Register now to get rid of these ads!

TECH: Fitting A 31 Cowl To A 32 Frame

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by D-Russ, Jan 24, 2007.

1. To mount my 31 A body onto my 32 frame, I had to channel the body slightly so the body's flat subrails would fit the graceful curve of the frame. Once I did this, the bottom front corner of the cowl hung down over the frame about 3/4 of an inch, and I thought it conflicted with the flowing lines of the deuce frame. Since I needed to put patch panels in the lower cowl anyway, I decided to address both issues at the same time.
    P1200017.jpg

I made a simple pattern that flowed upward with the shape of the frame.
    P1200019.jpg

Next, I transferred the new shape to the patch panel and made a few cuts.
    P1200021.jpg

After a little welding and grinding, I had a new curved patch panel.
    P1200028.jpg

I then fit the panel to the cowl and welded it in. Here you can see how much the lower body line will be moved up.
    P1200029.jpg

Next, I cut off the remainder of the lower cowl and moved it up to align with the patch. You can see how the original body line is cut and bent down to line up with the new body line on the patch panel.
    P1200035.jpg

A little more welding and grinding (plus a future skim coat of filler) and it's done.
    P1200036.jpg

Last edited: Sep 1, 2017
    DylanHill1931 and 29EHV8 like this.
  2. abonecoupe31

abonecoupe31
    from Michigan

I saw this done years ago, but they usee a patch panel from a 32 Ford to get the curved section...

29EHV8 likes this.
  3. RodLand

RodLand

Very good, I will use this trick on my 30 coupe when I find my Round Tuit.:eek:

4. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Yup, one of the first cars I really looked at up close had the same thing done with a '32 patch panel. And sodbuster, if you're reading this it is your boss' roadster I'm talking about.

5. Mike Paul

Mike Paul
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Did you pinch the rails? Do you have any pics of the cowl foot from the inside? Thanks.....Mike

6. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

great post.

7. Rolf

Rolf

Druss, looks great, love the curved part. Looks like Henry did it.

I had to clean up my server, the pix should be back now.

8. sololobo

sololobo

Love those Vicky cars. I have a neighbor with a minty 31 that makes me drool when I drive by it. Really nice work on this dandy. Rock on dude. ~sololobo~

9. Sky Pilot

Sky Pilot

a real craftsman br:cool:ther !

10. charlieb66

charlieb66

In the last photo, the patch panel bead appears to be somewhat wider than the door bead. How will you address this? Also, if you are working on a Coupe, the door bottoms are not straight. Replacement cowl panels are mostly crap.