Register now to get rid of these ads!

Tech ??? - Flathead radiator 1932. What cap???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by AV8-Rider, Jan 31, 2006.

1. AV8-Rider

AV8-Rider

I have an orig 32 V8 radiator and an unfilled 32 shell that I am planning to use in my AV8.
    New core to go in and the necessary chop.
    Engine is a hopped up Flatty.

Should I mount a more modern cap on an additional neck to get a cap with spring and block the stock hole, or is it OK with the stock cap and gasket?

The installation has to look pre 1949.

What is your experiences with this?

Thanks

Paul

2. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Stock cap is fine if you have the original baffle and engine has no cooling problems. Early tank can't take much pressure due to unsupported tanks, but some pressure is good according to Yunick as it helps suppress local hot spots and helps keep water and metal together in normal cooling. My thought on making a bit of pressure AND coolant recovery without any modern junk under hood: Extend overflow tube out with rubber hose to a remote tank, where it ends in a submerged 1/8" pipe thread Tee fitting. One branch of fitting has a 2-pound brake relief valve (return), other has 4 pound (pressure) valve, streetrod residual pressure valves...should function like a modern radiator cap--I think. Stock cap gets double gasket for tight seal. Just a thought at this time.
    If running completely stock cap, it needs to find its own level--you fill it and drive; it will blow a certain amount of fluid, like the top third of what's in the tank, out on the ground as things expand, and then will be stable at that level IF car's cooling system is good. Topping up is futile, as expansion will blow it right out on next drive.

3. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

My stock height 32 radiator with stock non-pressuized cap cools my mostly stock flatty just fine. I've cooled several small Chevys with the same non-pressurized set up.

4. AV8-Rider

AV8-Rider

Thanks guys.

I'm at ease here now. Is of course always and option to add preassure system later if necessary.

Paul