Register now to get rid of these ads!

Tech Help For A Jumpy Rear End

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Daytona F1, Jul 29, 2010.

1. Daytona F1

Daytona F1
    from Florida

I need some technical advice. I have a 51 Ford F1 with a Chevy 350/350. The rear end is a GM 10-bolt open.

The problem is under hard acceleration, when the trans shifts the rear end jump to the side. There is no wheel spin.

The truck originally had ten leafs in the rear springs. The PO reduced that to four with a helper spring added.

What is my problem? Suspension,motor mounts, trans mount, rear end.

Help Me Help Me

2. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Sounds like spring wrap to me. I would go back to more leaves but dearch them a bit to keep your stance where it is.

3. brad chevy

brad chevy

The whole truck rear jumps to the side or just the rearend,do you have any pictures of the rear setup,kinda hard to say without seeing how its installed.

4. F&J

F&J

X2.. it really sounds like the front of the spring is wrapping up, which makes it a bit shorter..which steers the rear axle. That usually has one side of the rear of the car dive down when one spring wraps more.

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yep and it happens a lot on leaf spring pickups with a lot of power and little weight.

A set of traction bars of some sort is probably the best fix.