Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Talk about memorable road trips in you Hot Rod or Custom

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Jul 23, 2020.

  1. It could be your first trip on the road with the Hot Rod or Custom, where you went, break downs, sleeping in the car or traveling with your friends, maybe we can't hit the road like previous years but we can share the adventures.

    My very first rod run was to Gatlinburg, Tennessee and I thought I had died and went to Hot Rod Heaven, I had never seen so many hot rods and the small town was busting at the seems, it was in October and the leaves were falling and the air was crisp, the smell of smoke coming from the BBQ restaurants and the non stop bumper to bumper parade of cars was exciting.

    This was the era of the resto rod, motor-meters, wire wheels and stroker caps.

    I honestly don't think I slept the entire weekend, I was like a kid waiting for Christmas and Gatlinburg was a giant candy store. HRP
  2. wicarnut
    Joined: Oct 29, 2009
    Posts: 5,142


    2 come to mind. my first trip to "Back to the 50's" I didn't know there was that many beautiful cars in the country, much less in 1 place, gave me perspective on the size of our great Hobby, A WOW eye opener for sure. The second, my first trip to Indy Goodguys, first gas stop, can't find my wallet, call home, wife finds it on kitchen counter where I set it, Why ? I picked up my phone and left the wallet, who knows. I was traveling with a group of 6 guys, everybody spotted me a $100 to get me through weekend. I had not been to the drag races for a long time and I forgot how loud the fuel dragsters are, they shake that aluminum grandstand big time and they hurt my ears.
  3. gnichols
    Joined: Mar 6, 2008
    Posts: 10,885

    from Tampa, FL

  4. chopped
    Joined: Dec 9, 2004
    Posts: 1,993


    Tallassee FL to Louisville 2003. First long haul in my old 36 Chevy. Great but hot time. Get to south Georgia on the return and a deer commits suicide into my right front. Never had time to feel bad as the response from strangers was overwhelming. Lunch showed up, a rollback and a secure place to keep her. A local cop volunteered to drive us 40 miles to get a rental car. Before we could take him up another guy got his brother to bring us one. Butler Georgia, a really great town.
    HOTRODPRIMER, 3W JOHN, das858 and 6 others like this.
  5. dana barlow
    Joined: May 30, 2006
    Posts: 4,152

    dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

    I did a "Way back story" road trip thing some time ago,in case anyone missed it;

    Back in the early 60s, our local Miami promoter of indoor car shows,had the bright idea too do a car show up in Sebring Florida at the same time as the Sebring 12hr Race. After all the town is full of 10000+ car fans right!
    I always,I had been going to see the 12hr sports car races anyway,so why not drive my full custom Henry J up from Miami this time.
    Now back then,frankly the road US 27 was really bumpy an bearly two lane an not EZ drive in a low custom car.
    Turns out Rudy{the promoter} had rented a wearhouse right on the circle mid town Sebring to have a car show in {set up on thur PM, then fri,sat,sun. was the plan} live band etc. Adds on radio an posters an flyers every were.
    OK car count showed up( 16 nice cars} close to as many as would fit in that anyway.
    But all the car fans are at the sports car9+ races,about 7 miles outside of town,and near no one came to show !
    Rudy made no $ to pay for the rent,an dose not want our cars impounded by the local law on sunday. Big plan had to be made!
    So, Rudy tells every one to get ready****,We got to make a "Secret " very late night run sat.night ,out of town an clear of county line,before the law catchs up. Well,if we get out of line,,meet up at Palmdale truck stop in next county.
    So yes ,we all pick up signs,stands, ropes n displays etc., and get ready to roll out the back doors when Rudy gives the big go!!!
    3 showcars normally go in trailers,but they do run,Rudy said not to load up out side,or move those trailers tell we all go by{plan was if any one broke down on run out,the trailers were to pick them up. Don't even start the motors{some make a lot of loud noise , tell he waves go !
    About 3;30 am Rudy waves Get'm UP,GO GO. LOL
    Wow,it was a bit of a high speed run,had too be crazy to see ,if any one saw that hot rod an custom parade flash by!!!!!!! Zoooom 16 show cars,3 tow trucks an trailers with Rudy as safety Caboose.
    We all made it to truck stop in next county,with only one over heated custom Olds,but no harm done.

    Rudy for his next show in Miami ,Bay Front Park Auditorium talked jokingly about giving the "Great Sebring Escape Crew" all trophy dash plaques ,,LOL,
    Didn't happen ,but he was funny an let those that were part of "The Great Escape", in for free that one show!.
    My custom I drove to the shows all over,an some I drove my hot rod "28 A" in Florida.
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2020
  6. nunattax
    Joined: Jan 10, 2011
    Posts: 2,385


    the first one little or no brakes glad to be home
  7. bill gruendeman
    Joined: Jun 18, 2019
    Posts: 449

    bill gruendeman

    My first trip was to (as a spectator) the nats in St. Paul(74),I drove my newly completed o/t car it was only 20 minutes from my house, but not bad for a 15 year old on a learner permit with mom and dad along. My best road trip was doing the hot rod power tour in 2012 . 4000 miles , a full week with my 18 year old son with no break downs.
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2020
    Dave Mc, LOU WELLS, 3W JOHN and 5 others like this.
  8. On the way to the Street Rod Nationals in Detroit in 1972 driving my buddies 1962 Bel-air station wagon. all of a sudden the left rear tire looked like a funny car doing a burnout. The left axle was on the way out, and rubbig against the inner fender. The bearing retainer got loose, and caused the axle to come out. We stopped, and limped to the nearest exit with a gas station. we were lucky, the owner pulled the axle, got a new bearing, and bearing retainer installed, and tack welded the retainer in place. Where was the old retainer ? we couldn't see it in the axle housing, so we decided to roll on. We found it the next day doing 65 miles per hour in the left lane of a 3 lane highway, somewhere in Cleveland, Ohio. The rear end made a horrendous noise, and I made a rapid lane change to an exit that was just there. We limped to another gas station, but the guy had his 2 lifts tied up. He let us use his parking lot, and a floor jack. The bearing retainer cleaned out the ring and pinion. Fortunately there were some guys hanging around, and they took me to a local junk yard to get another ham to replace the damaged one. We gave the garage owner $ 20.00, and thanked him profusely. When we continued to the camping area outside of Detroit. We just made it, as they shut the showers off at 8:00 PM. The showers were set on a timer. You pushed the button in, and proceeded to use the shower.We were so filthy from doing the repair outside on the ground, that the timed shower wouldn't do the job. Simple solution, I held the button in while my buddy showered, and he did the same for me. The other guys in line did the same thing after we were done showering.
  9. BuckeyeBuicks
    Joined: Jan 4, 2010
    Posts: 2,187

