Register now to get rid of these ads!

Tanks in mercury tank fitting

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Winky8, Oct 18, 2009.

1. Hi all

Just tried to fit a tanks inc tank into my 51 lincoln but the fuel line fittings and tank fixings nuts are not the same as original has any one else come across this

2. 48thames

48thames
    from so cal

I don't know the answer,but I am going to order a tank from the same company for my 49 MONARCH,so I hope there is someone that knows.

3. I am going to give them a call tomorrow to find out

4. 48thames

48thames
    from so cal

I did some reading and it seem's that if your oem tank is like mine and the fitting is near the bottom, the new tank will should have the fitting comming out at the top [and I am guessing here]. Reason is because of fed laws,I would assume that they don't want any tanks that gravity feed and would drain the tank if a line broke. That's what I am thinking. As far as the other part about not bolting up, I don't know.

5. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

you have to get a pipe to inverted flare fitting. 1/4" pipe to 5/16 inverted i think it is. and as far as the mounting, sometimes i think their jig gets out of tolerance and the caged nuts end up in the wrong spot. had one bolt right up and the other needed some tweaking.

6. 1950merc

1950merc
    from Butler, PA

I did a Tanks Inc. tank in my 50 Merc this summer. The Tanks Inc. uses a 3/8" NPT thread. You need to get an adaptor for 5/16" to 3/8" NPT. I also tapped the threads in the tank. The threads seems a little boogered and I didn't want to force it. I also had to drill a new pattern in my new sender, enlarge the mounting holes in my cross member, and trim the lip of the filler hose hole in my trunk, to get everything to fit.

7. Hi thanks all i did some digging around and sought of thought i had the answer this confirms it. Thanks for posting and letting me know at least i know what parts i need to get now. On the mounting holes i will be elongating the existing ones.