Register now to get rid of these ads!

taller rear wheel tubs for a bagged 53-54 chevy?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sixpack_2_go, Mar 6, 2011.

1. sixpack_2_go

sixpack_2_go

I was wondering what most guys run for rear wheel tubs on bagged 53-54 chevy cars? I Need to do something about mine because my 205/75/15 tires are going to rub. Any good fitting tubs on the market or will I have to make from scratch? What did you other guys do on yours?

2. 6 Pac,This sounds crazy but I went to Tractor supply and got a couple Trailer fenders and made my own.Mine rubbed bad if I had more that a half tank of gas....

3. davidbistolas

davidbistolas

^^^ now that's a good idea!

4. sixpack_2_go

sixpack_2_go

I think I might try that. My friend and I were wondering about those. They look very nicely made I just wasn't sure if they would be tall enough and wide enough. Thanks man, I'll check them out after work today.

5. sixpack_2_go

sixpack_2_go

I find it hard to believe that there's only one other guy with a bagged 54...this forum is pretty useless anways...people just use it to insult other peoples cars and grammar. Ill just make my own. Thanks for those who do use this site for info on cars

6. 52RustRocket

52RustRocket

Before a fiend of mine sold his '54 we were going to cut the top off, raise it up and weld in a filler strip.

7. Chris 50

Chris 50

Whoa dude. I was going to suggest you try a rear fender blank like they use on the back of wide tire choppers. Split it down the middle and cut it to the desired profile. It's like a mini-tub with a nice radiused corner.
    By the way, "I'll" needs an apostrophe.

8. RDR

RDR

That's what I did on the 52....cut the inner fender well raised it and welded in the filler panels

9. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

Did your sister turn you down last night?

10. Racrdad

Racrdad

I have found this forum quite useful myself.
    AND
    I am starting to believe sixpack 2 go's sig that he uses.......

11. sixpack_2_go

sixpack_2_go

Thanks for the ideas guys. I will check jp cycles for the fender blanks.

12. AntiBling

AntiBling

Not crazy at all, lots of people do it, it's a prefabbed wheel well, so why's that crazy?

13. How did it go? One thing I've learned about forums is "Everybody" will offer up an opinion when asked a question. Or they will comment anyway.Consider the source and move on.Take out the trash when nessessary.Remember; weld once,grind twice,bondo 3 times,sand forever,and then use a rattle can flat black.LOL.

14. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Who lit your tampon, Nancy?

15. outcast13

outcast13

Trailer fenders work great and are the perfect radius for taller tires. Farm Outlets sell them for around 20 bux each.

16. sixpack_2_go

sixpack_2_go

the reason i made that statement is because i had just finshed reading three different threads where people asked very good questions and were answered with a dogpile of childish remarks. i am a member of two different forums and it gets old listening to people do that.

these are the kind of childish remarks that ruin forums. if you do not have something informative pertaining to the subject, please move on to the next thread. thanks to those who gave helpful info.

17. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

says the n00b who decided the hamb is useless. you are the one who can't figure out how to add a strip of sheet metal to a wheelwell, not me.

18. clinthull

clinthull

Ive used trailer fenders on a few rides ive done and they work great, you can order them custom with fender backs from www.fendersnmore.com they make them in custom widths.
    Or... you could channel that thing 3 inches and move the wheel wells up with the floor, im running 670 15 and it lays the rockers.
    Good luck. sounds like a fun project.

19. newsomtravis

newsomtravis
    from pville, ca

trailer fenders, we sell am at my work for like 15 20 bucks a piece, a tube from a major air bag place around, 150 plus, kind of easy answer, as a matter of fact we have a couple of mini truck/ airbag shops around that only buy from us now, we either modify trailer fenders or roll up some new ones from scratch.......came make 4 fenders out of a 16 gauge sheet at about 85 bucks, and we`ll roll it for 20 or if your a good customer free......

20. sixpack_2_go

sixpack_2_go

Thanks for the website. I will check it out. I would love to channel the car but I already sectioned the body and I'm going to chop the top this weekend so the headroom is kinda limited to say the least ha ha. P.s. I checked out the pics of your car a few months ago and that thing is a work of art! Very clean and excellent craftsmanship!

21. hey six pac 2 go if you can post some pics. i'm lowering my 54 chevy but thats next on my list is to cut the wheel wells and i've heard that to that trailer fenders are the cheapest way to go. good luck man

22. Remember:Get plenty of sawzall blades for the chop.Measure twice,cut once and right before you cut check again....save all the peices in case you change your mind. PM me and i'll come help.I'm ony 10 miles from ya.

23. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

If you've got the skill to chop a roof, then you've got the skill to MAKE new wheel wells. I suggest you make the wheel wells first, if you screw those up, nobody can see them. If you screw up the top, everybody will see it.

24. trailer fenders are the way to go, my dad owns a trailer dealership
    so I picked some up from him when I planned on doing a bagged '54 Chevy..now looks like they'll go in my bagged '54 Ford instead