    from ohio

    The one that comes to mind first wasn't that much of a road trip (about 200 miles total) but I will sure never forget it! My cousin had a nice 289-C4 powered 55 Merc HT mild custom. It was black, nosed and decked, flamed, skirts, continental kit,nice red and white custom interior etc., you get the picture. He wanted me to take it to the Springfield,Ohio car show to put it in the cars for sale lot. This was the mid 90's sometime. I had lots of lookers but no takers. This Merc was running stock 15" wheels with spun aluminum "moon disc" I had heard guys talk about running radial tires on 50's steel wheels and wheel covers would pop off due to the wheels flexing but as we had put a bunch of miles on this car with no problems I didn't think twice about it. Coming home doing about 75mph on I70 there was the biggest crash -bang-boom from the right rear of the car you ever heard. I thought the whole back of the car exploded! I pulled over and found the right rear wheel cover had come off and took the fender skirt with it. I was checking out the damage when a Highway Patrol pulled up behind me. My brother was riding shotgun and had already jumped out to run back to look for the skirt and moon disc. The cop started chewing my ass about unsafe vehicle BS and how that could have killed someone but let me go. When I got to my cousin's house they were gone so I just put the car in his garage, shut the door and got in my truck and went home. I couldn't get him on the phone that night so I stopped at his place the next day after work. I thought he would be super pissed but he said he should have told me to check the caps on the Merc as they tend to come loose sometimes, so it was his own damned fault. It cost him about $500 to get it repaired and we sold it at the KKOA meet the next year. We laugh about it now but it wasn't very funny at the time:eek:
  10. 911 steve
    Joined: Nov 29, 2012
    Posts: 607

    911 steve
    from nebraska

    my mother made a trip from Omaha to Calif in 1940 in a 38-40 Ford sedan with her 3 cousins. after going to good-guys Des Moines, I decided to re-create the trip on my way home to Denver in my 40 sedan. took hwy 30 which was the Old Lincoln Hwy back in the day, out of Omaha stopping only at places that would have been there in 1940. no modern restaurants or modern hotels. listened to AM radio, didnt use a/c. drove thru a terrible thunderstorm that flooded Kearney, NE. developed a horrible vibration in the middle of no where. limped 20 miles at 20mph to Sidney, NE to a Chevy dealer. they found a broken u-joint snap ring. 1hr & $140 later I was back on the road. took lots of pics, great memories. last pic is my mom by their car on her trip P7070152.JPG P7070165.JPG P7070174.JPG P7070176.JPG P7070177.JPG P7080183.JPG P7080187.JPG P7080206.JPG maxresdefault.jpg 7-9-19a.jpg P7080266.JPG P7090300.JPG P7090308.JPG P4150001.JPG
  11. That my friend sounds like a adventure. HRP
  12. I had just spent boat loads of money on a 1947 Willys CJ2A...the rusty heap was free but it was rough...I had spent almost 2 years on it...4-5 nights a week toiling away on it...then came the day when it was time to drive it to the repair shop to get the New York State inspection sticker on it...I live on a really really busy road...I had left early that day just in case something might happen...I pull out onto my roadway out in front of my house...1st gear....2nd gear...3 gear...we were flying...or so we thought...I was doing 35-40 mph and it felt like I was doing 90 were backing up behind me like I was the slowest thing on the road....and I was...

    It did pass inspection later in the day....which was a good thing.....what I learned was that mostly stock 1947 vehicles don't belong a paved road surface at all...I think after that first day I might have driven it 4 or 5 more times before we sold it...

    live and are never too old to learn new stuff...

  13. 3W JOHN
    Joined: Oct 8, 2015
    Posts: 773

    3W JOHN

    The all deuce run was one of the stand out trips, even breaking a rear shock and Danny using his belt to strap a piece of 4x4 to the rear axle to keep the body from rubbing the body and drove another hundred miles home.
  14. Another memorable trip was my first NSRA NATIONALS in Columbus, Ohio in 1988, I had a 1940 Ford DeLuxe sedan and Brenda & I along with our twin 10 year old girl made the trip.

    A week before we departed I made a mad rush to buy a fiberglass Mullins trailer body, make a frame while I was waiting for it to arrive,bought some steelies to match the car and painted them black.

    and left it in black jel coat for the trip, I had enough room for everything 3 females needed, a big ice chest for food and drinks that needed to stay cold, cloths, chairs & tools.

    We had a ball and decided to go to see the Henry Ford Museum before we returned home, the place was amazing, even the girls had fun. HRP
  15. Malcolm
    Joined: Feb 9, 2006
    Posts: 7,659

    from Nebraska

  16. woodiewagon46
    Joined: Mar 14, 2013
    Posts: 1,758

    from New York

    In 2020 the year I retired, my wife and I drove our '46 Ford "Woodie" from Long Island, NY to Encinitas CA, for Wavecrest, the worlds largest "Woodie" show. Our only obligation was to be in Encinitas on Sept. 19th. Took Rt. 66 wherever possible and some desert roads out west, that we didn't see another car for miles. Can't wait to do it again, 7300 trouble free miles.
  17. I remember reading about your road trip and daydreaming about how much fun you must be having. HRP
  18. 31Apickup
    Joined: Nov 8, 2005
    Posts: 2,457


    Nats in 87 was Columbus, 88 was first year in Louisville

    Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app
  19. 31Apickup
    Joined: Nov 8, 2005
    Posts: 2,457


    Got my 31 pickup on the road summer of 87, just drove around locally. Finished up more stuff on it over the winter and decided to go to the 1988 Street Rod Nats in Louisville. A buddy joined me and we drove it down from the Detroit area. I was nervous never having drove it more than 60 miles. The truck just motored along fine. We camped out by Shelbyville, low budget days, I was 25 then. It was one hot weekend with temps hitting 104. Broke a front shock mount, but welded it up at the MSSR trailer. Pretty memorable adventure.

    Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app
  20. It's been a long time ago, we went to the Nationals 2 years in a row, Columbus & Louisville, thanks for correcting my faux pas. HRP
    3W JOHN likes this.
  21. 31Apickup
    Joined: Nov 8, 2005
    Posts: 2,457


    3W JOHN, HOTRODPRIMER and dana barlow like this.
  22. atch
    Joined: Sep 3, 2002
    Posts: 4,640


    Here's an excerpt from another thread from a few years ago. Back then, for some unknown reason, I didn't use capitalization. Pleased forgive me for that gaffe.

    Speaking about Clarence:


    ...actually i don't know exactly what day i purchased it, but the title is dated 2/23/73.

    we've been through a lot together. when i bought it i thought i was buying a cheap ($75) old (25 years old at the time) 2nd vehicle. i used it as a daily driver at that time; in the original flathead 3-sp configuration. little did i know the experiences having it has brought to me. and the many many friends that i'd have never met otherwise. many of those friends are here on the hamb. many aren't. one has been my wife for the last 8 years.


