Register now to get rid of these ads!

TECH: How to make a 4 door cool! OR...Shoebox Ford 2 Door Conversion!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ClutchDumpinDan, Nov 19, 2011.

1. chappys4life

chappys4life
    from Austin, TX

Dan you keep amazing me every time I see you post. Great work man the shoebox is looking sweet.

2. Thanks Bud! If you make it up for the Pie Run, feel free to swing by and check it out in person.

3. chappys4life

chappys4life
    from Austin, TX

I think I am riding with Pete. Been a few says since I have seen you anyways.

4. POLYFRIED 35

POLYFRIED 35

~ x2 ~

5. Got my roof all welded up and started finishing it.

[​IMG]

Slowly but surely coming out nice, gonna take quite awhile.

[​IMG]

I'm really pleased how the driprail came together.

[​IMG]

Got the quarter panel seam welded up as well, gonna be a pain to finish since I can't get behind it to work on due to the wheeltub.

[​IMG]

It feels more cool already :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

Stay tuned, it's almost time for the fun part.

[​IMG]

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  6. Lowriders Art Gallery

Lowriders Art Gallery
    from Montana

I've done a few 4dr to 2dr conversions, but a little differently. Cut across the floor, through the windshield posts, and clip the whole rear section. I had a very nice 55 Ford 4dr, and a 56 ford 2dr hardtop. A restorer had cut up the hardtop for it's floor to fix a convertible. When I got through I had a 55 Ford with a low roof line. I told all the restorer's it started out as a Crown Victoria & I shaved off all the gaudy chrome. Like your work, very nice job.

7. metaldave

metaldave
    from michigan

You should leave the other side as it was . Make a chopped 3door!

8. Gambino_Kustoms

Gambino_Kustoms
    Alliance Vendor

nice work wish i would have had 2 door quaters for the shoebox converson me and mitch were doing!

9. 60 ford

60 ford

Great work I hope to do a 2 to 4 conversion.

10. rodknocker

rodknocker

Dan, you're a really smart guy, your work is awesome, its really cool to see it done this way. I've seen a few sets of 2dr doors go by on craiglist but never jumped, I just figured it'd be too much work. So here I am trying to make a 4dr look cool 5 yrs later and losing interest.

11. Thanks Alex! I wanna see that one get finished!

Thanks rodknocker!! If it was easy everyone would be doing it...now grab a set of doors and start cutting! :D

12. Noland

Noland

Very nice, are you going to do only one side that would really fuck with people haha. Its alot of work to make a 4 door into a 2 door but plenty worth it in the end. Great work

13. Why is it that the Dr. Pepper drinkers are always the most interesting folks?

Nice work, Dan. Can't wait to see it in person on the Pie Run next weekend.

14. I guess the 23 flavors brings out the good in each of my 23 personalities :D

You and the rest of the Pie Run crew are more than welcome to stop by next weekend and check it out in person.

15. Stefan T

Stefan T
    from Sweden

16. mattcrp1

mattcrp1

Very clean and well thought out, looks awsome. Need to get back to mine now great inspiration.

17. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Gee, what a hack Dan is. Is that all you got?:D Just kidding, we're not worthy! Thanks for taking the time to post. I love these on-line shop classes. When do WE get to grind and weld?

18. bobj49f2

bobj49f2

Class?!!!Damn, I wasn't taking any notes!! Is this going to count on the finals?

19. shoebox50

shoebox50

20. AV88

AV88

dan the man fantastic work wow im inspired im just about to do the same thing to my 51 shoebox, i pick up the the doors and rear cut outs tomorrow is there any other tips or pictures you can add to what you have posted already thanks

21. a bloke

a bloke

Great workmanship and well documented. Subscribed.

22. MAD MIKE

MAD MIKE
    from 94577

WOW! This is refreshing to see. Logical, clean, minimal(hell, I see none) waste.
    I often see guys just hacking away with single jacks and torches, it always has made me cringe.

I'm inspired by the ninja steel surgeon, done before we knew you were even there.:p:D

Thanks!

23. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Wow - that's a ton of work ! Good work , I might add ...

24. Amazing craftmanship! This is a clear subscription. Keep the pics and posts coming man :D

25. EBW

EBW

Subscribed as well..
    Patiently waiting for the Chop "Step by Step" tutorial Walkthrough so I can copy... :cool:

26. john~N~dallas

john~N~dallas

great work, this is stuff i dream about, right now im only dreaming one day i hope to be half as good....

27. WOW! This is great stuff! Seems like you've done this before? Inspires me to keep going on my 49. Just trying to get the brakes back in order first.

Trying to find WWW tires for mine. What size are those on your car?

28. What ever happened to that??

29. Thanks!

Thanks! 90% thought and 10% work :cool:

Ok ok, I'll try harder on the other side ;)

There will be a test at the end!

Thanks!

I think the only thing I didn't mention, when measuring where to make the vertical cut in the roof (above the doors) don't forget to compensate for the door gap. For example, you hook the tape measure on the back edge of the front door to mark the roof, you will need to add 1/8" (or whatever gap width you want) to the quarter panel. Make sense?

And be sure to post lots of pics when you do it. Good luck!

Thanks! I hope to keep the updates fairly regular, I wanna drive it!

Ninja surgeon say, when cutting with samurai sword, don't forget to add blade thickness to measurement :eek:

Thanks!

Thanks! Will do!

You want chop pics and info? I was just gonna hit the highlights, there's a TON of chop threads on here....and most of them by people who actually know what the hell there doing! :D

Quit dreaming and start choppin', it's easier than it looks :)

Thanks, glad ya like it! I've done a fair amount of rust repair, this is the most the surgery I've done on one car though. Thinking it through before jumping in is the most important thing. I'm pretty sure there 205/75R15. Whatcha got planned for you '49?

30. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

Fantastic. Excellent work!