Register now to get rid of these ads!

Tattersfield History

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by canuck-2, Apr 7, 2008.

1. canuck-2

canuck-2

I'm looking for the history on the Tattersfield products. I know they where a short lived company closed in 1952 and built some great speed equipment. My own personal interest is my 216 2x Tattersfield intake. Did the company produce a catalog of there products? I have done a search on HAMB and have seen some intakes No other equipment or speed ad’s Where they big in racing? Win anything?
    Thanks
    Canuck-2

2. the-rodster

the-rodster

Send an email to Baron Racing Equipment.

Their address is [email protected]

I sent them an email last year asking about the Thickstun PM7, and they sent me copies of the original sales brocures, installation guide, history, etc.

Extremely nice folks.

Rich

3. xderelict

xderelict
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This is Les Suiter driving in Oakley Kansas,you can see a Tattersfield intake on the car he is racing.I don't have particular info on Tattersfield but find stovebolt intakes in general interesting.

4. banjorear

banjorear

Their was a pretty good story on this in a past issue of the Rodder's Journal. I'll find waht issue it was. Starts with the Thickston story in the issue before and then goes into the Tattersfield story since there is a connection.

Here is some of the history from what I can recall from reading the article many moons ago. The Tattersfield's (father and son) were in with Tommy Thickston and Frank Baron. I believe Baron was a mechanic for Tattersfield's father shop.

After Thickston past away, Baron and Tattersfield got the casting boxes and tweaked the center portion of the Thickston PM-7 to say Tattersfield other information to make it different enough from a Thickston version.

Tattersfield also ran a beautiful belly tank that was, of course, hammertone blue as well.

They made a oil bath air cleaner for their hi-rise that is as rare as hen's teeth today. Also, they carried on Thickston's plans for a supercharger.

Also, little know fact, all Thickston eqiupment was painted red from the factory and the Tattersfield was hammertone blue.

5. canuck-2

canuck-2

This is great! What a start. Hammer tone blue you say, how interesting is that. I will for sure post what ever I find
    Thanks
    Canuck-2

6. Thickstun story TRJ No.8

Tattersfield-Baron story TRJ No.11

7. DanGrippo

DanGrippo
    from Mohnton PA

Here is an example of the air cleaner mentioned above. -Dan Grippo
    Posies07_0002.JPG

Posies07_0003.JPG

8. Flop

Flop

here one on my 216 chev

gettin taken off soon for a sharp to match my valve cover and side cover

[​IMG]

9. canuck-2

canuck-2

Dan
    That is so cool
    and Flop when you are ready to chuck that intake let me know
    Canuck-2

10. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

I've got a Tattersfield dual for early Chevy as well, and always wondered if that upper intake passage between the carbs actually did anything other than look weird.

11. moose

moose

Here is mine on my Plymouth flat 6, a long time ago...

Please notice the quality repair on the upper radiator hose.

12. moose

moose

Hey where did my picture go?

13. moose

moose

third try?

Attached Files:

hihunglo likes this.
  14. canuck-2

canuck-2

Duct Tape one mans tool kit

15. dtatt

dtatt
    BANNED
    from Taiwan

I'm Bob Tattersfield's grandson but I dont really know much about the company, try my dad, Dick Tattersfield, email is leannedick at gmail dot com I'm sure he'd be happy send an email back with a few details--Dan Tattersfield

16. Bodacious

Bodacious

Any updates on this? Very interested in knowing more too since I recently acquired a Tattersfield intake for a 230 Plymouth engine that I'm building to go in a Model A.

17. =StreamlineDeco=

=StreamlineDeco=

Bodacious,
    Would you post some pictures of your intake and motor? I too am building a 230 plymouth 6 and was curious which Intake you had.

If they went out of business in '52 who continued making speed parts after that with their name??

18. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

I dont have any History on these TattersField parts, But i did see where it was said they were Hammer Tone Blue.