    Later that day in the same thread I added:

    bought 02/73. drove as was 'til around '83. stored in dad's hay barn 'til '88 (+/-). got it running as original and drove to nsra nats in OKC in '90 (i think; maybe someone remembers what year they were in OKC). installed 283/350, aspen/volare, 8", etc. winter of '91-'92. went to nsra nats in '92 (the great flood year) as maiden voyage. met a family (tom/sherry/kylee/ryan) with another '48 ford panel truck the day of the flood. we had both parked on the west side of the fairgrounds (the flood was on the east side). attended many of the same runs/shows (americruises/nats/goodguys/etc.) over the next several years. a couple of years after divorces in both families sherry & i reconnected and got married in '04.

    in the meantime clarence and i hit mini nats in york, pueblo, and many in springfield. also our travels took us to bonneville 3 times (so far), btt50's, the first 11 americruises, several RR, and all the hamb drags 'til '12, when he let me down friday morning on the way to joplin. in addition to the shows/runs you'd recognize we have been to more small gatherings & private runs than even i can remember. some of the best were taking my daughters places. especially canoeing on the current river and camping. since there's only seats for two these trips have always been 1 on 1 with my two little sweethearts (they are in their 30's now, so it's been a while since any of those trips). many times i've set up a tent for the daughter and i've slept in clarence.


    The next day I added the following to the same thread:

    ...once, when clarence was in the original 2-tone paint scheme (black and rust) i had a 383 road runner engine in the back that i'd just finished that i was planning to put into my '64 plymouth. the local yokels stopped us one evening about midnight. the (then) wife and i were both in our very early 20's; i had shoulder length curly/wavy hair and Lynda had blond hair about to her waist and we both looked like the hippies we were. they used the excuse that a kidnapping had happened earlier that day in sedalia, a town about 60 miles away, and clarence matched the description of the "getaway car". they proceeded to search the panel and demanded to see paper proof that the 383 wasn't stolen, which fortunately i had with me. one dude's eyes lit up when he found a baggie in one of the many storage compartments which all panel trucks have. sadly for him, though, when he reached into it to see what it held all he came up with was a hand full of dirty grease and some old bearings that came out of the 383. they were really hacked that they didn't find any drugs or paraphanalia and eventually had to let us go. to this day i still think that they only used the "kidnapping" as an excuse to hassle us.


    Five years later (in July of 2018) I added this to that thread:

    ...It's been 5 years, so I'll add a bit here and there. I've now had Clarence over 45 years.

    For starters in '16 Clarence got a heart transplant. GM crate 350. The 283 was just sooooo tired. I asked my local machinist friend what he would charge me to bore the 283 and supply/install new pistons and rings. His response was "I'm not gonna tell you, 'cause you can buy a crate engine from Summit or Jegs for less than I'll be charging you." Not being blessed with lots of extra capital I did what most rodders do; I went the less expensive route. Sure would have liked to keep using the 283, though. It came in a '66 Impala that my grandmother bought new in the fall of '65 shortly after my grandfather died. The car was passed around the family quite a bit over the years. I even owned it for a couple of years before it went on to my nephew. I have the 283 stashed under the back shelf in my shop just in case I win a lottery and have the ca$h to do something with it. Odds are not in my favor, though. I've never bought a lottery ticket. B-t-w; the Impala was a red 2-dr hardtop with red interior, white headliner, 283/PG, and bench seats. Sure wish I still had it. Once, during one of the two times my parents owned it, I used it on a date and completed a couple of "firsts" in the back seat. Oh, did I just say that?

    Also overhauled the T-350 trans. And rebuilt the rear end; including the punkin and all new brake parts. Had it down to the bare case and painted it before reassembling. Also installed the "new" rear springs that I put together about 10 years ago from several sets I had acquired from various boneyards. I reversed the rear spring hangers like someone on here posted several years ago. The new springs and up-side-down spring hangers keep the ride about where it was, but it rides a lot better. The old set had some leaves removed, the result of being at a friend's shop one day and Johnny said "your truck's too high in the back; let's take some leaves out." We removed every other leaf right then and there. I drove it that way for a few days. It bottomed out on highway expansion cracks so I put some of them back in.

    He's getting many more updates this year. Ryan Lieberman, Ryno on here, is doing some amazing fab work on him and I'll recount those later after completion.

    For now let me tell one of the stories that I plan to eventually post up here.

    In '97 I and 3 other rodding families took a trip to Colorado to the Pueblo NSRA show. One '47 and three '48s. All Fords, although one was English (Prefect). I was by myself 'cause my then wife has never been to a car show or rod run in her life and my two sweetheart daughters were teenagers and were just too busy to go. Both of them are gearheads but at that particular time they weren't interested in going. We took I-70 to Kansas City and then US-50 the rest of the way to Pueblo. We stayed one night in Dodge City, Kansas. I've looked several times on Google Earth for the motel we stayed in but can't find it. It had a "model" airplane on a post out front. It was about 6' long and 6' wide, IIRC. Anyone here remember that? I believe that it was right on 50. Rolled into Pueblo after two hot days of sweating across Kansas and eastern Colorado.

    The NSRA show was about what you would expect; good but not spectacular. While there I bought the air cleaner that is still on Clarence. One evening on the way back to the motel Ed, who was leading the pack, suddenly pulled onto the shoulder with his engine turned off. He had lost all oil pressure. After a few minutes of searching we found that the plastic oil line to the mechanical gauge had come out of the grommet at the gauge end. Cut off a half inch and reinstalled it. All was well once again and the earth was spinning in greased grooves (bonus points if you know the movie that this line is from).

    We were staying in Canon City, about 40 miles west of Pueblo. We had decided at the last minute to put this trip together so Pueblo rooms were sold out. After NSRA was over we stayed on at Canon City for a couple of more days. One day we toured the Museum at the Old Territorial Prison. One of the younger generation on the trip was in college studying the legal justice system and she wanted to go. We were all glad that we went. It was very interesting. I won't go into details, but you can read about it here or Google it yourself for more info.

    The motel we stayed at had a man-made above ground fishing pond attached to their restaurant. They kept it stocked with trout and you could catch your own supper. I do my fishing at the local grocery store, so I didn't try for a trout. I'd probably still be there trying to catch a fish if I had tried.

    Another day six of us (out of the 11 on the trip) went rafting on the Arkansas River, just upstream of the Royal Gorge. They would not let us go into the Gorge unless we had previous rafting experience, of which none of us had. I'd do that again in a heartbeat if the opportunity ever presented itself. Of course I was 21 years younger back then, so it might be harder for me to do today. These six were the 4 men and the oldest two of the younger generation. The other 5 went shopping. They sure missed out on a great day on the water.

