Register now to get rid of these ads!

TECH: Cheap steering column speedo mount

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dv8, Mar 13, 2007.

1. dv8

dv8

...Or tach.

I have an uncut tank in the 29 truck, and really had no room to mount my big speedometer. I could have cut a hole in the dash, but would have had to cut another hole in the bottom to access the back of the gauge to mount it.

I was looking around the shop, and spied a couple of old aluminum spray guns, so I decided to cut a hole in one, and slip the gauge in it, and stick it on top of the column.

[​IMG]

I cut into it a little with the hole saw...but there is no way you are going to be able to hold it and cut the whole thing that way, and the vise will destroy it, so I used a jigsaw to finish it off, and a dremel to open it up just enough to slide the gauge in nice and tight.

[​IMG]

I cleaned the outside of it up with a mini angle grinder with an aluminum cleaning scotch-bright disc, but it would take a polish, or "machine turning" as well.

[​IMG]

I just used a couple of stainless hose clamps to put it on the column...and it ain't goin' nowhere!

[​IMG]

As a side note, if the column was longer, I could have used the old neck of the gun with the top cut off, to "finish" the back of the cup off, and run the wires, and cable out nice and clean.

Not much in the way of tech...but maybe it would be a little bit of a "problem solver" for someone facing this same issue in the future...

2. AHotRod

AHotRod

That's simple and cool, thanks for taking the time to post the pictures.

3. mbmopar

mbmopar
    from Canada

Thanks for that! That would sure look good with a bit o' polish ! or a turning !

Derek

4. dv8

dv8

That's what I was thinking...It was all scratched up after the cutting, and rolling around on the concrete floor, but I cleaned it up with the scotch-brite. It gave it a "satin" look.

5. MBL

MBL

Please note that amost everything on the truck has been cut with the "I've never been so drunk" level of accuracy....so it really matches everything else being offset like that.
    Shiner Bock and Rheingold still in the shop fridge!
    Tim
    MBL

6. Kee-riced, do we have to hear about EVERYTHING you do?!?!:D