Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Teach and win!!!! Halibrand Quickchanges

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Ryan, Dec 12, 2006.

1. 392_hemi

392_hemi

By outdated I mean not a lot of people are building cars with IRS these days. It's reminiscent (sp ?) of the '80s street rods with crate motors, overdrive automatics, IRS/IFS, lots of billet parts, etc.

2. flatheadjunk

flatheadjunk
    Member Emeritus
    from Orange CA

Just a side note------------when Ted moved to El Cajon ( near San Diego ) he produced a few V-8 quickchanges with " San Diego" cast into the center section. Shortly after the business was sold and moved to the midwest.As far as I can research,there were only 3 or 4 made.Although this has been disputed, I have one I am saving for that special project ( after the house is done, paid for my daughters college education, etc. )

3. Lakewood

Lakewood
    from California

need to ask a question. I just bought a car with the Halibrand V8 Quick Change and it seems like when I roll to a stop the rear end makes a noise like a bad pinion bearing. I know it has the straight cut gears, but is that noise normal?
    Thanks,
    Lakewood

4. Weasel

Weasel

Maybe slightly O/T but ....How refreshing to see a thread which is about giving tech info and not about whining, people bashing, asshole opinions or other such counterproductive crap. Surely this is what the H.A.M.B. was meant to be - not the Whine of the Month Club it seems to have become. To have the two very informed SoCal Kevs go at each other in a friendly banter is classic. This is a great thread and deserves a fresh look.

5. Weasel

Weasel

Now to a true Halibrand story: about a dozen years ago - man it seems like yesterday - I was negotiating to buy a real 1932 Ford RPU project truck from Stan Betz, which he had owned since 1972. It was covered in dust, in storage along with other gems from his collection and there was an old axle laying in the pickup bed. I looked at it carefully and realized that not only was it a very early Halibrand Model A Quickchange, but that the QC spur gear section on it was crudely welded to an original Model A center section.

Next time I saw Stan I casually asked if I could have the old axle in the pickup bed as part of the deal with the truck, at which he cracked a huge grin, slapped his peg leg and guffawed, as only Stan can. After he had recovered, he looked at me and said "I think you know exactly what that is, and, unfortunately for you, so do I". This was the original prototype Halibrand Quickchange from late 1946 which was shown in the late 1990s Halibrand catalog and correctly attributed as being owned by Stan.

He subsequently sold it with the ratty old sprint car to which it originally belonged.

cpd682 likes this.
  6. A Boner

A Boner

Regarding "champ" QC rear ends, there are two styles...11 and 12 bolt....the 12 bolt is a Champ, and the 11 bolt is really called a 3/4 ton QC. The 3/4 ton is the earlier of the two, and used, L.H.only, side bells from 38-52 3/4 ton Ford trucks. As the truck bells became harder to find (it took 2 trucks), they changed the design to the 11 bolt, and made aluminum bells.

I have heard that Winters side bell rings to mount V8 axle tubes fit a 12 bolt Halibrand, but have never checked it out for sure.

My modified has a "Diamond Track" that I got from Kurt at "Quick Change Specialties" in Milwaukee.........it works great, and it is very smooth......(414-745-4338).

Last edited: Oct 29, 2018
  7. 35ratbstr

35ratbstr
    from Colorado

8. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

What timing I just picked up a V8 Culver City today.

9. nutrocker

nutrocker

I have an 11 bolt 301 and want to build it up with old ford bells and diff. I understand that there are some adapters that will allow the fitting of standard 10 bolt bells, does anyone sell these or are they hard to find. If I use 3/4 ton bells what diff etc do I use.
    Sorry for all the dumb questions but new to quickchanges and want to learn.

Thanks.... Pete

10. I have a magneisum Culver City Champ Type 301 center section, case only, no end cap, in great condition, plans are to put it in my '39 Ford Deluxe coupe. Not for sale, but would like to know a general value. Thanks in advance, Michael

Last edited: Aug 1, 2010
  11. Ranunculous

Ranunculous

Good Halibrand anything is made from "unobtanium",a composite material quarried from a secret location and covertly transferred to their ultra-secret plant,then processed into hot rod parts.
    Can I have my decals now?

12. 3in1

3in1
    from nevada tx

I see a 301 halibrand on ebay for 250.00 humm.

13. Just wondering, thanks.

14. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

Are the 3/4 ton and one ton rears the same as far as axle housing?

15. 32fivewindow

32fivewindow
    from USA!

What exactly does a DPI need (modification wise) to fit in a Halibrand 301 with frankland bells?

16. I picked this quick change up out of Detroit. I will get pictures of it this weekend. Here are the numbers: 273-1400, 86MAB83, 293-1204. After reading this thread I was hoping to get the numbers figured out, I did learn how to get it street-able. It has the in out box on the side. I am in the process of getting it set up to put under my 49 Chevy Fleetline Aerosedan. The car will have 600 horse at the rear wheels. Any help on the numbers and more odd info. I am glad to be part of a worthy thread.

17. HellsHotRods

HellsHotRods

The PEPE article is the one that most people hand out when they sell you a Halibrand QC. I know that when you buy a Rodsville QC you get the PEPE article.

It's too bad Dave Enmark is not around anymore, he was the MAN when it came to assembling a QC rear end in So Cal.

18. I am not bashing you just letting you know not all IRS/IFS cars are that way. My uncle put Jaguar suspension under his 1935 2 door sedan, and it is not a billet queen, or running a crate engine. He built the car in the sixties and updated the suspension for cross country in the late seventies. My cousin still owns it to this day.

neilswheels likes this.
  19. now back to learning about Halibrands, I have been talking to Hot Rod Works and they are saying using the DPI center is the smarter and easier route.

20. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Great thread, I noticed several mentions of 3/4 ton Ford rears, with one removable housing for use on 11 bolt Champ center sections. For ID purposes this is a stock 39-41 3/4 Ford unit.

Attached Files:

21. WOW! What a handful of information. I know I can't retain all of it....But I do know more now than I did before I started reading all this....Thank's guys this is what the HAMB is all about.

22. ls1yj

ls1yj
    from Kentucky

I've had a 301 from Torrance for a few years, and had been looking for the 3/4 ton truck housings, but had not had much luck... Alas, I came to learn that the Winters bell pattern fits my center section. I picked up the adapters, and the early style housings, and am happy with the fit and finish...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I believe I can put the adapters in the mill, and cut on them carefully, and get a 'finned' effect between the counterbores.

23. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I have a couple of 301's, this one has the Halibrand adapters. Those Winters side plates and early housings are high quality, great looking pieces, and should work out well.

Attached Files:

24. I have been out here in CA for almost 4 years now and I have been told that my Champ with the in and out box is an aluminum one. It has Torrance stamped on the side but I was told also if it had an in and out box that it was magnesium. I have talked to Scot at Blue Collar Customs and he swears mine is aluminum. I don't doubt the guy I am just still lost as to figure out the year and what material my QC is molded from.

25. cheesegrater

cheesegrater
    from california

Ive got a Halibrand center section that has cast into it Halibrand A Product Of National Mfg. Co. any info on that?????

26. Chuck R

Chuck R

Last edited: Apr 2, 2014
  27. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

Halibrand made both aluminum and magnesium 301 cases in Torrance as I have them listed in their catalog. An old mag case should be real dark compared to aluminum. I could tell by looking if you have a photo.

28. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

I did not know that they fit the 11 bolt 301 cases. I have a 12 bolt case which means I still need to find the Halibrand side plates as the truck cases are hard to come by. Here are some copies of the Halibrand adapters made by another mfg I found on ebay. The one set has the ribs you spoke of. (CAE)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 1, 2014
  29. After you posted that and looking at the picture I realized I have an aluminum one. Here is a picture of it just to be sure

Attached Files:

30. How much horsepower can one of these handle if I was to put it in a drag car?