    While in Canon City we were told to not miss driving on Skyline Drive. This is a city park that was built many years ago just west of the town proper. You go about 3 miles west of town on US-50 and turn off to the right. Then you drive about a half mile up the side of a hill (mountain???). At the top you then drive along the ridge for a couple of miles. The road is about 800 feet higher than the surrounding land on both sides of the road. It's not exactly straight down, but it's not far from it. It's a one-way road because the road is just barely wide enough for one car in places. There are places where they had to build up the roadbed with stones 'cause the top of the ridge isn't wide enough for a road. It will scare the bejesus out of those of us who don't like heights. I was fourth in line and the other three left me behind. They kept calling me on the CB asking where I was but I wasn't about to let go of the steering wheel with either hand to grab the mic and answer them. That steering wheel is no longer in Clarence and I don't know where it is, but I bet it has indentations on the back where my fingers were.

    Somewhere in that timespan we found time to go to the Royal Gorge but didn't have much time for all the activities they have there. I've been back since and recommend it.

    After we left Canon City we went up Pike's Peak and then stayed in Colorado Springs. We all had CB radios and jabbered constantly. About half way up the mountain Tom (also in a '48 panel truck) said he was pulling off to put in new plugs but for the rest of us to go on. The other Tom and his family stayed with him and they quickly put in new plugs. Seems his panel had been running rich all the way but the lack of oxygen had fouled his plugs badly. Ed and I went on to the top, where we jumped, shouted, and generally had a celebration that our rods had successfully made it to the top at 14,114 feet above sea level. Tom and Tom arrived in just a few minutes and we all celebrated. Ed and his wife Joan had been up Pike's Peak several times, as Joan had a sister that lived nearby, but none of the rest of us had ever been there. (note: a moment of silence, as Ed, Joan, and the sister have all passed on. I have a lot of good friends, but Ed was my best friend) Anyway, we looked at the vistas, bought souvenirs, and enjoyed the moment. The staff at Summit House, the shop at the top, told us that we certainly chose a great day to visit, as the skies were totally clear that day and we could see all the way to the horizon to the east, somewhere in Kansas. I've been back twice since then and you couldn't see nearly as far either time.

    Down at the bottom again and in Colorado Springs we found a NAPA store and bought jets for Tom's truck. We had plenty of tools and rejetted his carb right there in the NAPA parking lot. His panel ran great thereafter. Too bad we didn't do that before we left Missouri, or more specifically in Tom's case before he left Chicago.

    Before we left Pueblo a couple of days previously one of the wives had called and gotten reservations in Colorado Springs. When we checked in they told us the price and this wife reminded them that the price quoted on the phone was considerably lower. A heated discussion ensued. This particular wife did the books for her husband's business and she gave them a lecture on good business practices that may or may not have used curse words I had never heard before. Not having any other place to go we stayed there anyway and paid up their asking price. I've never stayed overnight in Colorado Springs again so I guess the lack of my business hasn't hurt them any.

    On our last day in Colorado Springs we drove through the Garden of the Gods and took a lot of pix, but nothing happened worthy of inclusion here.

    After we left Colorado Springs we made our way via US-50 and US-24 to Leadville, the highest city in the US that is inhabited year round, at 10,152 above sea level. Nothing out of the ordinary happened there, but the visit was nice/picturesque. I've been back since in Clarence and on a H-D and spent a couple of nights there. There are some pretty good roads around there for scenic driving, as there is in about all of western Colorado. In my shop I have a black and white road map of Colorado and I've hi-lited all the roads that I've been on either in Clarence or on a H-D. Most of the roads west of the front range are hi-lited.

    North of Leadville we got back on I-70 and headed east. This was the 2nd time we were on an interstate highway. Past Dillon you go up a 7 - 8 mile long hill to the entrance of the Eisenhower Tunnel. About half way up the highway turned into a 3 lane parking lot. We would move a hundred feet or so, stop, and repeat. You know the drill. You've all been there done that. None of our rods were equipped for that sort of stop and go traffic. All our engines were getting hotter and hotter. There was a pull off place up ahead on the right and folks were nice enough to let us merge over through 2 lanes and get off the road. A Colorado trouper came by and told us that a motor home had been on fire in the tunnel and it would be some time 'til traffic would clear out. We waited a while and when traffic began moving again we got back on the road. About half way through the tunnel there was a big spot where the white tiles lining the walls and ceiling were blackened badly.

    After we got part way down the east side of the mountain we turned back west on US-40 to head over Berthoud Pass. By that time the day was getting short and we were looking for a place to spend the night. We had brought enough sleeping bags and tents to rough it but no one really wanted to. About 6 miles past Empire we found some cabins that had a vacancy sign. We pulled in and asked about getting some cabins. There were 11 of us from 4 families. They had one cabin vacant. We said "We'll take it!" Turns out it had one bedroom with two double beds and a set of bunk beds. The living room had a couch, a recliner, and an over stuffed chair with matching ottoman. With 3 married couples, me, and 4 younger folks, one of whom was a college aged girl, we knew it would be cramped and that there would be a possibility that modesty might be compromised. We made it work. I don't remember exactly who slept where, except that I took the couch, one of the wives took the recliner, the college age girl got one of the bunk beds, a teenage boy used the chair/ottoman, and a younger teenage girl slept on the floor right beside the couch I was on. While everyone else was making the sleeping arrangements Ed and I went back down to Empire where we had seen a sort of small general store. We knew it would be a long way to a breakfast restaurant the next morning so Ed and I bought all the eggs and bacon that they had. I think I remember that that was 2 pounds of bacon and 2 dozen eggs. Along with some bread, milk, and coffee we were set for the night. There was a VERY small bathroom off of the kitchen that had an equally small shower. Turns were taken and everyone got a shower that wanted it. The next morning the 3 wives (all of whom are very good cooks, to which I can attest) cooked all the bacon and eggs, along with toasting all the bread. Someone made coffee. I don't do coffee so I and the younger crowd drank the milk. I stayed there again 3 years later and the lady who ran the place remembered us.

