Register now to get rid of these ads!

Tatra 603 Hemi V8

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scootermcrad, Jun 15, 2010.

1. tatra

tatra
    from the peg

liked em so much i adopted the name for my nic...............used as the james bond bad guy car by the kgb............i believe it also at one time was the world's fastest production car.............

2. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ah ha! So! Since you're handle shows your love and dedication you know everything about them, right?? ;):D

3. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Cool looking, but probably not very peppy

<TABLE class="spec_line spec_line_top" border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 jQuery1276645463292="112"><TBODY jQuery1276645463292="114"><TR class=basic_specs><TD class=label>Engine</TD><TD class=label_value>V 8 </TD></TR><TR class=basic_specs jQuery1276645463292="119"><TD class=label>Displacement</TD><TD class=label_value jQuery1276645463292="120">155 cu in</TD></TR><TR class=basic_specs jQuery1276645463292="117"><TD class=label>Maximum power</TD><TD class=label_value jQuery1276645463292="118">101 hp
    @ 4800 rpm</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

4. 50Fraud

50Fraud

I really don't know anything about the engines except that they were air cooled V8's. If you google Tatra there is a ton of stuff out there; you may be able to learn details of the engine design.

5. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

Czechs and balances? Good thing I have a strong bladder and wasn't drinking anything at the time.

that's hilarious....and went unnoticed and uncommented upon

dj

6. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

Would be great in a little Porsche speedster or a VW.

7. tatra

tatra
    from the peg

scootermcrad, actually not a guru on them but neede a name and all the good ones were taken..........have spent some time researching them and appreciate them........course i liked wankels and napier deltic engines too..........just a little eccentric in my tastes.....................wth is the red ink all about?............

8. Didn't Tatra and Ferdie Porsche have legal battles over things like design and patent infringement???

9. SanctaRosa

SanctaRosa

[​IMG]

10. tatra

tatra
    from the peg

Last edited: Jun 15, 2010
  11. ronk16

ronk16

it`s a helicopter motor like the Tucker had in back of them.

12. Welcome aboard Sister. It is comforting to know you're here with us. May God watch over you and bring you strength and comfort. Love your Smiley !!

13. oldebob

oldebob
    from Spokane WA

There was one in a wrecking yard in Moses Lake WA back in the early '60's. Cool thing about that one was it had a 59AB in the back.

14. LIL.TIMMYUser Name

LIL.TIMMYUser Name

Groan!:rolleyes: thats just awful

15. dakota tom

dakota tom
    from dakotas

My brother has a 603. Went from the Soviet Union to England, then Canada, now in South Dakota.

I think it looks like a big catfish.

The engine is a true hemi.

Search youtube for "tatra happy journey" for a two part promotional film for Tatras.

16. Actually, it's a design specifically developed for the 603, and is a hemi. Tatra was a very innovative company from it's early days - in fact it's the second oldest motor vehicle manufacturer after Daimler-Benz.

Ledwinka and Porsche were classmates and the regularly cribbed designs off each other.

The company still manufactures trucks and there's a fantastic museum adjacent to the factory in the Czech Republic. Definitely worth a visit. :cool:

17. The_General

The_General

Wow already alot of information..

But that still not leads to the question, can you turn the motor around and put it in front?

18. George

George

Not bad considering the Dodge 241 was listed @ 140 HP!

19. fullhouse296

fullhouse296
    from Australia

T heres an early Tatraplane at Len Southwards museum in New Zealand . It has the air cooled Hemi and canvas deckchair type front seats ! Go figure ! I spoke to an elderly chap , while there . He was from South Africa ,and said they used to race them in the mid fifties over there , but the heat was the killer .Said that the clapped out ones went the distance . W E I R D !

20. ornocar

ornocar
    from czech rep.

hello all!! I'm suprised that this thread came up on HAMB .

I'm from Czech rep. so I'm kinda familiar with TATRAs,long history behind the company , nowadays only producing heavy trucks... Pre WWII tatras were one of first streamlined cars in europe,capable more than 100MPH with those tiny V8 engines,very advanced in their time.. We dont get to see many US cars here so tatra is as close as it gets to experience the great sound of V8 (they have specific sound to them because of the belt driven cooling fans) ... some czech ''rodders'' cut them up and use entire rear suspension,trannys and engines in SKODA cars:eek: because of the same layout .. like this ''monster'' http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UQ1GA3qJdA ...

p.s. sorry I will do intro later , I'm at work now :D:D:D

21. The_General

The_General

Last edited: Jun 16, 2010
  22. It has hemispherical combustion chambers - so, yes, it's a true hemi.

23. oldiron73

oldiron73
    from WISCONSIN

I like it, that's a cool looking motor.
    How much power does the four cam motor put out.

24. Actually, Peugeot is the 2nd, Tatra is the 3rd I belive.

I love the look of that engine! I especially like the two cooling turbines at the bottom of the engine. I've always liked Tatras, their one of those companies that were just too odd to be successful though. :(

I'd love to have one of those engines in Toppolino, just the right size and designed to not have a radiator at the front :D.

Thanks

Hayden

25. Not loads - about 250hp I think.

Google Ecorra and MTX V8 - someone was racing one with twin turbos that made 400hp IIRC.

26. Tatras are way cool. Was one up for sale in an auction here in sweden last weekend.

Here u can see it in the background. (dont know if this is a hemi V8 model tough)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

27. Heo

Heo

They tried to sell them in sweden in the 50s but
    thanks to the poor quality they were no sucess

28. Just trying to spread a bit of (in)continental humor!

29. Well, according to this article Tatra is no longer a czech company, but an american company! Blue River, owned by a Ronald Adams from Fort Worth, TX owns 81% of the stocks in Tatra.

So that hemi is good ole american iron... well aluminum... sort of...