Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects TBIRD and Country Squire same steering

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by AldeanFan, Nov 19, 2021.

1. AldeanFan

AldeanFan

Are power steering parts the same between my ‘54 Country Squire and a ‘55 Tbird?

I need a cylinder rebuild kit and I can’t find one for a Ford car but Tbird parts are easier to find.

thanks!

2. Rocket Scientist Chris

Rocket Scientist Chris
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I checked my parts books and found there were two different cylinders used in ‘54-‘55. The difference is in the seal OD and ID. Of course with interchangeability of the ‘53-‘56 cylinders, you need to measure the rod OD and case ID to be sure of what you need. Cylinders were easily swapped when they started to leak. Worst case, you may be able to find a seal at McMaster.com.
    On a side note, I bought a replacement cylinder from NPD for my ‘55 Mercury. My cylinder’s rod is just too rough to reseal reliably. :(

loudbang likes this.
  3. jaracer

jaracer

You might try Mustang. My 57 needed the control valve resealed. I got a kit for a mid 70's Mustang and it's been in there for over 20 years.

4. AldeanFan

AldeanFan

Thanks guys,
    Sofar I haven’t found a seal kit that says it will fit ‘54, but of course I have no way of knowing if the ram is original to the car.

lots of internet sleuthing has not turned up any measurements for seals so it might me trial and error, which gets expensive when you ship anything to Canada

camer2 likes this.

5. Rocket Scientist Chris

Rocket Scientist Chris
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you can, send me your cylinder’s rod diameter. My parts books have some seal dimensions. I may be able to figure out what you have. :)

jimmy six likes this.
  6. AldeanFan

AldeanFan

thanks!
    The shaft measures at .625 or 5/8” if my math is correct

7. Rocket Scientist Chris

Rocket Scientist Chris
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The parts numbers are a little confusing because the cylinder changed mid year, ‘54. So, it comes out ‘53- early ‘54 have 9/16” dia cylinder rods. Late ‘54 - ‘56 have 5/8” dia cylinder rods. Therefore, you should be OK with a readily available ‘55-‘56 Thunderbird cylinder kit! :)

loudbang and Black Panther like this.
  8. AldeanFan

AldeanFan

Thanks so much!
    This is what makes the HAMB so great!

loudbang likes this.