? Jesus that pisses me off. You did an awesome job. Not bad at all.

27. I am surprised to learn that the B-pillar isn't integral to structuaral integrity. I'm also surprised that the dimensions between the A-pillar and the C-pillar are identical allowing the entire quarter window section to be fit into place.

Therefore the roofs are the same for all 60 Plymouth except for hardtop and wagon.

28. Squablow

Squablow

Yeah, I was super surprised by the fact that the center pillar was just basically spot welded into place. I was planning on having to cut the rockers all apart to weld in extra supports and maybe doing the same on the roof. I don't expect all 4 doors to be set up that way, but it sure made this one easy.

My '57 Chevy was the victim of a back-door sealing, but luckily they didn't have a welder, so they just mudded it shut. That'll make it easier to undo later.

I'm sure some other models will be more difficult, but I'm tellin' you guys, this is not that hard. I'd much rather do this than replace a full trunkpan and rear quarters to save a two door. This is easier, plus more braggin' rights.

And thanks to all that replied this past week. I love getting responses, makes it all worth the work.

29. Nice Job . Could You Post A Close Up Of The Outside Rear View Mirrors? These Look Very Similar To The Ones On A Facel Vega
    I'm Restoreing And Ive Been Trying To Identify These Mirrors For Some Time Now. Unfortunately Many Of These Mirrors Were Not Factory Installed But Dealer Installed .

Thanks
    Larry

30. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

I'm sick with envy!!!!! :p :D

This is a bad ass job man, thanks for taking the pics and sharing them with us all!!! Please keep us updated!!

Here's scans from a Tex Smith book I have, where they convert a 4dr Buick to a 2 dr convert....your job looks way better in my humble opinion. Apologies in advance to dialup users :eek: [​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]