Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical tatom crankshaft seal for flathead

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by rodderbilly, Feb 5, 2014.

1. Hi all hamber....some of you have put one of this crank seals on the flathead v8?really this solve the leak problems?..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. choppedtudor

choppedtudor

thats the ticket...just follow the directions very carefully. sleeve must be a press fit. last one I did, I 'set' it in place with some green loctite.

3. other experience?

4. 29AVEE8

29AVEE8

Do they seal????

5. waiting please someone that put one of this in is flathead.....that seal is the ticket?

6. Andy

Andy

I cut my rope seal a bit long and cut the pan gaskets so they just butted up to the rope seal sides. I have had no leaks. I suspect the leaks are from oil getting around the ends of the pan gastets under the seal ends. I had the Best gasket version of lip seal but desided to go back to the rope. I can get the front cover off without pulling the pan using the rope seal. I needed to get the cover off to turn the cam to set the valves.

7. ronnieroadster

ronnieroadster

Like Andy explained if you take the time to trim the pan gasket around the rope seal you will NOT experience any leaks. I know this from experience having built many flatheads and continue to do so.
    A big problem with the one piece seal Rodderbilly is the oil pan grove is not round so the aluminum mount needs to be sealed correctly in the pan with sealer around the outer surface plus your hoping the seal centers itself when you put the pan on and the front cover. The pan grove which is only stamped metal and front cover grove were not designed for such a thing the lack of a round hole causes a little problem and leak potential.

8. Ok...i try to do a good job when i put the gasket on the pan..thanks all!

9. ronnieroadster

ronnieroadster

Rodderbilly I sent you a PM with some more helpfull information.