Register now to get rid of these ads!

TECH: Installing 54 Mercury taillight lenses into your kustom

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ether, Nov 10, 2008.

1. Here are the pics of the diffuser I made to install inside the 54 Merc taillight. It is 1/8 inch prismic red plastic. It gives the lense a bit more contrast, spreads the light more evenly and hides the light bulbs.
    ETHER

Attached Files:

2. dickster27

dickster27
    from Texas

If you find that the double lenses are a bit dark when the light is on you might take a sheet of aluminum foil and wad it up and gingerly onpen it up before gluing it to the reflector. You will be amazed at the amount of additional difussed light it produces.

3. HOT ROD DAVE

HOT ROD DAVE

that gives me some ideas for my 52 ford

thanks for the post

4. Good tip Dickster27,
    I plan on polishing up the stainless plate the bulb sockets are in and either painting the top and bottom white or silver. Aluminum tape works well here too.
    You can never have too much light when it comes to the taillights in a rod or custom. Last thing you want is a chick in a Honda in your trunk!!!
    ETHER

5. Dave, if you put these in the Ford keep us posted.

6. bennettamx

bennettamx

One hell of a tech thread. Step by step pics are amazing. Thanks for taking the time. This one gets my VOTE!!!!!!!

7. Thanks for the comments. Hope the tech helps someone down the line. This application can be adapted to many other lenses.

If the thread gets it, Im donating half the dough back to the cause!!
    ETHER

8. slick39

slick39
    from dallas ,ga

Great job jus what I needed to see