Register now to get rid of these ads!

Tall Air Cleaners... What do you use?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by FrameDragger, Jun 16, 2004.

1. FrameDragger

FrameDragger

I am looking to reduce the "dead space" between the engine and the hood top line... Anyone using anything "traditional" that takes up some real estate?

Attached Files:

2. Flexicoker

Flexicoker

Like this? [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sorry, couldn't resist

3. FrameDragger

FrameDragger

Hmm... Traditional Garbage Cans... Maybe I need to start hitting the garage sales... [​IMG]

4. Flexicoker

Flexicoker

Some velocity stacks would look cool, but not much to offer in terms of air cleaning. you could do and old school scoop with the aircleaners inside.

5. Stock oil-bath aircleaner takes up some real estate for sure. I've seen some striped-up that look pretty cool.

6. [​IMG]

Jesus!!

Now that is stacked...is that like the "flux-capcitor"???

7. Slick mo fo

Slick mo fo
    from San Diego

[ QUOTE ]
    Like this? [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sorry, couldn't resist

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure what's more ridiculous, the whole intake set up, or the blonde with the pink sweater and wedgie. (wonder if she knows?)

8. slammed

slammed

!" carb spacer w/thick gaskets, old time Hilborn blower scoop w/air filter inside. Vel.stack may work as well.The look changes almost Street machine like.

9. Paul

Paul
    Editor

Attached Files:

10. bigron

bigron

how about running double airfilters stacked on top of one another. just have to put a longer stub in the carb. thread all will work.

11. SanDiegoJoe

SanDiegoJoe

those look like boobies.

12. 56 Caddy Oil Bath retro'ed with a K&N 3 5/8th inch high 10 inch diameter...!

But for a dual Quad I'd recomend that wild sixties scoop/cleaner shown in an earlier post a couple of months ago...! Kinda like the one on this site...,

http://www.johnsonshotrodshop.com/

Mark

13. Paul

Paul
    Editor

[ QUOTE ]
    those look like boobies.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think they're tits!

14. DrJ

DrJ

Could you make one out of one of them Ostrich Egg headlight housings, [​IMG] with an after market GM TPI type filter on the front where the lens usually goes?

15. FrameDragger

FrameDragger

Doc, tried that at the Hot Rod Reunion last year.. with a Weiand foam filter up front... Still worry where certain pieces of that set-up went after they loosened up [​IMG]

[​IMG]

M-

16. Missing Link

Missing Link

[ QUOTE ]
    ...is that like the "flux-capcitor"???

[/ QUOTE ]

Or is it a Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator?

17. NITROFC

NITROFC
    BANNED

HERE MINE ...

Attached Files:

18. [ QUOTE ]
    Doc, tried that at the Hot Rod Reunion last year.. with a Weiand foam filter up front... Still worry where certain pieces of that set-up went after they loosened up

[/ QUOTE ]

If nothing's happened by now, you're probably ok.

My BSA 500cc single cylinder Alloy Clipper dirt bike ate the back of the carb slide.
    All that happened there was it started running really rough and sounded very much like a really big cam.
    Keeping the engine spun up got me home ok and a new slide cured things.

Due to the lack of decent air cleaners for dirt bikes back in the day - usually a coarse steel wool type mesh with a light coating of oil was all there was.
    The slide wore away on the back side due to the abrasive dirt pulled into the engine and the strong intake pulsations finally broke off a piece about the size of a nickel and the engine swallowed it with no harm.
    I did pull the head to check, no probs.... [​IMG]

Anyhoo . . . about the air cleaners . . . make yourself a set of roughly 9-10" diameter air cleaners using 3/16" aluminum for top and bottom.
    Get the right size paper filters (tall ones) before you start.
    Offset them for clearance. (I am seeing dual quads am I not?)
    You'll need three locating nubs to keep the filters in place or machine a 1/16" deep step inside top and bottom plates to do the filter locating.

You'll need a couple of 1/4-3/8" tall aluminum rings to adapt the cleaner base to the carb.
    Make the rings to fit the carbs air filter step.
    JB Weld these rings to the cleaner base. (Drill and tap for three 8-32 machine screws 120 degrees apart on each cleaner prior to the JB Weld bit.)
    In fact, red Loctiting the machine screws in would be good enough and assure you your're not going to have vibration knocking a screw loose and having the engine ingest it.

You can build these air cleaners without the offset, but they will be about 8 1/2" max diameter.
    If they're offset you can go larger and that will accomplish the visual fill-in you're looking for.

Below a pic of a pair of non-offset aluminum air cleaners I made - powdered black - and they work well.

Or take the weenie way out and get a large somewhat flat stainless bowl/cooking pan and drop it over the existing air cleaners.
    If you don't mind fake stuff, there ya go.... [​IMG]

Attached Files:

19. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

Here's one with the Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator.
    Complete with motion-flux-current drive attachment.
    [​IMG]

20. F1James

F1James

A cheap way to do it is to super glue two or three filter elements together use threaded rod for longer air cleaner bolts.you will add 2 or 3 times the filter surface.

21. Paul

Paul
    Editor

[ QUOTE ]
    glue two or three filter elements together

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, that aughta look cool [​IMG]

Attached Files: