Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Tech help: Fuel starvation? Something else? 365 Cadillac

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by randy, Aug 31, 2015.

1. randy

randy

Gents,

Picked up a '57 Cadillac recently that has a pretty good running stock 365. The Carb on it was not stock and was in desperate need of a rebuild so instead I did what everyone does...put an Edelbrock 4 barrel (1406/ 600cfm) carb on it. FYI: The tank is new and all fuel lines/filters are new.

I'm getting two side effects that have me wondering wtf is going on...

1) Weird low sucking/moaning ( pretty loud) sound coming from the carb

2) An occasional backfire out of the exhaust at idle.

Coupled with the fact that I am getting what looks like a trickle of fuel through the filter those things had me thinking that I had a fuel starvation issue.

Anyway, when I pull the line at the carb inlet fuel SPRAYS OUT at pretty high pressure as you might expect in a vapor lock situation. What's weird is it'll do it before the motor heats up at all. The new lines traced the originals exactly and aren't anywhere close to a heat source.

After pulling the fuel line at the inlet I had a friend crank the engine to check for fuel flow. Fuel pumped well and filled a water bottle in a matter of seconds.

Any thoughts? I'm momentarily stumped.

I have a new fuel pump sitting on the shelf that I'll probably throw in it just because I have it around, but I don't personally think that is the issue.

Any help/ guidance is appreciated.

2. PKap

PKap
    from Alberta

I am running an edelbrock on my daily international 392. Had a similar problem, and in desperation finally added a regulator and set it at 4lbs, all my issues went away. I think maybe the pulsing of my mechanical fuel pump was making the float flutter and messing things up. Had two friends with intermittent problems with theirs, and all good with regulators added. That would be what I do first.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

randy likes this.
  3. randy

randy

@PKap...That makes sense. I'll give it a shot. Thanks!

Last edited: Aug 31, 2015