Register now to get rid of these ads!

***TECH: A $10 '32 Wishbone***

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by NealinCA, Oct 6, 2010.

1. RGG

RGG

Great idea!!! Good thing I have been saving up Model A wishbones...

RGG

2. My pleasure!:D

3. NealinCA

NealinCA

I never pass up a free Model A wishbone...they come in handy for all kinds of things. I used one to make up the rear "wishbone" in my RPU...

[​IMG]

It's made from 35-36 rear forgings, 37-40 front tubes (they are 3/16" wall) and a Model A yoke/ball forging. I did the same sort of plate cut into the tube vertically where I joined the 40 tubes to the 36 rear forgings...

[​IMG]

I also used a Model A wishbone tube for the torque arm...

[​IMG]

There are endless possibilities recycling old Ford junk... :)

Neal

4. Looks great
    Did it warp at all and pinch in the bones from the welding.

First thing I thought of when I saw this post was the GMC into 32 grill shell too.

5. I remember that one, one of my favorites.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  6. Racrdad

Racrdad

Super nice job! Tech threads of all kinds are my favorites!

7. Bingo with this phrase.

Once again Neal great work.

8. Neal, have you done a tech on how you modified/extended the beam forgings at the hanger ends?

9. NealinCA

NealinCA

No...I didn't take pictures of that part of the project...but I'll try to explain it here with some drawings.

I started with the 35-36 rear forging...

[​IMG]

Then cut off the old tubes, and trimmed the top and bottom flanges back, leaving the center web sticking out about an inch...

[​IMG]

I cut out the profile I wanted from some 1/4" plate. This made the web for the drop. Note that these are cut long so that they will extend into the new tubes.

[​IMG]

I then formed the new top and bottom flanges out of some more 1/4" plate. These were cold formed in the vise and worked until I got nice flowing curves.

[​IMG]

Then the 40 front tubes that I used were slit top and bottom and slid over the web extension to form the same type of joint that I used to repair the front wishbone shown above.

[​IMG]

This was all tacked together with the rear end in the chassis...with the pinion angle set...and then pulled out for final welding.

Hope that helps.

Neal

rod1, dwollam, barrnone50 and 2 others like this.
  10. Thanks Neal, I appreciate you taking the time for this.

11. ChassisResearchKid

ChassisResearchKid
    from Michigan

Cool tech artical. Thanks.

12. Back on my Model A torque arm last night Neal, thanks for the inspiration!

13. NealinCA

NealinCA

FYI, I did the same thing on the torque arm. I left the web of the Model T axle and slotted the Model A wishbone tube so it would pierce in about 3-4 inches. I think that makes a real strong joint.

Neal

14. Mine will gather some head sctratchin. Wimpy "A" REAR wishbone that a person SHOULD NEVER USE in its stock form. But, it is wrapped around a piece of DOM threaded for a tie rod end. I didn't have any fancy forgings so I am making a tab with ears to attach to teh Banjo.

15. Great work, nice job!

16. Neal, hats off to you. Not only do you do great work, and are kind enough to take the time to photograph and post it up here for us, but also follow up on all our questions with drawing to explain what was done. It's guys like you that make the H.A.M.B., and hot rodding period, what a wonderful thing it is. Please keep up the fantastic work, hacks like myself depend on it!

bct and kidcampbell71 like this.
  17. Louie

Louie
    from NJ

great work Neal,we must shop at the same swap meets

[​IMG]

18. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

I agree, also lighter and good for the odd shape of the bone. That type of joint, with an internal fishplate is an aircraft construction trick. Years ago, my grandfather told me that's how they would build certain tubing joints when he was an aircraft mech in WW2. Pretty slick!:cool:

19. Jax2A

Jax2A

Neal, do you have a close up shot of the front attachment point of your torque arm? I'd like to see that because I was thinking of using an A bone for my torque arm too. Thanks

20. NealinCA

NealinCA

I welded some 1/4" plate to the web on the back of the Model A wishbone yoke to extend the right side back. This made a place to weld a tab to bolt the torque arm to. Since the torque arm is just another leg of the wishbone, it can be bolted rigid.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]<O:p</O:p

Here's the torque arm "kit". Model T axle forging and Model A wishbone tube...

[​IMG]<O:p></O:p>

Neal

dwollam, ct1932ford and kidcampbell71 like this.
  21. Jax2A

Jax2A

Awesome, thanks. Nice work there. I'll have to start keeping my eyes peeled for the end of a T axle.

22. McFly

McFly

BTTT...just because this is cool as hell.

23. The37Kid

The37Kid

Has someone made an index of all the projects Neal has posted on the HAMB? I just reread parts of this one and found out there really is a use for a Model T Ford front axle other than steering a T down the road.

24. Forgot about this one...Thanks Jared for bringing it up....

25. Another great thread ruined by greedy Photobucket...

26. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

All the pictures are there for me???

27. Wish the HAMB was more like this.

28. The37Kid

The37Kid

That build was one of my all time favorite HAMB Builds. Bob

kidcampbell71 and NealinCA like this.
  29. Paul

Paul
    Editor

I love looking at Neal's work.

kidcampbell71 and The37Kid like this.
  30. A Boner

A Boner

Anyone have some sort of measurement for those who don't have access to an original?