    So on over Berthoud we went. We stopped at the top and took the obligatory pix of each other sitting on the rock monument that marks the continental divide. A couple of miles down the other side there was one of those (very) little mountain streams coming down the hill, flowing over a small waterfall, and running under the road. We all stopped and I got a drink from the stream. That water had been snow shortly before melting and coming down the hill. When I'm a hundred years old and someone asks me to what I attribute my longevity I'll tell them it was the mountain water I drank in '97. A couple of miles further down the mountain Tom yelled into the CB "Ed, pull over! Something just came loose under your car." We were going around a switchback when Tom said that so as soon as the road straightened somewhat we all pulled over onto the shoulder. Seems that Ed had built his English Ford Prefect to be a drag race car but installed lights and mufflers and drove it on the street. The rear suspension is a triangulated 4 link. That thing was never meant to be a slalom racer. The corners had taken their toll and broken the weld where the triangulating link attached to the frame. In '97 US-40 was all 2-lane from I-70 to Steamboat Springs. However, the Colorado highway folks were in the early stages of widening it and we had passed a construction crew going around that last switchback. A lady in a hardhat came walking down the hill and told us "you can't park there; this is a construction zone." In a polite voice Ed informed her that be what it may his car wasn't moving anywhere 'til a roadside repair had been effected. She went back up the hill and returned with 5-6 cones, placed them behind us, told us to take all the time we needed, and made a remark as to what great cars we were driving. Ed and Tom crawled under the car and did something to get it back on the road again. As I wasn't party to the actual repair (there isn't much room under a Prefect rear) I don't know how they fixed it, but we all knew it was temporary. We crawled the 20 something miles down the mountain to Granby, the first place that appeared to have any services other than ski lifts. We pulled into the parts house that we saw and went in to ask if there was a welder in town. Yes, they assured us, and gave us directions to the edge of town where we found a pretty ragged and rugged big fella sitting in a lawn chair in front of his shop, which was actually a detached garage. He told us he would weld on Ed's car but not 'til he had finished his lunch and in the meantime for Ed to back the car up towards the garage door. Note that the driveway was pretty steep. About as steep a drive as I've ever seen. But Ed backed the Prefect up and set the parking brake and put it in park. Of course if the rear got jacked up off the ground there would be nothing keeping it from rolling down the hill. Someone found a rock or brick or something to chock a front wheel with. After his lunch break the fella jacked up the car and crawled under it. After a few minutes of frying egg sounds he came out and pronounced the car roadworthy. Money changed hands and off we went. When we got home Ed inspected the suspension and decided no further repair was necessary. This was the same car that had the oil pressure issue in the last installment. It seems that when a group of us run in a pack that if there is any car trouble that it is one car over and over. We've all had a bad trip where multiple breakdowns occurred. That was Ed's trip/year. He and I have followed each other across much of this country and that's the only car trouble I've ever heard of him having in one of his hot rods.

    We left Granby and entered Rocky Mountain National Park to cross the continental divide for the 4th and final time on that trip. Vail Pass, Eisenhower Tunnel, Berthoud Pass, and now Iceberg Pass. At the Alpine center several of us climbed the Alpine Ridge Trail up to the top to see the view from the observation point. If you look that up in Google Earth and zoom in you can actually see each person on the trail.

    After going over Iceberg Pass there is a huge field to the left of the road and in the photo album I've got in my lap I have a couple of pictures that include 20 - 30 elk on that hill, most within 30 - 40 yards of the road. They didn't even look up as we drove by.

    Going down the east slope we stopped at one of those scenic overlooks. The chipmunks were everywhere and the teenagers (all 11 of us) tried to get one to get close enough to touch but never succeeded. I do, however, have a pic of a chipmunk and my shoe in the same frame, about 6" apart.

    As we were about to leave the National Park there was a crowd of cars on the shoulder so we stopped to see what was happenin'. A bull moose was grazing a few yards away. He also didn't seem to care that there were humans about.

    After spending a night in Boulder we got back on I-70 for the 3rd time, the only Interstate highways we were on the entire trip. A few miles east is Byers, CO, where US-36 heads east while I-70 turns southeast. We took US-36 all the way across Kansas and a goodly portion of Missouri. Somewhere in western KS we saw a herd of buffalo, obviously tamed somewhat and within a fenced field.

    I had been to Belleville, KS, a couple of times before and knew the proprietors of a very cool '50s mom and pop motel. I even have driven an antique midget racer around the Belleville High Banks. On one of those trips to race old race cars Bill Smith was there at the swap meet with a small collection of antique race parts for sale. I wish now that I had bought something from him just to be able to say so. Anyway, back to the story. The motel owned a miniature golf place across the highway and told us we could go over and play as much as we wanted to. We did and had a ball with all 11 of us, ranging in age from 5ish to mid-50's playing. I knew of a shop in the less travelled streets of Belleville that usually had several old cars awaiting work, so the next morning we cruised over there to check things out. We were nosing about when the owner came out and chatted with us for awhile. He invited us to the "back yard" behind the shop to see what was out there. Looking at a pile of dismantled tin (think model a which comes apart at every one of those seams) Ed asked what it was. The owner said it was a '26 Chevy roadster and we could have it if we wanted. In about 30 seconds I had Clarence around the back and unloaded tents, sleeping bags, suitcases, coolers, etc. We squeezed every piece of that body into Clarence and then piled all the other stuff back in. Off we went headed home. Bill, brother to one of the Toms, has these Chevy pieces and might build something out of it someday.

    one additional note regarding the scenic overlook where the chipmunks were:

    While we were admiring God's beautiful handiwork a new pickup truck came rolling in. He obviously had been coming down the mountain as there was smoke rolling out of the front fender wells. I bet his rotors were red. Two fellas got out and walked over to the edge of the parking lot to look at the view. After a VERY short while they sauntered back towards their truck. One of the men in our group suggested to them that they wait a while to let their brakes cool off. "No; not necessary" one of them replied. In the truck and off they went. I bet that they had the gear selector in OD and rode the brakes all the way down the mountain. I also bet that the next day the driver had no idea why his brakes jerked him around every time he used them. The rotors were probably warped a quarter of an inch by the time they reached the flatlands. Maybe someone explained it to him later, but I doubt that he would have understood what he had done.

    The rest of the trip was totally uneventful so I'll sign off here.


