Register now to get rid of these ads!

TECH: Adjustable wheelstands, no more guessing on the ride height, while you build.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chris Casny, Mar 3, 2008.

1. NealinCA

NealinCA

Rolf thought of this too...

[​IMG]

Seems like nothing is new in hot rodding...it's just everyone has there own take on an old idea.

Neal

2. temper_mental

temper_mental
    from Texas

Some day when I have a concrete floors I will be making the wheel stand wonderful idea A+

3. autobilly

autobilly

Kool stands Dreadman. With a little refinement you could probably market those, or take them to a tool company who could. Not that every thing should be about $$$. But a little more can't hurt the build(s).

4. One question----- the 1/2 inch hole 5/8's of an inch from the edge ,,, is that from the edge of the hole or center punch mark of the hole???? Just asking but it would make the word of difference. Neeeeto idea!!!!!

5. Chris Casny

Chris Casny

Center of the hole (punchmark), but what really matters is that you have 5.25" from center to center of the 1/2" holes.

6. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Very helpful tech thread Chris.

7. noboD

noboD

Dreadman, great idea. How about welding one upright stationary, like you have it? Then weld a small clip with one hole for a 1/2 inch bolt and bolt the other upright to it, so it will adjust to other bolt patterns?

8. greendream

greendream

That's an awesome idea!

9. Thanks but if you get too far back from the edge of the steel, the other studs will hit when lining up or am I just a little off base?? I see the concept and would never attempt without dry fitting this rig to a wheel pattern before welding!

I still dig the entire concept of being able to set your ride height before you spend a buttload of dough on tires to be highly disappointed after mounting, balancing, and putting them on your ride!!!

10. CURIOUS RASH

CURIOUS RASH
    Classified's Moderator

DANG!

I posted a little while back looking for ideas on building things just like this and got nothing...

Glad I didn't build them yet because I can see workinh a few ideas from each of these into a really useful set of roller stands!

11. BadLuck

BadLuck

Damn...could have used those a few months ago!! Great idea...

12. toddc

toddc

Me Too:eek::eek::eek:
    I did it with a freshly painted TR2, and stuffed both rear guards.:rolleyes:

13. Man those are great.... On my way to the garage to build a set!!!
    Thanks

Klaus

14. great planning and seems ez enough!
    can't wait til harbor freight has these" made in china"..
    2 for 15 bucks
    patents any one ?

yup the combo set?
    wider base.
    with a 3 wheels one locking.
    bolt on top arched cross bar with 3rd hole attachment to lug.
    make one vertical post with slotted angle iron atachments to the base.

any body ever weld onto existing car skates somethin like this?

15. Deadbird

Deadbird

I gotta make me some of those. Great tech thread.

16. Big Tony

Big Tony

Great ideas.... and easy to build... got to keep these in my roladex for my future frame up build

17. happy hoppy

happy hoppy

great idea, thanks!

18. old dirt tracker

old dirt tracker
    from phoenix

1 thing that needs to be considered here is that the stands controll the spindle position not the frame height. thats controlled by the springs and will constantly settle as parts are added to the build.

19. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

20. Chris Casny

Chris Casny

It's all about setting the height for the tire, these wheelstands obviously have nothing to do with the suspension.
    Building a car with tires that are too tall or too small, is a real challenge. Imagine building a car with airbags, these wheels stands will come in real handy, suddenly there is space to do stuff without the wheels and tires in the way, while maintaining the height.