Register now to get rid of these ads!

Tech! Floor patches without special tools! Added more!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Da Tinman, Jan 11, 2010.

1. Wicked Tin

Wicked Tin

that was awsome! Thanks!!

2. Now THAT'S what the HAMB is all about!!! Very ingenious and inspiring. Thanks for posting.

3. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

I editted it and added more stuff.

I used 20 guage drops from local heating place, they sell it by the pound at fairly low rates. 24x36" drops were 10 bucks a pop, used another one for small patches around fender mounts and tunnel.

Thanks for the compliments, your making me blush!!!

4. Zeke

Zeke

Well I guess I know how I'm replacing Stewie's floor now. How about some floor brace tech? :D

Nice Job bro!

5. NoSurf

NoSurf

btt for TECH week!

6. jbon64

jbon64
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

kick ass , excellent work jay

7. t-town-track-t

t-town-track-t
    from Tulsa

this is an awesome tech. I love it.

I did have one question. You did not include instructions as to what you used the buss fuses for? I tried this same type of patch tonight but they came out all wrong. I think I was not using the fuses correctly. Can you tell me what I did wrong?

8. lorodz

lorodz

good job, ive always wonderd how to make bead rolls without a bead roller ...

9. Great post and I like the fact you found material that others would throw away. If you ever get some tools, you are going to be hell to pay.

10. I think that's great work, my wife is a metal fabricator and loves it too... great post! great work!

11. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

The props, (fuse box, hamb tag) are to make my dumbass camera think it can focus on something,,,,, not sure what it says about you though!:D

If you ever blowup a transfer case in Springfield again, gimme a call, I take you another 2 bit tour!

Oh and I got the tools, Kick ass 14 guage brake, Mittler Bros bead roller, I just did it without them for a challenge!
    [​IMG]

12. Simple, and Useful! NICE!
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

13. stovbolt

stovbolt

nice post made some floor patches a long time ago and wanted the beading but didn't think out side the box like you now got the tin canning blues heh!! will use this Idea next time thanks!!

14. plmczy

plmczy

Nice work and thank's, now I have no excuse not to get mine done. I do have one question, are you or did you weld the seams for the floor pans under the car also? thanks, later shawn

15. slick39

slick39
    from dallas ,ga

great work thanks for sharing

16. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

your work looks awesome, but you still suck real bad... :eek:

17. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

[​IMG]

after paint and some undercoating!

Not sure what you mean by welding seams on the bottom? Tig gives you more than 100% penetration no need to weld bottom of seam.

18. ya make me feel like I could handle this in my car, same situation, floors shot but need to build a manual trans tunnel......I have an old dryer that I am hacking up to use for floor sheet metal........

19. halfcockedcustoms

halfcockedcustoms

awesome once again Jay

20. Very cool low buck tech!

Our cad needs floors too. I can get repops for about $60x4 on flea-bay. This looks much better and can be customized to work with non-stock stuff too!!

Bill

21. Your local ac place mut have given you a deal.... 20 gauge around here is $4.10 a square foot!!!! I can get 16 gauge cheaper than that from the local metal place.

22. irace2win41

irace2win41

That's what I've come to expect from fellow HAMBers! Great article.

Rod

23. jrstockwagon

jrstockwagon

thanks for the great info. i think i will just make my own floor pans, screw spending 200 bucks on repops.

24. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

good tech. thanks

25. Mercchev

Mercchev

Nice work! Sure beats spending big bucks on "factory authorized" patch panels that you still have to make fit...

26. banzaitoyota

banzaitoyota

27. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

Lol I just finished putting in "NOS" floor patch in OT mus2,,,, the hammered patches fit better than those did by far!

Thanks again for all the replies!

28. Gerg

Gerg

jay and his work is so dreamy...

29. MUNCIE

MUNCIE
    from Houston

I think he means anyhwere the patch meets the frame on the underside.I am in the process of doing my floors on the bottom side as well.I just wanted to seal the edges if you will to ensure no moisture or water got in between the frame & underside of the patch panels.Then I am going to add a coat of some type of rubberized coating.I guess for structual strength it may add some extra strength by welding it on the bottom side to frame.But I guess that is just a matter of preference but I opted to go ahead and weld them.You really did a good job on your floors! Can't wait to see the finish build.
    :cool:

30. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

Oh,, no I'm not gonna weld them solid, plugs welds are plenty and with the por treatment in the troughs and some good paint in between the layers should last a long time.