    In another post I wrote this (and as I understand the rules the '64 Plymouth was H.A.M.B. friendly):

    ...exwestracer said:
    1. Dude, that's a given... The view of the stars out the back window of a 68 Barracuda with the seats folded down is amazing...;)
    To which I responded:

    funny you should mention the back seat of a cuda...

    the following was from around '69 or '70ish:
    my first really quick car was a '64 plymouth with the 440/4sp drivetrain out of a '68 GTX in it. i bought it from my friend larry who had built it. he sold it to me when he found a baracuda. i don't remember if it was a 67 or 68, but it was a really good looking gold color with the quintsential bucket seats & console. but, as you all know, the home run that plymouth hit with those fastback cars was the fold down back seat that was pretty much the size of a twin bed.

    ok, back to the story. occasionally when larry wanted an e-ticket ride we'd trade cars for the evening. i picked up my e-ticket ride (his 'cuda) and headed to the sticks pretty soon after dark. sweet thang and i were enjoying each other's company in the folded down back seat when we thought we heard a tractor coming up the gravel road. we were going to disregard it and continue our rollicking, but it stopped right beside us and turned off the engine. of course, at that point we had to sit up to see what was going on. there sat my plymouth. larry had uncorked the headers and mounted the 9" slicks that i kept in the trunk and went street racing. seems that he was just about to launch when they saw the car with the cherry on top headed for them. as the "starting line" of that particular 2-lane road was right at the intersection of a gravel road larry just turned and headed off on said gravel road. cops got the dude he was lined up against but larry got away. as soon as he saw that he was clear he slowed down to drive back to town on back roads in 1st gear, as:

    1) he had no place and no tools to recap the headers
    2) he had no tires with him so he had to drive on the slicks

    anyway, back at the cuda, cutie and i climbed back into the front and we had a short gear-head bs session with larry. eventually larry headed back to town to return the plymouth to street trim and betty and i finished what we had started. wonder what ever happened to the little hottie. haven't seen her in 40 years...

    ... the 1st trip to the salt ranks right up there. 8 of us in 4 vehicles went and none of us had ever been there before. that was the 50th in '97. i didn't hardly catch my breath the whole week. just had to (figuratively) keep pinching myself to see if it was real or a dream. being the 50th they had invited hot rodders to attend and during a break in the action they let us all line up and drive down the course. we never got over 60-70, but the feeling that we were "on the track" was a real thrill. most of us will never get to strap into a salt flats racer and make a real pass, so that's probably as good as it's going to get for me.

    i believe that it was that same salt trip that BenD & i were riding around the pits with HRLC. that was when big olds didn't have a top or back seat. ben & i sat on the package tray. denise saw gene winfield in his pit changing out flatheads in his whacked 26/27 T coupe salt racer and pulled right up and parked. they weren't going fast with the #1 motor so they were installing #2. gene's girlfriend (11/20/2018 edit: friend at least; maybe or maybe not "girlfriend") was sitting on the steps of his motor home all alone watching. as you know denise has never ever met a stranger. i can't remember the girlfriend's name and don't know if she and denise had ever met before, but instantly the two of them were sitting on the motor home steps chatting like they'd known each other all their lives. ben and i stand and the 4 of us gab for about 15 minutes, never bothering gene or talking to him (he was obviously VERY busy). gene quietly put down the tools he had in his hands and walked towards the motor home, said "excuse me" and went inside. about 2 minutes later out he comes, hands denise a photo album, and goes back to work on the race car without saying another word. we open up the album and, lo & behold, it's his personal photo album of all those famous cars he had built in his lifetime. not professional pix, but the ones he had taken himself. it was really hard to keep the drool off of the pages.

    eventually we all piled back into big olds and were about to drive away when kent fuller pulled up and stopped. he slowly walked around big olds and then quietly said "fadeaways... (long pause)... needs fadeaways" and walked over to chat with gene.

    around that same time period i had helped a friend (many of you know him) when he was restoring a 1948 V-8 60 miget racer. i also went with him to several out of state antique races to be his pit crew. one trip to belleville kansas (the high banks of belleville) i got the chance to drive the car around the "worlds fastest 1/2 mile" a few laps. very cool. i know i wasn't very fast but it sure felt like it.

    i went to the first 11 R&C Americruises. at the first one ('93) in springfield, mo, i had just finished the top chop on clarence. it had a windshield, but no door glass, front or back. all of you who were there know that it rained an hour and the sun shined an hour, then repeated over and over. i had brought along some plastic sheeting and a couple of boxes of binder clips. you know, the big paper clips. every time it started to rain i'd park and clip plastic over the tops of all 4 doors. then when it would stop raining i'd remove it. and repeat. and repeat. and repeat. but i was THERE! and i was driving my own hot rod! not the 1st big show i'd driven it to, but the first after the chop.

    earlier that week, on the way to the a'cruise, the late steve osborn (weeds on here) and i stopped at a macdonalds on the way to pete & jakes where we joined up with the other cruisers. it was pretty hot. no, it was really hot. steve was in his '29 rpu with a removeable cloth top. he asked me if i had room in clarence to put the top, and of course i did. a couple of bolts loose and the top was in the back of clarence. steve and his son jack were in the rpu and the wife/daugher (lois & sally) were in his other wild custom pickup that we all just called "the white truck", since unless you were there when it was being built there was just about no way that you could tell what it started out as. well, after we got to and left pete & jakes we headed down 71 towards joplin. i always kept one of those spray bottles from wally world in clarence. it wasn't as good as a vintage air unit, but a spray in the face from it was better than nothing. so here we are cruising somewhere not too far over the speed limit when steve/jack pull up in the left lane and ask if they can have a squirt from the spray bottle. sure, i says. 80 mph and i'm handing jack the bottle. pretty soon he hands it back. then, as they knew that wherever i was there would be a cooler of pepsi, they asked if i had any. sure i says. 80 mph and i'm handing jack a couple of pepsi's. they drop back and i lose them from the mirror. the sky is getting black waaaay up ahead. 20 minutes or so later the first sprinkles hit the windshield (remember, the only glass in clarence). next overpass i come to i pull over under the bridge. lois & sally pull in behind me a minute or so later. i walk back to the white truck and ask lois if she knows whether steve wants the rpu top. "i don't know" she said, "but i'll ask". she queues up the CB (remember, this is pre-cell phone days) and asks if steve wants to put on the top. "hell, no, there's a car show to go to" we hear over the CB as steve and jack roll past us at (again) over the speed limit. lois nails the white truck and i run back to clarence. it takes me 10-15 miles driving at insane speeds to catch up with steve. somewhere i've got a 35mm pic of a small dot in the middle of a wall of water; steve and jack in the fenderless rpu throwing up twin roostertails 25 feet or so in the air.

    edit; I found the pic and took a cell phone pic of it:

    i know you folks are probably bored stiff reading this, but, like most of you, i could go on for about a hundred pages or two. these stories are just the first ones that popped into my head. perhaps i'll add some more in a few days. i wasn't going to spout any of my drivel at all until someone mentioned a baracuda. that just turned on a switch in my head and i couldn't help myself. i wish i could write like roger jeter or jay carnine 'cause they could take these memories and nail you to your seat reading them.

    the next thrill i hope to experience will be the actual commencement of construction on the T modified i've been collecting parts for. the one after that should be the first ride in it. that's assuming, of course, that i don't get any rushes in clarence first, which is always a possibility.

