Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Talk about your "fake" patina!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rustydusty, Dec 5, 2019.

1. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Clapton is an innovator and the real deal. The car...not so much. At least pull the radials off and put the fake bias look tires on it. Why stop at the paint job? Maybe there's a window tint that looks like the glass is cracked and delaminating. And an oil injector in the pipes so it looks like the rings are tired.

I like shiny cars but I do wish I could play the guitar like slow hand.

Dick Stevens and fastcar1953 like this.
  2. A Boner

A Boner

An 80 year old car with a new, shiny paint job is sort of fake looking too, if you stop and think about it!
    Especially if it’s a modern clear coat paint job.

nunattax likes this.
  3. rudestude

rudestude

If your going to go with the "Patina" look make it 100% original...wash and drive and no clear coats. 20190817_152612.jpeg

Sent from my SM-T387V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

nunattax likes this.
  4. indyjps

indyjps

Turtle deck looks good. This thread has taken its own course due to the title. Almost better just to start a separate build thread. :D
    Since your a high end carpenter, ever done roll and tip, or hand applied varnish or poly?
    Think of paint job the same way, enamel with a slow reducer will flow out well if brushed. Think tcpglobal, not rustoleum for paint.
    Do the whole car.

rudestude likes this.
  5. rudestude

rudestude

Sorry...guess thats what happens when you don't go to the front and see what the thread started out to be.
    But just judging from the title and seeing the last few posts , I assumed, ya I know what that generally ends up being....but wait...turtle deck "Patina"?
    Ya ..I got that covered also.
    A side lined , for now, T project just collecting some more natural "real" patina...I know ..still an Ass.
    Anyways I like your project, I will follow and not speak. 20200512_114105.jpeg 20200512_114024.jpeg

6. Just about finished this season's projects, still need to paint the body gloss black. Decided against the whole rust thing... 20200426_174543.jpg

7. Can't never go wrong with gloss black. Nice up-grades too. Turtle deck is a great improvement.

lurker mick likes this.
  8. Thanks for the compliments.

9. indyjps

indyjps

Shooting the paint? Or nice brush job? Theres a good brush paint thread going.

Would certainly make a glass body look a little more like an old steel.

10. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

11. I'm gonna spray it... not trying to make it look like a steel body.

indyjps likes this.
  12. Here’s my opinion:
    Make it look how you want it to look. Who cares what the others think.

40FORDPU, Hnstray and A Boner like this.
  13. rudestude

rudestude

Its looking good....turtle decks are the way to go, but either way there just alot of fun...
    Have fun and enjoy the ride.

14. I agree..but what would become of all the..What color should I paint my car/wheels/etc. threads?
    Individuality is what fuels this hobby, let's have a little more This is what I did vs What do you think I should do?

Racer29, Hnstray and nunattax like this.
  15. Looks great. I like the blue? Have you thought about just having it panel pinstriped?

16. clem

clem

Nice car. Pleased that you decided against the rust turtle deck.
    Would it not just be easier to paint the turtle deck to match the body ? ( and HT leads ).