Register now to get rid of these ads!

TCI transmissions?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tylerb, May 22, 2007.

1. tylerb

tylerb

well i prob should have asked questions before i bought it but i got a really good deal ($700) on a TCI Street Fighter tranny. i have heard good things and bad things about these transmissions and just wanted to see what you guys thought about them. its not really gonna get a lot of hell thrown at it but it will go to the strip every once in awhile.
    thanks
    Tyler

2. squirrel

squirrel

might be ok, might not, but if you can't build them yourself and don't want to learn and dont' have any buddies who do it, hey, go for it!

3. Kamp

Kamp
    from Peoria, IL

I've never used one, but sold quite a few of them.... and I don't remember having too many issues with them. Other than the obvious "too small" cooler, "too loose" converter (i.e. 3500 stall, 2.73 gear), or just plain abuse it seems like they hold up relatively well... all in all. Since you already have it, run it. Worst case you burn it up and have to rebuild it.... or rebuild one now.

Kamp

4. Mr.Musico

Mr.Musico
    from SoCal

have had mine (th400) TCI street fighter- in a street/strip car (500 hp) for a couple years now, no problems- be sure to run a good trans cooler if your running a stall converter, your trans will last longer.

5. ProEnfo

ProEnfo
    from Motown

I've been running a TCI S/F (TH350) for 5+ years behind a blown SBC without any issues.... 2180# car / 2500 stall / 3:55 gear
    As others noted, run a good cooler..

CC

6. Well, I've never bought a complete tranny from TCI, but I bought their overhaul kit which included the Transcat valve body kit for my TH350 which my brother rebuilt for me. So far it works great...except that I bought a B&M governor kit as the shift points are too low for my cam and I need to raise the shift points. Other than that, I'm happy:) .

7. tylerb

tylerb

thanks guys i just bought a huge cooler for it today im gonna keep this thing cold

8. Skirv

Skirv
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have a TCI S/F TH350 in one of my cars behind a mild sbc. I am happy with it and have had no negative issues. I would reccomend it.