I have a 2x1 for a Chrysler/DeSoto Flathead 6 and it shows signs of more like a hammer tone Green on it.

I got mine off a Rock Stock 1942 Chrysler 4dr Sedan, Guy wouldnt sell me just the manifold so I had to get the whole car.

He traded me the Intake for a set of Rams Horn Chevy exhaust manifolds for the 2x1 intake & The Chrysler car was traded for a rusty '51 Chevy coupe body.

19. J. Fitzhugh

J. Fitzhugh

Guys,

It might take me a couple of days, but Ryan and I had agreed I would post a number of added bits of information from prior stories in TRJ. I wrote both the Thickstun and Tattersfield-Baron stories and have an extensive collection of photos and paperwork that did not make the story cut.

While you are right, it was short lived, it was fully funded when it was active. Again, give me a couple days, but by late tonight I will give you some teases!

Jay

20. J. Fitzhugh

J. Fitzhugh

As promised this morning, here are a couple of brochure shots. I have a LOT MORE. This includes one of the Tattersfield-Baron Racing inserts. If you look in the background of the vintage photo, you will see the Tattersfield-Baron belly tank, next to the huge Tattersfield Engineering shop truck, as per the story in TRJ.

Look for more over the next few days.

Jay

Attached Files:

hihunglo likes this.
  21. =StreamlineDeco=

=StreamlineDeco=

Love the ads! Can't wait for more. Hope to see some for the old mopars!

22. J. Fitzhugh

J. Fitzhugh

OK, some more stuff. Here are the two inside pages to the blue Tattersfield booklet, along with a Mopar ad, and the two page, tri-fold air cleaner brochure! Next up is the belly tank construction photos on Sunday.

Jay

Attached Files:

hihunglo likes this.
  23. =StreamlineDeco=

=StreamlineDeco=

Those mopar heads seem as rare and swell looking as the thickstun manifolds! Keep 'em coming, J. Fitzhugh! Thanks!

24. Southfork

Southfork

This would imply that the predecessor Thickstun flathead PM-7 Hi Rise intake manifolds were only made pre-war and perhaps during WWII. Anybody know for sure when the PM-7 Thickstun went out of production? Were any made after the war still carrying the "Thickstun" name? or was post-war production all "Tattersfield?" ( I am aware of the recent production by Baron).

25. J. Fitzhugh

J. Fitzhugh

Tom Thickstun died in June 1946. Up until his death, the PM-7 (which stands for 7th pattern made, per his early partner Jack Radkey) was sold at Tattersfield's shop. I have pictures of the shop with the Thickstun logo in the window. Sometime after Thickstun's death, as best I can tell 1947, the manifolds and heads are renamed and improved.

Hope that helps,

Jay

26. Jay, I am glad to see you on this board. My father speaks highly of of you.(Terry Seaholm). This is very interesting stuff. I wish you would look into Gotha Speed Equipment. I have some stuff and would love it if you would do an article for Rodders Journal in the future. Dale

27. J. Fitzhugh

J. Fitzhugh

Dale,

I appreciate your note. I have great respect for your dad, and over the years have counted him as both a friend as well as a contributor in helping uncover hot rod history. The only thing that immediately comes to mind with Gotha are cable activated exhaust cut-outs. Am I on the right track?

Jay

28. J. Fitzhugh

J. Fitzhugh

Still working through the Tattersfield catalogs. Here are the Chevy and Mopar handouts!

Still going!

Jay

Attached Files:

29. They did make cutouts and sold the rights to JC whitney.They made a few other products as well. If your interested in pursuing something let me know. This is an interesting read. Love your knowledge.

30. cuznbrucie

cuznbrucie

Bob Morton, who drove the Tat-Baron belly tank at Bonneville lives in La Jolla and has a Pioneer spot on the AHRF web site........used to be a friend of mine......

http://www.ahraf.com/index.php Go to Pioneers and you'll see Morton and a lot of his lakes pics......

CB