Register now to get rid of these ads!

TECH...53 Chevy T5/ open drive conversion.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tony, May 3, 2008.

1. Did you ever get a chance to measure how far back from the firewall the S10 shifter comes up through the floor? I mocked up seats and a console in mine, just wondering if the console will even work with the T5 installed. I suppose I could measure how far on my T4 and use the handy rust hole in the driver's side floorpan to figure out where the front of it would come, but I haven't even been up to the garage I have mine stored in all month.

2. Tony

Tony

Actually i did and had it with me when i went to 'Cuse, but never met up with you and now have no idea what it was. Then, i forgot to send it to ya.. Sorry about that..
    I'll check again and send you a pm with the info...

3. Dan

Dan

Cool piece, thinking about doing this to my '53. One question (and maybe I missed this somewhere??) you say you had your clutch disc custom made - has anyone found a stock, parts house piece that works? I just hate to think of having to custom order a clutch if I could just go to the parts house and pick one up?? Thanks-

4. Tony

Tony

Honestly, i didn't bother checking to see if there was a disc that would just 'work' For the cost i just had one made..
    I'd think there may be something that would work, may even be the stock S-10..Not sure though..
    The way i was looking at it was, i know the inline dosn't make the power i'd need to blow the clutch apart :)..so i figured i's get years out of it before it was time to replace it..

5. turdmagnet

turdmagnet

I'm currently doing this with a 51 Pontiac with a 239 I6. The original clutch measured 6" ID and 9-1/4" OD. The standard clutch that came with the T5 I got measured 6" ID and 9"OD - both were the same thickness so I going with that. I'm sure the 1/16" difference wont matter for me - after all I've only got 90 horses to play with.

6. From what I understand, a 70's Vega disk is just right. It is 9" diameter, 1" bore and has the right number of splines. It also has the hub pointing out to one side only which is required.

I'm planning to do this swap pretty soon myself and have been planning to use the Buffalo adapter. What did it cost you?

7. Tony

Tony

I'm pretty sure it was either 140 or 145, and that was with him machining the input collar of the T5 for the 53 throwout bearing, and the hardware to bolt the plate to the bell housing.
    I felt it was WELL worth the cost..

8. gas pumper

gas pumper

I got 2 T-5's running. One in a C-series with a 350, and one in the T roadster with a 283.
    Some clutch info on the 1 inch 14 spline inputs.

CP-4201, 9 5/8 dia. 83-88 Jeep, 83-88 Chev-GMC

D-4212, 11 dia. 85-90 Chevy-GMC (Astro Van)

CD-4203, 9 1/8 dia. 83-94 Chevy-Jeep-GMC-Isuzu (stock S-10 disk)

When you just need the disc and already have a PP these numbers are the ones parts stores and rebuilders use.

9. Tony

Tony

THIS is GREAT information!
    Thanks for adding it!

10. old dirt tracker

old dirt tracker
    from phoenix

235 owners take note. a 3,36 gear and a .070 overdrive gives you a 2.35-2.40, final. a 235 will handle this much gear because they are a torque engine not a rpm hound like a sbc.

11. reverendjim

reverendjim

hey im doing the same convertion and im wondering what gears your using and what rpms are you doing at 75mph im trying to keep the origanal rear end houseing and put in 3.36 out of a 55 chevy

12. reverendjim

reverendjim

also im told stock s 10 clucths are finefor this aplication. the stock 216 and 235 clutches are 9.25 in diameter. so im told if you use the stock s10 clutch plate that is all you need to change. what all did you change in your clutch. im really trying to put this swap together and then put together a how too with part numbers mesuments and so forth for the next guy and also because my 51 truck is next in line after my coupe

13. Christopher26

Christopher26

Great illustrations Tony. Quick question though, what drive shaft did you use? I have a 51 sedan, and called Buffalo Enterprisies and he said to use a 89 and earlier tranny for the speedometer, and a 4wd rear, but then he said I could use a Nova or Camaro driveshaft but was'nt sure of the years. Any info would be great. Thanks

14. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

I had one made to fit for $200, but I have read that 70s mid size gm cars had a close enough driveshaft. It needs to be about 51" center to center, the t5 uses the same output spline as a th350, saginaw, some others.

I used a 62 truck flywheel / plate and a 10.5" jeep 2wd clutch disc

15. Tony

Tony

I had one made as well. I work at a shop so i get pretty good rates on new shafts, mine was around 150..
    I have no idea what one's will actually fit from another car though, sorry.
    Thanks for the props.

Tony

16. Rhino Ray

Rhino Ray

I followed the instructions above but used the Buffalo transmission mount kit.

[​IMG]

This is what I cut out.

[​IMG]

This is before it was trimmed and the e-brake was installed.