    here are 3 episodes from the americruise trip to snomass village, colorado. JD & mary in their big window, 429 '56 ford pu and me following somewhere westbound in the middle of kansas on I-70. we're chatting away on the CB's, as usual, when jd says "mike, i'm gonna slow down a bit, the truck's getting a vibration". about 10 seconds later it's "mike, i'm...." as i see white smoke billowing off of the front right corner of the '56 and the brake lights come on. they slow to a stop on the shoulder and i pull in behind. by the time i get up to their truck jd and mary are looking at the shredded front right tire with the most pitiful looks on their faces. i said something like "it's no big deal, let's just put your spare on." jd tells me that he doesn't carry a spare. "again, no big deal, my spare has the same bolt pattern. get your jack out while i get my spare out." to which jd replied "i don't carry a spare; why would i carry a jack?" long story short we get him back on the road with a new tire from the farm store at the next exit.

    second is not really a specific incident, but the overall rod run. up in those mountains there aren't any "locals" to crowd around the hot rods with their pissy gf/wives (who just don't get "it") moaning and complaining; no dogs peeing on hot rod tires; no crowds; nothing but hot rods & mountain roads. each day members of the local car club who were helping out led day trips in the mountains, taking us to places we would never have found on our own. somewhere i've got two mooneyes stickers and a styrofoam antenna ball that chico gave me one day when we stopped for lunch together. i hope to find the stickers by the time i finish the modified. i'd sure like to put them on it.

    thirdly is the picnic lunch that jd, mary & i had on top of independence pass on the way home. as you know that's over 12K feet high. we took food from missouri for the trip and there was a bag of potato chips that mary had bought in mo that hadn't been opened yet. we got them out up there and the bag was blown up just like a mylar birthday balloon. very unscientific proof that there just isn't as much atmospheric pressure up high than there is in the flatlands. anyway, there was snow up on top and mary & i had a snowball fight in our shorts, tee shirts, & sandals. jd just ate his sandwich and watched.


    A couple of months later I put this in that thread:

    Here's as short one (or two).

    In '97 I went to the York mini-nats. Bob Galbraith and I went to engineering school at Mizzou about a hunnert years ago and became good friends. We have kept in touch since. He lives about a hundred miles east of me which is, more-or-less, on the way to York. We had decided to go together and pull his antique tear-drop trailer. Many of you know that Bob owns New Port Engineering; the folks who make electric windshield wipers for our hot rods. He now has a huge trailer to take to shows with all his vender gear in it, but back then he used his teardrop trailer to go to shows in. FWIW this is the same trailer that Bob, his wife, and their two children took vacations all over the US in; pulling it behind their Model A sedan when the kids were small enough that all 4 could sleep in a teardrop trailer. I had a hitch ball installed in a flame-cut hole in the rear bumper and we just hooked up the trailer and went.

    Time out: the hole was flame cut by a Columbia, MO, machinist who many of you also know. I don't even remember now why I needed or wanted a trailer hitch on Clarence, but somewhere back in time (mid-70's iirc) I needed it. Richard told me to bring Clarence over and he'd put a hole in the bumper. At that time I didn't even own a hand-held drill, much less any more exotic tools. So Richard starts blasting a hole in the top of the bumper with a cutting torch; checking with the ball shaft occasionally. When he got done it almost looked like the hole had been drilled.

    Time in: so we pulled the teardrop with all of the New Port display and product in it. Bob's son Gavin, who was just a pup then was going with us also. Bob had a bucket seat out of some old car laying around his shop so we drilled 4 holes in the rear floor and bolted the seat in. Don't know if any of you have ever ridden in the back of a panel truck, but you can't see jack from there. Especially in a car bucket seat where your a$$ is only about 4 " off of the floor. The top of Gavin's head was not even as high as the bottom of any door window or the windshield. Poor Gavin rode all the way from Missouri to Pennsylvania and back in that seat. He never saw anything out the windows except sky.

    Just a couple of days before we were to leave I had an entirely new exhaust installed, with the pipes exiting the back right under the bumper. What we didn't realize was that the door gaskets on the rear doors were shot so we were sucking raw exhaust right in through the door gaps. We hadn't gone very far before Gavin was about sick. When we realized what was going on we propped the rear doors open about 4" so that the air being sucked in was predominately outside air and not pure exhaust. That worked pretty well until it got chilly and started raining. Note that there was no heater or defroster in Clarence. All was still well except that Bob and I had to continually wipe the inside of the windshield to keep the fog off of it. Because of the fumes we had to keep the doors propped open though. We were a bit chilled also. But so what; we could have been in a roadster. Couldn't complain after all.

    We stopped in Dayton, Ohio and spent the night with another friend. The next morning we went over to the Aircraft museum at Wright-Patterson AFB. I won't bore you with any of those details, but those of you who have been there know that it would be worth driving from Missouri to Ohio just to see that museum. Ok, I'll bore you with just one detail. They have a couple of US presidential airplanes there. For me those were the hit of the show. FDR's plane has a trap door in the floor with an elevator that extends down to the ground so he could get in and out of the plane. The next airplane in succession was the one DDE used and it was much larger and more comfortable. I've heard that they have more than those two now. But enough about air travel.

    We had reservations just outside of Washington DC for the two nights before the mini-nats set-up day. The hotel was at the northwest end of the commuter train line. We pulled in there at bedtime. The next morning the airport "limo" took us over to the train station and we rode the train down to the National Mall (I believe that this is what it's called). The three of us spent the day walking around going in and out of the Smithsonian buildings and monuments. I had never before been to DC, so I was just like the country bumpkin tourist in New York City; staring and looking up at the sights. The elevator in the Washington Monument was out of order so they closed the whole thing down. They will let you walk up the stairs if the elevator is working, but when it's not you just can't go up in it at all. I've been back twice since then and still haven't been inside the Washington Monument. The 2nd time I was there was when it was being renovated (late 90's???) and it was closed. The 3rd time was about 10 (+/-) years ago right after the earthquake caused it to be closed while they tuck-pointed and repaired it. Closed again. Maybe before I cash in I'll get to go up in that sucker. That evening we took the last train from downtown back to the end of the line, where the "limo" picked us up and returned us to the hotel.

    Next day we were up early and booked it up to York. We set up the New Port display and called it a day.

    The next day Gavin and I cruised the fairgrounds in Clarence while Bob was at work selling wipers. We stopped by the area where there were several vintage canned ham camping trailers set up. Several of these folks invited us into their trailers so we could see them. I had never before seen inside of one. I don't recall any of the names of the folks we talked with, but I'm thinking that some of them are on here. If any of you reading this were there camping let me say thank you for showing us around your campers. I was totally impressed and have wanted one ever since.

    The only other thing of note that happened on the fairgrounds was while Gavin and I were cruising. We turned around a sharp right hand corner and some little fella ran his RC car right under our front wheel. OOPS. Smashed that thing to bits. To that "little fella": if you're all grown up now and happen to be reading this I'm truly sorry for ruining your day.

