Register now to get rid of these ads!

TECH: Camaro Clip in your 58 chevy-in one day!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LUX BLUE, Dec 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HotRodrookie

HotRodrookie
    from nor cal

The engine and trans were already is there and it looked too far forward. Took the body and sheetmetal off, pulled the engine and trans, then z cut the c-chanel framerail of the truck infront of the rear body mount. beveled the edges and tig welded them back together. Then air chizeled out the front body mount rivots and welded them back on 2 inches forward. Put the body and sheet metal back on, threw in the engine and trans, and presto, back to stock and looks way better then it was.

2. cowboy1

cowboy1
    from Austin TX

here are some progress pictures of my swap but, it's taking longer than a day.[​IMG]

3. Withnail

Withnail
    from San Jose

Can I ask a potentially dumb question? With the Camaro clip welded under the truck's frame rail, how does the truck sit if it is aired out all the way down? Does the Camaro frame sit lower than the rocker?

4. LUX BLUE

LUX BLUE
    Alliance Vendor
    from AUSTIN,TX

The frame rail (camaro side) can't be seen under the truck- these trucks have a natural "channeled" effect, so they have plenty of room under the rail. as far as bagging one is concerned, it is better to have the rails under the frame, so the truck doesn't sit on the rockers- it sits on the subframe. meaning there is a far lesser chance of tearing up the body if You end up on top of an uneven surface.

5. Withnail

Withnail
    from San Jose

Ok, that all makes sense. I was just curious how far down the bottom of the camaro frame sat in relation to the bottom of the rocker. I'm looking to do this but i want to truck to lay out.

6. LUX BLUE

LUX BLUE
    Alliance Vendor
    from AUSTIN,TX

Properly done, it will dig trenches. things to keep in mind-

You gotta run the stock style trans and oil pans- they have good ground clearance on a camaro clip. if You want it a bit higher, it's cake to raise them 1/2 an inch, because there is plenty of room between the cab and the motor/trans. (though you might have to modify the trans tunnel cover a little bit if You are running a Gennie, Lokar or similar type shifter.)

one really kick ass aspect of it is the exhaust has a TON of room above the camaro crossmember, so You can tuck it up against the body nice and tight, and never worry about beating up the exhaust when aired out. I really like the Heddman rear dump shorty headers for this application. They fit beautifully, and if You were trying to keep the factory column shifter, even that could be made to work with them.

7. Withnail

Withnail
    from San Jose

I am looking to use a GM van tilt with a column shift. I presumed the pan wouldn't sit below the the factory X member if I use the factory motor mounts.
    When you say "properly done" I presume you mean like the step by step contained in this thread?
    Thanks for the info BTW, this is an awesome thread.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2008
  8. LUX BLUE

LUX BLUE
    Alliance Vendor
    from AUSTIN,TX

Mine is one method of many, and it works for me. if bagged, it would for sure lay out.

I would re-consider that column. very few things look more out of place than a modern column where a gennie one used to live. they're super simple, and as I always say, if I can do it, anyone can. :D

9. Withnail

Withnail
    from San Jose

I would re-consider that column. very few things look more out of place than a modern column where a gennie one used to live. they're super simple, and as I always say, if I can do it, anyone can. :D[/quote]

The stock current column shifter seems to be in good shape and it does look cool.
    Thanks for the advice

10. azsnow

azsnow

I purchased the video from no limit on how to front clip my truck. Although the video looks like something that was produced in the '80's, it was informative.

The process they use in the video is that they slide the camaro front clip into the original frame. This process looks very time consuming and way more work than the process outlined here.

Has anyone done both types of swap, and which one worked better? Was there a difference in handling and use of parts?

The only difference I noticed in the finished process, is that the process outlined here, left the truck a bit lower, than that used by no limit.

Can the original camaro motor mounts be used in either or both swaps?

11. LUX BLUE

LUX BLUE
    Alliance Vendor
    from AUSTIN,TX

The no limit ay of doing this should actually leave the truck sitting 1.750 inches lower than my way, but there are a ton of reasons why mabey it didn't (anything from tire size, spring rate or camera angle may have been the culprit.) While I have no problem with thier method, Yes, it is a whole helluva lot more difficult. ( for example, it gets pretty tight to the floor pretty quick using thier method. heck, it's pretty tight to the floor using this method., but thiers requires modifying the floorpans.)

The original motor mounts can be retained using this method. Yes, even if it's actually a pontiac frame and You are using a Pontiac motor. or an Oldsmobile motor. Transmission crossmember can also be re-used. ( in all the smae applications.

12. azsnow

azsnow

Well, since I have aquired a 81 Z28, i will be attempting this swap very soon, and will be using this process outlined here.

I do have a question concerning the steering though, in the photos, it seemed as if the steering had a bind where the joint meets. I read and followed the entire thread several times, but I guess I just am not understanding the whole process of fixing this situation. Any advice in this matter would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks

odass likes this.
  13. LUX BLUE

LUX BLUE
    Alliance Vendor
    from AUSTIN,TX

no, it was just a lousy picture. the point of all that was toretain the original column, as the Camaro column loks like kaka in an early cab.

