Register now to get rid of these ads!

TECH: Fenderwell headers for your gasser

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ELpolacko, Feb 12, 2004.

1. I'll be watching for updates..good stuff.

2. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Nice work, Stevie Wonder.
    Do you have any shots of the headers I did for the same customer? This guy is huge, missing fingers and am pretty sure has killed people in the past and here I am, half his size and have never built a pair of headers, much less fenderwell deals that poke through the fenders and that have cutouts that snake through the frame and out back for the street. This guy is telling me that nothing bothers him more than dings in his headers, that and they have to be perfect, hey, no sweat! I think they turned out great, not bad for an artfag. Joe liked them, I lived.

3. Blownolds

Blownolds
    from So Cal

Some tips I have been given by those who have worked with headers:

1)use large stainless hose clamps with holes drilled in them to help with tacking the joints. Tighten clamp around the two pipes and tack through the holes.

2)"backpurge" (I think that's what it's called-- flood the tubes with inert gas inside. Then when you weld the joints, they will be smooth on the inside and not rough which can hurt the flow.

4)Someone told me that if you make your primary pipes out of mild steel and grind the welds smooth, and still have the primaries as separate pipes, that you can take them to someone with a CNC mandrel bender and have them make one-piece primaries and get rid of the ugly welds. Supposedly Burns Stainless has this service, but I haven't verified.

4. Blownolds

Blownolds
    from So Cal

Oh yes, after welding it all up, take the headers to a shop and have the flanges sanded dead flat again.