Register now to get rid of these ads!

Taking the plunge, chopping the Hudson. The "Panty Dropper" gets a haircut...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hudsoncustom, Jan 17, 2008.

1. DIRTYT

DIRTYT
    from Warren,MI

That looks real nice. I would have voted slanted but i see your point with the windows being out of proportion. i think one reason why fords and mercs look good slanted is cause the quater window gets alote smaller when you chop. but since the hudson starts out with a huge window the slant is not needed.

2. Big Dan

Big Dan

Looks great Keith,,, I wish I had the balls to do the same to my 51 Hornet........ If you were a little closer I 'd be suckin-up for you to do mine:D..... Keep the pics commin and maybe I;d grow a pair.....................

3. injunjoes

injunjoes

looks awesome very proportional keep up the good work

4. old beet

old beet

I looked it over in person tonite, you will not believe what a great chop this is! It is going together better than any chop I've seen. That sucker is Soooo, low. Makes my Merc look like Rosy O'Donnel layin on her back..............Had to spit a little puke out. Anyway, Hudson is the NEW Merc!!!!!....................OLDBEET

5. Thanks for coming by tonight to pick up the glass Beetle. Sorry the garage was so freaking cold. I should have had a couple of extra heaters and the new gaskets ready for you.

Thanks again!

6. dehudso

dehudso

That 2" chop really epitomizes what I think the hudson broughm should have looked like. Very nicely done.

One day we'll have to line up our hudsons and see if my little hemi can take on the BBF.

7. Pickledilley

Pickledilley

Loooooookin Good, I,ve chopped 8 in my time & I say "If it ain,t Chopped it ain,t Shit!

P.S. Did I see someone holding a BEER can ( BLUE RIBBON ) COOL , my Brand!! Choppin & drinkin COOL!!!

Pickle dilley:cool:

8. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

Please tell us that before you finished the "B" pillar (at least on the driver's side) you raised the rear of the door enough to match the profile of the quarter panel at the jamb. Otherwise it looks fantastic.

9. I haven't done the doors yet. An yes, I'll line up the door gaps

10. k-member

k-member

Was Old Beet swinging his arms around like a windmill to get the blood flowing? You how he hates it when his hands are cold.

11. No. He just kept his hands over the propane heater. It was fuckin' COLD last night...cold enough to not really get anything done on the car. I was hoping to get a bunch more welding accomplished...

12. Thats looks sweet, Keep the pix coming too. Fun to watch it all come together..

13. Keith, I was on the horn with K-Member and his member this afternoon while heading home from work and he told me you'd done this. I rushed home like a young school girl with her first period to see the pictures. Of the car. Not the school girl.

Amazing work and congratulations on going for it. I can't wait to see it in person.

14. HA HA! Thanks Anthony. One of these days I'll get around to updating some pics. There's not much new to look at...just a lot of welding going on. Once it's all ground out nicely, then I'll post some more photos.

15. lttlelindsey

lttlelindsey
    from So. Cal

16. Just a couple of new pics...

I've actually got quite a bit more done since these photos, just about everything is welded. I just finished up both door tops tonight. I had to put in new hinge pins, and re-align the latches, but I eventually got the doors lined up.

Lots of grinding to do, then some skim filler...then primer.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. old beet

old beet

Comin along great! Spring is here, get er' done!!.............OLDBEET

18. zibo

zibo
    from dago ca

Somehow this post escaped me,
    but man what a job!
    I like how you planned it out and it makes the car way tits.

The funny thing is I've got a 40 ford coupe that has the same "don't chop it" response,
    and after photochopping it finally got this model and planned it out.
    [​IMG]
    Its the same idea as yours, stretching above the decklid instead of the roof.
    I'm stoked you did this as its real similar to your cuts.

TP

19. sdrodder

sdrodder
    from Houston TX

nice chop. Nice car also. I realy like it.

20. 54EARL

54EARL
    from Idaho
    1. A-D Truckers

ok I am not a fan of "the choped top" however you have kicked its ass. That means I like what you have done.

21. Bondoboy

Bondoboy

I saw the before pic and i thought NOOO dont do it! But it looks way better chopped, still has the cool proportions..

22. zibo

zibo
    from dago ca

Hey finally found this.
    Any pics of the finished car?
    TP

23. Well, it's not "finished" finished yet, but it is coming along. Here's the prior threads:

2: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=251575

3: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=273441

4: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=275983

I put some duraglass in the seams, and gave the car a shot of dp sealer for the summer, intending not to get to anything until winter, but I'm knee deep in quarter panel / rocker panel rust repair now. ha ha.

This was a couple of weeks ago:

Attached Files:

24. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

hey! didn't I take that photo?! I demand royalties!

25. oj

oj

I feel for you, i just started a chop n' slash job myself. I am far enough along so that i can see that i never, ever want to do this again while at the same time it is way too cool. Glad i chose a truck, a sedan and rear window would cause me to jump off the Shenandoah River bridge. Keep up the good work, oj

26. nope. that's one of mine. :D

27. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

I call shenanigans! you must have been standing right beside me...

it was cool meeting you by the way, I'll probably die knowing that there is only one car in this world that I can't reach the pedals too...

28. zibo

zibo
    from dago ca

Dang i'm gone for a couple months and i musta missed all the good stuff!
    After the chop I think its just as cool as a merc would be...
    TP

29. 65PANELRAT

65PANELRAT

30. ha ha. no, i swear, that came from my camera, i uploaded it straight from the camera to this post.

good to meet you too, would have liked to chat longer, but at least you know there's another hot rodder out there who is taller....ha ha.