Register now to get rid of these ads!

TECH: Butter Dish Air Scoops for Drum Brakes

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by good_ol_boy, Oct 2, 2008.

1. I've always liked the way air scoops look on drilled backing plates... I figured I'd try to make my own, instead of buying some nice spendy ones.

I spotted these stainless butter dishes at Target, and immediately thought it was something I could work with...
    Here's what I did with a $10 butter dish and a few hours of labor...
    [​IMG]

Just what I thought... this will fit great... These are Wilson Welding's "Lincoln" backing plates.
    [​IMG]

First I cut it in half, and then trimmed it to shape...
    [​IMG]

Then I cut a piece out of the bottom tray to fill in the back...
    [​IMG]

Sorry guys, you're gonna need a TIG for this one...
    I welded the filler piece in first... smoothed it all out, then drilled some holes for air flow... the smaller holes are for rivets, to fasten it to the backing plate...
    [​IMG]

Drilled the backing plate to match...
    [​IMG]

The scoop looked really cheap with the front wide open... so next, I cut a piece and filled the front in. I couldn't decide if I was going to drill holes or cut slots or what. I drilled the front full of staggered holes, but it didn't look right... so ended up cutting it out to this shape...
    [​IMG]

I figured I'd better sandwich this screen under the scoop, to keep rocks and crap out...
    [​IMG]

Here's a shot of it riveted to the backing plate-
    [​IMG]

Here's some quick mock up shots of what it looks like on there...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Still have some detail filing to do and I'll probably polish them up, once I start assembling everything... after paint and all that. Unless I come up with something else.

2. Hoptup Jalop

Hoptup Jalop

there ya go!! thats a great tech! good job!

3. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

THAT is fuckin' RAD!

4. VNTGE41

VNTGE41
    from l.a.

nice tech!good work

5. Damn, I was hoping for something easy, this is beyond my skill level. I wonder how it would look if the edge of the crown, instead of flat, followed the radius of the backing plate, like the part with the screen? Probably hard to get it to match.

6. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

way cool, and very resourceful. Outstanding

7. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Clever bugger!!!!!

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  8. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

I better get to Target before the rest of you buy em up. Cool idea man, looks great. I'm gonna cut slots in the fronts of mine.

9. I think it's just the angle of those pics. I tried to make it match the curve. I just beagle-eyed it though, so it could be off.
    [​IMG]

10. Looks perfect in that shot.

11. Very nice!

12. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

I agree. Totally fuckin' rad!

13. James Boys

James Boys
    from London ONT

THAT is ingenuity! Awesome....

14. Ultra sano and thats thinkin outside the box. Well done !!

Rat

15. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

just be sure you don't get any butter on your brake shoes.

16. wow this is badass! killer tech post, nice craftsmanship and what a freakin mad idea! im diggin it

17. Twisted Minis

Twisted Minis

I'm going to Target!

18. irondoctor

irondoctor
    from Newton, KS

Great idea... I'm gonna sneak our butter dish out to the shop when she aint lookin

19. mike54

mike54
    from California

Well done. So when some body looks back there and says "cool air scoops" are you going to nod and say "thank you" or are you going to say "Actually they started as a butter dish."

20. Thanks for the positive comments guys.

They're very easy to weld together. I just set my tig at 28 amps, no filler needed for the bottom... the front might need a little... just cut really thin strips from the left over base part with some snips, and use that for filler. I really only needed filler in one corner, where I cut it back a little too far. It blends perfect when you file it, can't see a seam at all.

I also recommend that you drill the back before you weld it... because it's hard as hell to drill it after it's together. I learned the hard way on the first one. I chewed up a couple bits drilling that stainless.

21. floored

floored

That is too cool, one question though did you break into a cold sweat when you drilled the holes in the backing plates?

22. HHRdave

HHRdave
    BANNED
    from So Cal

Great tech post ! I'm just wondering why you didn't cut the scoops long ways and mount them like this:??? (for better cooling)

[​IMG]

23. panic

panic

What's missing?
    The air can't get out.
    You need an exit with area at least as large as the entry, preferably into a low-pressure location. It should also be as far away from the entry as possible so the air flushes through and carries away heat.

Attached Files:

24. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Very cool...now all we need is a firewall recess made from a WOK!!!!!

25. Gambino_Kustoms

Gambino_Kustoms
    Alliance Vendor

nice job you rule

26. panic

panic

There are also lots of interesting shapes in stainless and cast aluminum cookware to be found at flea markets with stains, minor cosmetic damage (that scares people away from making food in them), priced just above the scrap rate.

27. valkokir

valkokir
    from DeKalb, IL

Nice work! I've got a set of cast aluminum easter egg shaped cake molds in my stash I picked up for doing the same some day.

28. fiat128

fiat128
    from El Paso TX

That's cool. I can imagine the marketing dept at Target scratching their heads over all the tattooed guys coming in buying up all the butter dishes.

PS: I like the Sears tires too (puts an image in my head of some hot rodder waiting in line behind all the Fred McMurray types driving station wagons to get tires on his car), are they still selling those or is it something from a place like Coker?

29. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

Dude! That is freaking tight! It goes to show what you can do with a little ingenuity. That is really cool, man.

30. 54BOMB

54BOMB

Good work, I like the small scoop idea, if you found a smaller dish you could put a little exit scoop on the other side, seen that before and it looks great.