[​IMG]

Completed, works great. The angel iron for the spring did not come with the kit.

[​IMG]

Here is a better angle on the spring perch.

[​IMG]

Cables were a bit long, here's how I fixed it.

[​IMG]

Had to lengthen the shaft for the e-brake. Used a stainless steel rod from a salvage yard.

17. Tony

Tony

18. Little Terry

Little Terry

Has anyone done this to an early truck i.e. pre '47?

I'm doing a '41 but the pedal assembly and e-brake bolt onto the sides of the stock 4 speed. I'd be interested to see some solutions to this problem.

Mark.

19. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

On first impression, I would suggest you check out the book How to Build a Traditional Ford Hot Rod by Mike Bishop and Vern Tardell. Not only is it a must-own for anybody who’s interested in old cars, but I think it’s got a solution to this problem in the section on the transmission or the section on the controls.

You’re thinking... “But I’m building a Chevy truck, not some Model A Ford.”

But, they faced a similar problem, wanting to mount the Model A parking brake to a ‘39 Ford transmission. They fabricated a bracket to go between some pre-existing bolts on the side of the trans and, voila, instant parking brake mount.

Someone, Almquist perhaps, was selling an adaptor to do the same thing with Model A pedals (also trans mounted) for V8 transmissions. Which isn’t detailed in the book, but at least provides some hope that you can build something similar.

-Dave

20. BenDover

BenDover
    from SGV, CA

Anyone using a T5 in a 53/54 with a SBC up front and a walton fabrication trans mount/cross member? I have a 700R4 and want to add the third pedal... Haven't found much in the search area.

21. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

I have since ditched the 235/t5, in favor of a sbc/4 speed saginaw. same principal as a t5, but you weld the angle iron on the other side of the factory crossmember. much cheaper that way. The 700r4 "should" have the rear mount in almost the exact same place. I'd bet the driveshaft works too.

I used the factory clutch pedal, modified the push arm to correct the angle, factory "large" bellhousing and clutch fork, all off the shelf parts. I'm running a 11" clutch from a 90 chevy truck (10 spline), the old sag fit it perfect. The t5 will make you use an astro or camaro clutch 14 spline or 26 spline, depending on which input shaft you get. I would suggest one from a 4.3 s10/truck if you want it to live, or do the hybrid camaro with s10 tail.

22. is your mc on the firewall? if not that 3rd pedal will be a bitch. build that 700r4.

23. BenDover

BenDover
    from SGV, CA

Its in the stock location right now... I've smoothed out the fire wall and was hoping to leave the MC where it originally is/was

24. sluggo88

sluggo88
    from upland ca

Walton fabrication has a power booster / master cyl. combo on the firewall that uses a hydraulic clutch system, gives you a firewall clutch system with swing pedals inside, works great! takes it all out from under the car.
    Todd

25. sluggo88

sluggo88
    from upland ca

Hello
    here at Walton Fabrication, we have just made our own new T-5 adaptor to fit all 235 engines, this kit we are putting together will come complete with all trans #'s, preasure plate part # year of trans and other important information.
    we are looking at making a trans crossmemmber that will fit the trans and also reinstall your e-brake system.
    I will post all photos coming soon of assembly.
    Kit price should be around $160.0 to $180.00
    Call for information
    909-931-9548

26. sluggo88

sluggo88
    from upland ca

Walton fabrication has the problem solved for the pre 47 trucks, we now have an adaptor bracket that mounts to the T-5 to mount the pedal pivots
    909-931-9548

27. Tony

Tony

I used a Walton rear suspension kit in my 53 Belair and am very happy with it. Everything from ride to ease of the install.
    One thing i'd love to see you guy's come up with is an under floor dual master set up with a manual trans.
    Room is tight as anyone who has one of these know's, and i know i can fab something up myself. But i won't lie, it sure would be cool to be able to just buy a bracket assembly..the time saved on fabbing one could be used elsewhere on the car.

Last i knew there were no kit's for manual cars......maybe something has been developed since the last time i looked though...

Tony

Last edited: Sep 15, 2009
  28. Solidaxel

Solidaxel

Take a look at E C I Brakes, I think you will find what you are looking for and they work!

29. Tony

Tony

Ha! Been a little while since i looked for something like that so i figured i may have just been out of the loop. Thanks for the update, much appreciated..by many i'm sure.

Tony

30. devilleish

devilleish

Similar story here. Looking to do it in a '55 2nd series truck with a 265 and all the factory mounts (2 spindles in front, 2 biscuits on the bellhousing). All I've been able to find are six-cylinder conversions, which seem to be somewhat different. Have found that the '84 Camaro V8 26-spline 10.3" clutch is a suitable replacement for my stock 10" unless I can find a 10-spline input T5.