Register now to get rid of these ads!

Tar In Trunk Area???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Comet_keeper, Mar 4, 2005.

1. Can anybody give me some insight on how to remove tar from inside the trunk area. I picked up this Comet and somebody coated the inside of qtr. panel with Tar. They covered the studs to chrome witch I need to remove to get it ready for paint. In some spots it is about an 1 1/2" thick. Thanks for any ideas that you may have.

2. DrJ

DrJ

1 1/2" thick?
    I think you best be looking for a new 1/4 panel to replace that newspaper, bondo and screen door screen one that's on the car now.

heat it up with a heat gun (industrial hair drier?) and scrape it off.

3. If you're careful, you can heat the outside of the panel and scrape it off from the inside, but be CAREFUL and heat the area evenly and just enought to free up the tar. You don't want to warp your panel. I have also used a propane torch instead of a heat gun.

4. Thanks for the ideas. I wanted to replace the qtr. but nobody offers one for this year ( '65 ). They go up to '64, then '66 and newer. So I have to try to save this one. Thanks again.

5. Model A Vette

Model A Vette

If you don't want to use heat - turpentine will work but is messy!

6. danzee

danzee
    from ERIE,PA.

Gas works too, but with the price of it now, turpentine might be a little cheaper. Fumes either way,just be careful! DANZEE

7. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

Anyway mentioned above is going to be messy, I would be more inclined to use a solvent though. You would'nt want to send your car up in flames and the smoke would be hazardous.