Register now to get rid of these ads!

TECH: How to make a 4 door cool! OR...Shoebox Ford 2 Door Conversion!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ClutchDumpinDan, Nov 19, 2011.

1. Passenger side goes the same way.

Cut giant hole.

[​IMG]

Install enough cleco's to make Frankenstein blush

[​IMG]

Set nice tight gaps

[​IMG]

Pass. side quarter is ready to start welding in. Hey! It looks like a 2 door all of a sudden!

[​IMG]

Every day is one day closer to the fun part...

[​IMG]

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. Oh, and in case nobody noticed...I screwed around with the camera settings and FINALLY got rid of that damn yellow fluorescent light tint!

3. Looks great. You going to do a chop?

4. Yup, 4" in the front and 5" in the rear. At least that's the plan, might take a little more depending on how it looks.

5. Looks awesome, can't wait to see you chop it!

6. drew56cus

drew56cus

Here is one way to store all those cleco's...
    hellraiser.png
    Enjoying your work. Makes we want to get started on my '56.
    I need to go from this:
    100_9272.jpg
    To this!
    dhcusso.jpg

7. Very nice work. Finally a 4 door that I can appreciate. Can't wait to see the chop.

8. TheLogLady

TheLogLady

Great stuff !..watching very very closley..cant wait to do this one day once my balls have grown bigger :)

9. Do you have a build thread???? I really wanted to convert my '56 into a four door and make it a wild custom.

10. drew56cus

drew56cus

Me too MDM! But I have about a years worth of finishing other projects before I get to it - so no build thread. So in the mean time I am lurking around here to pick the brains of the guys that know what they are doing, like Dan!
    I have seen some threads where they weld the back doors to the rear quarters but most cars I have seen personally where that has been done end up with a line showing through a few years later. That is why I like Dan's method.
    Cheers, Drew

11. Gawd........this guy can build!

12. Car is looking good Dan. Oh by the way your throw out bearing works like a champ. I have put around 1500 miles on it since installing the t-5.

13. I was originally planning on getting some two-door doors and cutting the rears in half and welding them up. I kind of like Dan's idea though. I am just still not sure if I want a hardtop or slanted pillers. I have pretty much everything thought out i.e. bumpers, lights, grill, paint, interior, etc. Just can't think of what I will do with the pillers and how crazy the chop will be. I have a Customline and am not quit fond of the Customline top I like the Fairlane one more. Wonder what would happen if I took Dan's approach and put on a Fairlane top. I'm like you though I got a lot of other shit to do before I start that. In the meantime I will just enjoy build threads like Dan's.

14. Awsome! Nice to see good, young talent on the RIGHT coast and a VA HAMBer.

15. scottb356

scottb356

Well now I know why you've been MIA. And this is a good excuse :)

For those who haven't met Dan, the amazing thing is he is only 13 y.o. This kids got a future if he ever gets a drivers liscence. LOL.

The real question is.............. when will it be ready for paint ?????? (poke, poke)

Oh and BTW, you're making it harder for me to not get started on the pickup dammit.

16. Wow, Dan, you are something else! I'm blown away as well and looking forward to the next installment .....

17. daddio211

daddio211

PLEASE tell me you're kidding. If you're not, this kid has accomplished more in 13 years than I have in 40!!! :eek:

18. daddio211

daddio211

I'm still impressed! Go Dan, go! You must have had one hell of a teacher!

19. jackandeuces

jackandeuces

Dave, the reason Dan can do these things ,like you, he believes he can and that is about 90 percent of the battle, Great job Dan.....

20. -JoeSmith-

-JoeSmith-

I don't care if he is 22 or 62; he has heart, guts and talent. Nicely done Dan.!

21. Zed

Zed
    from FRANCE

incredibly sharp work ! :eek:

subscribed :D

22. Awesome! Glad to hear your Shoebox is back on the road. Entirely different car with the T5 isn't it?

Thanks Dave, I really appreciate it. I've come a long way...got even further to go though :eek::eek:

I heard he's 7 foot tall and can lift a car over his head!

Do you take Visa? LOL

I'd like to send a shout out to my good friends Trial and Error :cool:

23. I think I can I think I can :D

Thanks Jack! If I ever get the hood in shape, I think it's gonna need some louvers.

Thanks guys, you make it sound like I know what I'm doing :eek:

24. I got most of the pass. side welded up and started roughing it in.

My hats off to you guys who can metal finish stuff! It's beyond art and black magic...I've got stupid amounts of time just to get it this far and it still looks like the moon! lol

[​IMG]

25. 52pickup

52pickup
    from Tucson, Az

Shrinking disks are your friend... and practice. You're work is excellent.

26. JeremyJames

JeremyJames
    from concord NC
    1. HAMB Merc Club

really nice work. great job!

27. SUCIO

SUCIO

Bitchin work man! Cant wait to see your next set of pics.

28. sevenevez

sevenevez
    from Yuma, AZ

you are doing a great job. i am impressed to say the least. i guess i need one of those home depot metal rulers now!

29. Still Runnin

Still Runnin
    from VA & FL

Knew you could, Knew you could! Awesome stuff their! :cool:

30. EBW

EBW

Keep it up.. getting my Ruler and notes out.