Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical TCI circle track shifter

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Greasyman, Feb 26, 2018.

1. Greasyman

Greasyman

My 23 T bucket has a 283 with a stock aluminum Powerglide which currently has a sloppy homemade shifter. I've been wondering about this shifter, which is certainly affordable. This is it: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/tci-748011/overview/
    Anyone ever use one? Would something like this work on a street car? Why is it so short? I know nothing about circle track racing, so stuff that might be obvious to some people might be something I'm oblivious to. Thanks for any advice.

2. k9racer

k9racer

Worked good in my circle track cars. You may not like the shift handle . Make sure to put a switch so the engine will only crank in park.

3. MMM1693

MMM1693
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looks to me like it would be perfect for your bucket. I don't know what concerns you have about neutral safety switches . The reason for the short handle is that the cockpit in a circle track car gets small in a hurry and they don't shift when racing.

4. Well its ugly as butt. Just the way I like 'em. :D :D :D

No reason why it won't work on the street. ;) ;) ;) You need to make sure yu got a neutral safety switch. :rolleyes:

Or if you must have competition I got a Hurst Quarter Stick for a Powerslip hangin on the wall. I am not using it and it is way cooler than that shifter. If you catch my drift.

5. slowmotion

slowmotion

Seen guys use these, pretty compact:
    [​IMG]

6. Those are handy as hell and got used a lot. No console required. I thin they come from a mid to late '60s Mustang don't they? I

7. indyjps

indyjps

I didnt look thru all the specs on the shifter, make sure its for 2 speed and reverse etc. Ive seen PG on circle track set up as 2 speeds or just 1.

8. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I see these all the time. There are no electrics with it. CT guys don't care. Most are used with no torque converter. They normally mount to a ledge built next to the right side of the drivers seat to be reached ez.

9. slowmotion

slowmotion

I believe so Beaner. They were the 'go to' shifter if you were running an auto in a tight quarter interior (bucket etc) before the aftermarket caught on to the opportunity to cash in.