Register now to get rid of these ads!

TBI sbc to Carb, HEI voltage question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wallster, Sep 6, 2013.

1. wallster

wallster
    from Buffalo NY

If the answer to this question is on here somewhere, I apologize for wasting everyone's time but I've been looking through threads for a few hours and can't find the answer. I'm using a low mileage '90 sbc in my new project and I'm looking for reliability, not high performance. I bought an edelbrock 2104 intake (so it will bolt onto the center holes of the heads without trimming or bullshitting with another intake), I also found a used Edelbrock 1406 carburetor to match (600 cfm, electric choke). This leaves me with spark. I have an HEI distributor with a 65K coil that's brand new just sitting on the shelf I'd like to use but I don't know (and can't find online anywhere) what a naturally aspirated sbc HEI coil puts out from the coil.
    Will this distributor work okay and what else did I miss? I'm also using a TH350 (found one without a cracked bell housing... previous post subject) and I'm going to use the convertor that came with it and a flex plate from a mid '70's sbc that I also have on the shelf. I'll count the teeth from the '90 but that engine came with a top loader trans so that flexplate won't work.
    Input please... Thanks

Wally

2. I can't tell what you are asking, can you pull your question out of there ?

3. wallster

wallster
    from Buffalo NY

Sorry... will an HEI distributor that uses a 65,000 volt coil work properly on this engine or does it need more or less voltage?

Thanks,

Wally

4. It will be fine if you don't want to turn the Rs up into the Oh WoW range. 65K is plenty for driving around on.

As for the year of your flexplate etc, that info is not necessary for the question at hand. But I don't doubt that you will need that info if you discover that you don't have a starter for it at a later date.

Oh you may find that the HEI doesn't work, it depends if it is that odd ball that came from the one or two years that GM used the eletricically controlled/regulated carby. But I would jus stuff it in there and if it doesn't work properly get a different one. HEIs are a dime a dozen (well not literaly).

5. wallster

wallster
    from Buffalo NY

Thanks.

6. the flexplate from a mid 70s SBC will not bolt to your 1990 engine

7. hoop98

hoop98
    from Texas

Those ratings, 65,000 or 40,000 (Stock HEI) are for selling coils. You will never see a demand for voltage in excess of 25,000 volts. The GM HEI Tester is calibrated for 25,000 Volts to test the system.

[​IMG]

The only Voltage match you need to worry about is supplying Battery Voltage through a 10 Gauge wire to the BAT terminal on the HEI.

8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If it has the vacuum advance on it it will work fine. The ones with electronic timing control that were mentioned before didn't have the vacuum advance on them.

Normal HEI voltage is around 45K and there are a number with higher voltage. No problems with the one rated at 65 K which may be a bit optimistic anyhow. Your engine should have a one piece rear seal and that is what you need the flexplate to fit the flange on the crankshaft on.

9. There you go, these guys got you covered

10. wallster

wallster
    from Buffalo NY

Sure do.. thanks to everyone. The distributor does have a vacuum advance and I'll have to look into the flexplate situation once I take the engine off the stand. Thanks again.

Wall

11. if you are using a straight across/153 tooth starter for a 12-3/4" flexplate take a look at Napa # 6005061. it's the same as Pioneer FRA160

i do not have a part number for a 14" 168 tooth staggered starter flexplate....but i'm sure there is one

12. wallster

wallster
    from Buffalo NY

I believe it's a 168 tooth starter (larger flexplate). I forgot that I read a while ago that the sbc engines (after '86 I think) used flexplates with weights attached to them. I need to find one that will accomodate my TH350 torque converter (I 've seen them pre-drilled for Th400's and 700R4's so I should be okay).

Wall