I assure You, it will make sense in the long run.

14. Paul Y

Paul Y

Ah, Mr Good Cat,

I have to say that your step by step methodology has convinced me to cut off the poorly fitted clip and start again from scratch.

One question, I have to use the Camaro column as that is what is in the truck. Problem is that with this I cannot get enough clearance to fit a manual pedal box.

And it looks crap.

How did you attach the old column to the Camaro shaft?

Is it possible for you to show a couple of pictures of this??

Many thanks

P.

15. LUX BLUE

LUX BLUE
    Alliance Vendor
    from AUSTIN,TX

sure...page 1, pictures 8, 9, and 10.:D

That whole little section there is how (historically) I have always done it.

Interesting factoids that may be of potential use To You fellas...

Newer Model Caprice/Impala (90-96?)has a relatively short column with about 9 friggin miles of shaft in it. the support bearing at the bottom of the column looks suspiciously similar to the C-10 bearings I like so much.

It also has a similar style joint in it, which looks a bit "tougher" and for sure is a few decades Younger.

16. azsnow

azsnow

So now that I have aquired the Camaro, I will be chopping soon! I also have a 454 and TH400 out of a 74 GMC with about 65,000 miles on it that will be going between the framerails. Has anyone done a swap like this with the Big Block? What trouble am I going to run into?

17. LUX BLUE

LUX BLUE
    Alliance Vendor
    from AUSTIN,TX

don't use long tube race car headers and you will be fine.:D

18. daddio211

daddio211

Thanks to the inspiration from Lux Blue (and several other online friends) I've begun clipping the wife's '48. Of course not all of the instruction Lux posted here applies to the '48-'54 trucks but it's sure a good start!

The subframe has been sandblasted, painted and primed (by my wife), we pulled off the front sheetmetal and we hope to cut the chassis this weekend. Thanks Lux!

Another friend provided me with this shot of how he clips the '48-'54's
    [​IMG]

Here's her truck as of a few days ago:
    [​IMG]

19. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

so are you using a camaro clip? if so, are you gonna get the narrowed a-arms? the camaro/nova clips tend to be to wide for those trucks.

20. azsnow

azsnow

I do have the '74 GMC the motor and trans came in as well as the rest of the Camaro that I will not be using. If anybody needs any parts, hit me up.

21. What clip works the best for width on a 47-54 chevy pickup? would it be unrealistic to camaro clip a s-10 frame that is already under a 50 chevy pickup? Don't ask I'm so upside down on this project. Another question,
    is there a very narrow rack that fit onto a 2wd s-10 chassis?

Fenderless

22. daddio211

daddio211

Going to run stock 5" steelies on the front with a tall(ish) tire. May even go bias plies, but not sure yet. I'll use the narrowed arms if necessary. So far I'm pretty confident everything will fit.

23. yule16met

yule16met
    from Hudson, WI

I have my subframe I just unloaded from the trailer. Cant wait to do the swap.
    I need to know the best place to get the suspension rebuild kit?

24. daddio211

daddio211

I was planning on using PST but haven't looked through the Alliance Vendors yet. I'm up for suggestions!

25. LUX BLUE

LUX BLUE
    Alliance Vendor
    from AUSTIN,TX

I use the p.s.t. kits almost exclusively. however, they are somehow tied to kanter, so don't expect any discounts...(lame.)

Hyperflex stuff is damn nice, too.

26. daddio211

daddio211

Well if PST is good enough for Lux it's gotta be good enough for me. Thanks again dude!

27. azsnow

azsnow

So upon looking at rebuild kits for my '81 Z-28 frontend, I have noticed that its differnt than the rest as far as parts go. 80-81 is listed seperate, and you must specify motor size. I will be running a 454, an option that wasn't available then, and am wondering what difference this will make in the project. If anybody is familiar with the F-bodys, please help me out. As far as I am concerned, any Camaro newer than '73 is only good for parts!

28. Here's a 58 I did around 90-91, I slipped the 77 stub inside the rails and flipped the rear on top of the springs.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

29. LUX BLUE

LUX BLUE
    Alliance Vendor
    from AUSTIN,TX

with the z-28, You are gonna have Mo bigga sway bars, and sometimes lower control arm bushings are different. This is provided that it is indeed upper and lower control arm style. ( in 81, You end up with some of those being early versions of strut cars.)

give 'em a call, they will ask You the questions they need answers to.

30. JAWS

JAWS

I just finished stringing truck number 30 that my buddy does. He has a jig and ends up using the front horns off the original frame to make mounting the core support and the front sheet metal back up and usually ends up making the fit better than the stock frame did originally. I don't have any good pictures of the in build shots during fabrication of the clip. I just have some of the finished frame and then those after. Here's a few of what I have.

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.