Register now to get rid of these ads!

Tech help needed .... truck won't start!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Terry, Dec 4, 2003.

1. Terry

Terry

I have been looking around for a little truck and came across a 72 Ranchero. Yesterday I fired it up and it ran pretty good. Today went back to drive it. Went by Dad's and went in, came out fired it up and me and Dad went for a drive around the block. Then when I went to start it to take it back, it won't start.

First tried chokeing it. No go
    Checked for fire. None.
    Look at every wire I could find. No luck

Called the owner and he came over. Oh no problem he says, it floods. I thought ahhhhh OK

Now he is tring to start it and I am looking at the motor. Suddenly he is beside me with a really werid look on his face. He opens his hand and the key is there! It's cranking over with the key out and no-one in the truck!

Only thing I can think of is the soleniod on the inner fender there. Think it could be stuck?

My wife says it is a omen for one of 2 things. The truck is shit, or it's doesn't want to leave. [​IMG]

Any help would be appreciated!

2. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Sounds like your solenoid IS sticking andneeds replaced. And if the previous owner has had problems with it flooding you may very well consider a total carb rebuild and get the thing on the road. Have you tried starting it again. How did you stop the starter from turning?? I'd look at all the easy stuff first but it may be an ignition switch problem too.

3. Terry

Terry

I think your right. A total carb re-do. And the way I got it to stop was by jerking off the battery cable. I hooked it back up and now nothing happens with or without the key.

I hope it is easy stuff, can't think it can be to bad. I was just driving it! LOL

Might get him to came down off the 1500.00 price a bit now! After all it is setting in my driveway. [​IMG]