    At that time I didn't know that Harley Davidson has a manufacturing facility in York. Had we known Gavin and I would probably have gone for a tour of it. I've toured the other two in the US (Milwaukee and Kansas City) and would like to tour the York one also.

    The last full day of the show Gavin and I drove out to Gettysburg and spent the day touring the battleground. I learned more about the Civil War that day than I had learned in all of my public schooling.

    For the most part the trip home was uneventful. The lone exception was travelling through Illinois. Back then they had a 55 mph speed limit for any vehicle pulling a trailer. I'm thinking that this was meant for semis, but apparently didn't exclude smaller trucks pulling smaller trailers. We were cruising along at something over 65 (the speed limit for everyone else) when an Illinois trooper pulled up alongside of us in the passing lane, looked over at me, and with his right hand flashed five five to me. I just nodded and slowed down. Right decent of him to not pull us over and give me a ticket. We were probably doing in excess of 70. I, of course, waited 'til he was out of sight in front of us before climbing back up to 65 (+/-).

    All in all a good trip and a lot of time for Bob and me to visit, which is something we don't get to do nearly enough. Even though we live a hundred miles apart we do still go to lunch together once a month.


    That's enough for now. Maybe I'll add more one of these days.
  23. hudson48
    Joined: Oct 16, 2007
    Posts: 2,697


    Probably my most adventerous was in 2018,shipping the Hudson to USA. It arrived in Oakland and myself and a New Zealand guy I met here on the HAMB flew into San Francisco and collected the car and started the first leg to Bakersfield. Next day moved on and started the Route66/I40 leg with stays in Williams(electrical problem here but partially solved), then onto Albuquerque. we were heading to Dewey OK for the Stray Kat 500 as our first event. Had a great 4 days there and enjoyed hospitality from Mickey and Travis. Then it was onto St Louis(Imperial) where my son's in laws live. Had a few days there and went to Kurt McCormicks place and saw his incredible collection of customs. He also took us to Mann Restorations who were working on his Barris 38 Ford Coupe.
    Next stop was Auburn IA and we did several Museums there. Then onto Detroit for more museums including the Ford Museum and the River Rouge FTruck assembly line. Also went to Ypsilanti for the Hudson Museum. At this point my NZ friend was leaving to go to Hawaii and another friend from CA joined us and he stayed on for the trip back West.
    On the trip across I had noticed the car wanting to wander and loos steering. We were recommended to go to a shop and promtply got lost with all the roadworks going on with the Interstate. Took an hour for a 20 min trip with the Garmin bitch sending us every which way. The guys in that shop did a great job and found the left hand upper arm bolts loose. After that it drove like a dream.
    In Detroit we hooked up with another HAMBER, Norm Campbell(MrHarley) who did a fantastic job of showing us around to some special shops to meet some incredible people including Boogie Man, Chuck Miller and Teddie Z.
    The with Rocky we headed west and took in the Studebaker Museum, the Gilmore Museum and then onto Lincoln NE for the Museum of Speed(Speedway Motors). On the way we also stayed in Le Claire
    and visited the American Pickers shop. Mike and Frank were in town but not at the shop.
    The Museum of Speed was outstanding and we spent a full day there.
    Kept heading west with the next destination Santa Maria for the WKC Custom Show. Caught up with John D'Agastino who I had met in Australia a couple of years earlier. I scored a Top Ten trophy there and was up there with Gene Winfield and John in the winners circle. What a buzz.
    Then it was time to head south to Rocky's place in Olivenhein CA and catch up ith friends there over a few days and then load the car for the trip home to Australia. Over a 4 week period I covered 6000 miles with the only problems being the electrical issue(finally fixed in Dewey), the steering in Detroit and a broken muffler support that we fixed in some little town that I can't remember.

    First photo is collecting the car in Oakland. Nest ones were taken by a guy we met in Dewey who spotted us on the highway. The Monterey Motel in Albuquerque,then the Munger Moss Hotel with the owner who had her 80th birthday that day. Also a shot at the Blue Swallow Motel next to a 56 Hudson. A few random shots after that. Too many to put up here but I did a continuing thread on the trip and will try to find that link.
    P1050788 (Medium).JPG On the road 1.jpg On the road 2.jpg P1060112 (Medium).jpeg P1060113 (Medium).jpeg P1050819 (Medium).jpeg P1050850 (Medium).jpeg P1050851 (Medium).jpeg P1060727 (Medium).jpeg P1060952 (Medium).jpeg P1070270 (Medium).jpeg With John D'Agastino and myself.jpg
    wicarnut, wheeldog57, HEMI32 and 8 others like this.
  24. Here’s a link to my blog site. Scroll down and click on June, 2014 to read about a trip I took to the 50th LARS. My first long trip in a car I built. Lots of fun.
  25. wicarnut
    Joined: Oct 29, 2009
    Posts: 5,142


    A trip I'll never forget and again my guardian Angel was watching over us. We loaded up the wife's 51 Buick Roadmaster and headed down the road to a car show, on I 39 running 70 mph, I say to wife, pull over now or I'll pee my pants, 68 at the time, this had never happened to me before, wife puts blinker on and goes for brakes to slow and Pedal goes to floor, NO brakes, She does not panic, with a little advice from me, we slow to get on shoulder, heavy traffic blasting by us blowing their horn, we slow down and use E Brake to stop car. I jump out, pee, now what are we going to do, OK we drive on shoulder slowly again with traffic blasting by, we get to an exit, againing using E Brake, get to a service station, I look see, IMO no roadside fix, call a flatbed and we ride home ln cab of flatbed, $495 later in our driveway. On inspection a new steel brake line had cracked at flare on seam where it goes into the wheel cylinder. After this I was going to change over to a dual master cylinder, but we decided to sell the car, move on. This event could have been a disaster with terrible results. In all my or wife's years/miles, never ran out of brakes, pretty scary.
  26. Mike, a most excellent read, long but very enjoyable. HRP
    hotrodharry2 and 3W JOHN like this.
  27. 3W JOHN
    Joined: Oct 8, 2015
    Posts: 773

    3W JOHN

  28. mike matters
    Joined: May 1, 2015
    Posts: 76

    mike matters

    Haven't done one yet but when truck is done hope to take it to back to the 50s from Edmonton

    Sent from my SM-A520W using The H.A.M.B. mobile app
    HOTRODPRIMER likes this.

Share This Page

Register now to get rid of these ads!


Copyright © 1995-2020 The Jalopy Journal: Steal our stuff, we'll kick your teeth in. Terms of Service. Privacy Policy.

Atomic Industry
Forum software by XenForo™ ©2010-2014 XenForo Ltd.