Register now to get rid of these ads!

tech: early ford steer colum

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by titus, Dec 14, 2003.

1. titus

titus

hey hows it going again, i got anothe tech tip for ya, maybe some of you already use this trick mybe not.
    On some of the cars ive tinkered with if put late model steering boxes in em, ie vega or mustang or corvair. we i like to use the original ford steering columns and the problem with that is the steering box sets the preload on the column and supoorts it. so what do i do, well first i go down to the parts store and get a hold a a pilot bushing with the dorman part # of 690-041. heres a pic

Attached Files:

2. titus

titus

the next thing i do is set up the desired steering column lenght,tube and shaft, then measure what the id of the bushing needs to be changed to (we opted to cover the welding of the borgeson adapter whitch is 1 inch) so then you drill out the end to that size, then just slide it over the shaft and inside the column and clamp it in place with the original clamp. then you need to weld a washer directly next to the bushing to keep it from moving to much(plus whens its all atachted it wont go to far) oops forgot to say you put a light spring inbetween the steer wheel andthe column up top.heres another pic

Attached Files:

3. titus

titus

and hers your final pic, (in the pic above the washer isnt welded on yet)

Attached Files:

4. What box is that ? I'm assuming the Pitman arm goes down.

5. that's a reversed corvair box, that he needs to send to me so i can install a seal in it....

6. i never thought about a pilot bushing,looks like it works well. i like to use Pete & jakes microflex bushing #1202 both on top and bottom. they have and ID of 3/4" without the steel inner sleeve,same as old ford streering shafts. P & J steel sleeve # 1259 (1-3/8" OD) slides right inside the tube,and plug weld them in. the steering wheel hub goes right aginst the top bushing,use an 3/4" collar with set screw on bottom....of course the inner shaft will have to be spliced to the spline of your choice....3/4-36 spline from borgenson is probabilly the best

7. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

A couple of folks make roller bearing conversions for the top to replace that nasty rubber bushing Henry put there in the first place. Don't see why they wouldn't work on the bottom too. (Dan Brusegard & Samuel Chastain are the fellows - let me know if anyone needs their contact info - $30-40 for their setup)

But the pilot bearing idea is pretty slick!

[​IMG]

8. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

BTTT...for this good info!
    Thanks Mr T!

Bill

9. Good post..I hit the local bearing outlet to buy a sealed roller bearing to fit in mine..works great also.

10. Rude Dude

Rude Dude

On top of my steering colum housing that has a 1 3/4 OD I went to ace hardware and used axle bearings with flange these are used on go carts and riding lawn mowers, they also have 3/4 collers with allen screws to hold down assembly, also the corvair steering bell housing (1 3/4 inch) was a perfect fit to conceal all this stuff been using it since 93. Works great

11. Another way to do it is Go-Kart bearings. You can buy em sealed and unsealed. I like the other 2 ideas as well.

12. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Canadians use SNOWBLOWER bushings! You can't get them in the states ya know! Hahahaha

Bill