Register now to get rid of these ads!

TECH: 40 Ford Coupe jump seats

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by crisallt, Mar 19, 2007.

1. crisallt

crisallt

After 17 years of being torn apart and moved from garage to garage, a good friend is helping me to build my 40 coupe. Since the car was taken off the road, my need for seats changed from two to one - then back to two, then to three...

After a bunch of digging at the wreckers - a set of rear jump seats from a Ford Ranger made their way home ($10.00).

To start with, the existing framing and parcel shelf of the business coupe was cut out and a new frame was built using thin wall square tubing. An enclosure for the seat was made using thin wall rectangular tubing.

The seat was mounted using a heavy piece of sqare tubing, and a small bracket was welded onto the seat base to add stability (I’m 250lbs and we played with this till I felt that the seat was sturdy)

Once everything was fit in place – an aluminum box was bent up and installed into the seat enclosure.
    IMG_0097.jpg
    Detail on the base for the seat:
    IMG_0094.jpg
    The finished seat with aluminum upholstery panel installed all around it – note how nice and simple the seat belts work out – their attached to the jump seat frame.
    IMG_0098.jpg
    IMG_0099.jpg
    Here is a picture of one of the lower enclosures being pieced together. I have the good fortune of working with someone who can weld aluminum – this could be achieved with simpler tools I'm sure... Notice the fabricating juice which was necessary to get the job done.
    IMG_0102.jpg
    And last but not least – here is a picture of the car and the flathead. The engine was built 10 years ago for the project - it was started for the first time about two weeks ago – it runs great!!!
    morg+40.jpg
    IMG_0104.jpg

another peice of interesting tech for another day is the cheap Pro-Comp billet distributor on the engine. It is a very nice peice purchased on Flea-Bay, which would NEVER have worked out of the box. It now works great - has a good curve in it - and uses a GM HEI module (mounted on the base of the distributor) to get the job done.

My many thanks to Bert for having the vision...

Tim

2. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Excellent work, you have done a great update on the original style jumpseats which many 39-40 Coupes had. Some call them Opera Coupes but Ford never did.
    Great job!! Seat belts and all!!