Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Tapatalk & The H.A.M.B. App

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, May 28, 2021.

1. 37slantback

37slantback
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As a recently retired software engineer I detest most apps because many times the user interfaces do not seem well thought out. To quote Chris Rock, I can drive my car with my feet but it doesn't mean its to be done. I use Chrome for everything.

210superair, jnaki and Tman like this.
  2. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

Just out of curiosity, I have searched HAMB/ Jalopy Journal on my Android small tablet. It used Google Chrome web search and the website popped up instantly, with nothing about tapatalk or other particulars.

It looks like the regular HAMB website, but only smaller and tiny. It is not faster than my powerful laptop or custom home computer when I wanted to change pages, search or do other things on the web. Plus, the forum is so small that I had to pinch the screen to get it to reading size like the laptop or home computer.

So, I don't see myself, ever using my smaller Android phone screen, even though it has a better megapixel screen for anything but phone calls, texts or emergency photos.

Jnaki

As our devices are getting smarter with each new version, something has to work better without any company taking over the information. If the apps are verified and don't ask for the moon and your private information, then your computer should work fine.

The small screen does look clearer, but it definitely needs larger print or constantly turning it sideways to read a complete sentence on a forum reply. Something has to be favored in the larger screen for a full size forum or photographs, without having to use the pinch feature or turning the device sideways.

3. I am 51 and use both Android and Apple daily. I access the HAMB on an old desktop in the shop, my laptop at the office and my Android to post photos to threads. THE APP KINDA SUCKED. Now, being able to browse the same format across the board makes it simple and cohesive.

Let's face it, folks are creatures of habit and lazy to change. Go back 20 years ago and we shot pics with either a cheesy or a very expensive digital camera. Picture quality on threads was all over the board. Then, we had to go home, or if you were really advanced to some wifi hotspot at the hotel and download the pics. Then, many times we had to edit and resize. Only then could you post them to the board only to find that you need to resize and shrink them down even more. DOH!@>! Smartphones can do all of this in seconds, hell even my 74 year old mom has one and can run it!

4. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Yep, it was a sad day here when I had to trash the old Bell Western rotary phone that had been in this house since Elvis was a pup.

Sky Six likes this.
  5. At least with my phone I can tip it sideways and the pages read bigger. I know there are other settings. I am going to mess around on the tablet we keep in the living room. Wife got it for free before we met and never uses it. I use it in the evenings when we have settled into the TV and are researching hot rod and house remodel stuff...........who am I kidding, I just show her goofy memes off the internet!

jnaki likes this.
  6. ken bogren

ken bogren

On my phone that was default setting, but on my wifes phone we had to go into settings and activate it.

7. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

So in preparation for this, I worked on our attachment engine. As it stands, you can now upload images twice the size as the app allowed. I believe the limit is 17000kb now.

Also, try the site on your browser... Uploading images is just as easy (even easier on iOS) as it was on the app.

8. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've tried uploading from the browser on the phone... with the 'smallest' image selected for the camera. Still get the error message that the file size is too big.
    Yes I do get that message a whole lot faster than on my PC
    I know you are a smart boss and this will all come to pass
    Thanks

Last edited: May 31, 2021
  9. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Went back and looked at the photo properties on the saved ones in the phone gallery
    The ones I looked at were between 5.5 and 6.5 MB

10. squirrel

squirrel

those are big image files. Phone camera apps are all over the place on file size...mine, set to medium, gives files a bit over 1mb.

winduptoy and lothiandon1940 like this.
  11. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Keep in mind, we also compress the image when you upload... If your phone is still giving that error, it's probably gonna be a setting on your phone rather than the site. I am able to upload a stock jpg from an iPhone 12 Pro Max with zero issues as it stands... And I think that is probably the biggest phone image file on the market right now.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  12. ken bogren

ken bogren

See if there's an "email" setting for photos on your phone.

13. goldmountain

goldmountain

For the past day or so, I have been having trouble accessing the hamb on my Samsung Galaxy tablet. It stays where it has been for days now and just keeps loading. No problems getting it on the computer however. Does this have anything to do with what you are discussing here?

14. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

no sir. Clear your cache and restart your phone. Problem fixed.

15. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I have what used to be a smart phone, I turned it off 3 years ago. It still goes on the internet when I am on wifi. The only phone I have is a landline. One of the smartest things I have ever done is to kill the cellphone....

Last edited: May 31, 2021
  16. I am just the oppo. Cell only. Our landline is a dedicated fiber optic deal now for all the streaming we do in the house and shop. I gotta be the luckiest man on the planet to have moved to the sticks and came up with a connection this good!

17. 18tillidie

18tillidie

Thanks for taking a stand!
    The only reason I use it is that it puts the half dozen forums I frequent in one place.
    I’m now going to create half dozen separate links and delete the app!

18. Joe.327

Joe.327

Me too. The app was really handy.

31Apickup and Jim Bouchard like this.
  19. i like cars & stuff

i like cars & stuff
    from Aotearoa

I wondered why the app wasn't working anymore...

20. goldmountain

goldmountain

I have cleared up everything but it still isn't working. It is not a phone but a tablet. How do I restart?

21. goldmountain

goldmountain

Been trying different things since the last post. Can't get the hamb on the old app or Google Chrome. Tried Firefox, and that works.

22. Firefox is a better browser anyway

loudbang and 5window like this.
  23. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well, I actually liked the app, never really had any complaints, but might be due to the fact I was running it on a 6 year old iPhone. Anyway @Ryan I appreciate you being straight with the reasons why, and am happy to ditch the app now! The ethical way you treat your forum members is one of the many reasons this is the only forum of any kind I frequent.

warbird1 and Jim Bouchard like this.
  24. justachevyguy

justachevyguy
    from Miami, Ok.

I for one loved the app. It kept me off of FB.

I appreciate the fact that you are looking out for our privacy.

THANK YOU FOR EVERY THING YOU'VE DOING FOR THE RODDING COMMUNITY.

Jim Bouchard and Hamtown Al like this.
  25. Jacksmith

Jacksmith
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Aridzona

Thanks for having our back... you're a class act!

TrailerTrashToo likes this.
  26. 61Cruiser

61Cruiser

I used the App and was pissed when I couldn’t access the H.A.M.B. as I was not aware that the app was being shut down. I guess I missed Ryan’s post. Never mind, I have got myself sorted out and now go directly to the web site. Had just a mild panic attack but everything is fine now.

27. So much easier reading the actual site on mobile devices! Been messing around all week with it on my phone. Love it.

28. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I hate this.

I always try to give fair warning when shit like this goes down, but this was sort of an emergency situation. I apologize man... I wish I could have given more of a warning... trust me.

29. dave lewis

dave lewis
    from Nampa ID

Thank you for standing up for us !

I just got your email reply..thank you !

I deleted both apps G j and HAMB..
    Works great on the phone now.
    My only problem was remembering my dang passwords....
    It's all good now..

Dave